Replacing the L1T v2.0

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anybody point me towards a replacement for my Fenix L1T v2.0 Q2 that features a warm or neutral LED? The Fenix has been *perfect* for my uses, and the Quark in neutral white would have been ideal, but it seems those are no longer an option... Any ideas?

pipspeak

Enlightened
What happened to your L1T that made you need a replacement?

Some suggestions: Fenix TK20 (Q2/5A)? Lumapower Vantage (Q3/5A)? Dereelight Javelin (Q4/5A)

I think the quarks are lego-able, so you could get neutral 123 and regular 2AA and switch the heads, then sell the remainder as a single non-neutral 123 light.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
The Quark tactical warm tints are still available in 1xCR123 and 2xCR123 configurations. You could get a 1xCR123 Quark Tactical and buy a 1xAA Quark battery tube, or get a Quark 1xAA and buy the Quark Tactical warm head (0.9V ~ 4.2V). Quark "lego" can let you get what you want.

JetBeam Element E3P is available with a Q3-5A. Forward clickie, loosen the head for low, tighten for high, runs on AA. Definitely worth a look IMHO. It is a bit hefty though, and the smooth exterior might make it a bit difficult to handle.

If you are willing to go with a 2-level twisty (no tailcap switch) the NiteCore EZ AA might be worth looking at. There is also a thread in the marketplace where we are gathering interest in a Quark MiNi AA in neutral tint.

I am sure others will chime in with other options.

TooSharp

Newly Enlightened
4Sevens also mentioned a custom build service he may be offering in the future, you could spec a quark in neutral that way. He said it wouldn't be this year though. My AA Tactical Quark Neutral is one of the best lights I own!!

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent suggestions, and thanks for pointing out that thread in the marketplace coder!

I should point out why the L1T has been prefect. It is small, light weight and fairly bright. The single cell lasts over an hour on high (which means most nights it may require at most 1 battery change). I use this primarily as a helmet light for mountain biking and commuter biking. When its not in use the light and four spare batts stay in my pack parmenently so weight is premium. Further, I prefere the AA format as NiMH rechargables are more robust than Li-Ion and I have had better results in cold weather/high drain as well.

Nothing wrong with my L1T (although either its beginning to dim or my vision is decreasing...), just been out of the flashlight loop for a bit and curious if perfection has been improved upon (4 7's latest email with the quarks peaked my curiosity). Again, thanks for all the suggestions, hopefully nothing fits the bill ;)

shark_za

Enlightened
The more I learn about torches the more I appreciate my LGX200 (Leatherman branded L1T V2.0)
Its the perfect little taclight/EDC light.

Size, beam profile and function work for me !

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could swap the emitter in your L1T.

Actually, that is what I did. Going to be doing it again. These little lights have been some workhorses for me and although they have seen mostly shelf duty for the past couple years (no longer bicycle commuting) its time for a refresh again. Posting info for anyone who is interested and so that I have it saved here if I ever need to search it.

Last time: Upgraded all three lights; 1: XRE R2 "cool white" 2: XPG R4 "neutral white" 3: XPG R5 "cool white"
This time: Upgraded #1 to Nichia 219C D240 4000k 90+ CRI, 10mm copper pcb and I am trying to decide whether to upgrade #2 or #3 to Cree XPL-HI-U4 3000k 80+ CRI, 10mm copper pcb.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be screaming "holy necro-thread-bump, Batman" if the Fenix L1T v 2.0 wasn't such a great little light. Wish I still had mine (and the NDI...).

Hey, Fenix, bring it back!

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Enlightened
To necro it some more; I lost my L1T after 13 years and replaced it by a LD12. Pleasantly surprised. Easier 1-handed level change and no more coil whine.

pc_light

Enlightened
Didn't lose my even older L1P but figured it was time to upgrade/update. Couldn't be happier.
Fenix L1P.jpg

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never, ever liked Fenix as a brand. But I did have two Fenix that somewhat impressed me back in the day. My LT2 and my Millermods L2P. Both were 2AA monsters for back in the day and I used them as security lights a lot. I was never a fan of switching threw lights modes and still am not, so the twist bezel for high/low of the L2T and single mode L2P was perfect for my uses. Was never an L1P guy though. Just too dim.

pc_light

Enlightened
Many other lights but the one shown is Fenix E12 V2.0. It's the closest since it's Fenix, 1xAA and tail switch. Except it has 3 levels (no strobes) instead of the old L1P's single level and no memory (always starts Low).

That particular one I modded with a Nichia 219B SW45K. The grippy tape is added. Great light and I would recommend (even unmodded) for it's simplicity, dependability, efficiency and general utility.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
But nowhere near the same as it's way way way fatter.

It's shorter length is a bonus, but comes at the cost of taking a less common battery. AA's are sold nearly everywhere. CR123A's aren't.

My RRT01 works on AA.
With the extension tubes I believe it works with every battery.