[Review] Lumintop Tool 1xAAA XP-G2 Clicky (3 years of use)

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is why I believe there is parasitic drain.

When I go to bed, after I shut off the overhead light, I turn on the Flip it light until I craw into bed. Then that goes off and I turn the Tool AAA on for a few minutes, in its lowest mode, for no more than 3 minutes tops, while I get set up in bed to make my morning list on my iTouch. I turn off the TOOL AAA to make that list.

I just can't believe that after 3 weeks or 21-nights of just 3 minutes tops, the battery is dead. And this is not the first time.

Am I miscalculating here, or is this an example of parasitic drain? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Bolded for the part I am confused on. Do you turn the light off overnight?

When you turn the light off the cell is physically disconnected from the light it is not possible to have parasitic drain. Parasitic drain is in lights that use an electronic switch where the light is actually always powered but the LED is just turned off but the circuit is not. Parasitic drain happens when the circuit does not go into a powersavings mode either due to bad code or hardware bug. Think turning your screen off on the laptop compared to it going into standby.

What cells are you using in the light?

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Bolded for the part I am confused on. Do you turn the light off overnight?

When you turn the light off the cell is physically disconnected from the light it is not possible to have parasitic drain. Parasitic drain is in lights that use an electronic switch where the light is actually always powered but the LED is just turned off but the circuit is not. Parasitic drain happens when the circuit does not go into a powersavings mode either due to bad code or hardware bug. Think turning your screen off on the laptop compared to it going into standby.

What cells are you using in the light?

Thank you for your explanation.

Yes, the light is off overnight. I only have used it 3 minutes tops at a time. I use a Duracell AAA. I guess the light, when it is on, quickly drains the battery.

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
I dedomed mine. It throws very well for an AAA light and the tint is gorgeous. Maybe Gerald wants to do the same??

That's right. I was inspired to do it after hearing about increased throw and improved tint. I mean, who wouldn't? :twothumbs

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your explanation.

Yes, the light is off overnight. I only have used it 3 minutes tops at a time. I use a Duracell AAA. I guess the light, when it is on, quickly drains the battery.

21 x 3 mins/per use = 63 mins

Assuming you turned it on Medium and didn't turn it up to High mode, Lumintop quoted 4 hours of run time on Medium using a NiMH cell. I think the capacity of a non rechargeable AAA is lesser than the NiMH (correct me if I'm wrong guys), so the Duracell would definitely have lost some juice but I don't think it should be entirely drained.

What do you guys think?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got two tool ti's. Love the ui, turns on in med. Love the looks, same knurling as some custom stuff like my old tain p0. The threads are not as smooth as the tain, but it's a ti clicky so im fine with it. Got one "super throwy" with a 4000K qx-e hi led with rosy tint, and one more floody with a 4500K xp-l hi led. Prefer the the one with xq-e hi. The only drawback is the electronic switches on the ti versions don't like a 10440. Other than that, it's perfect. I don't even use my ti lf2xt anymore:twothumbs

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Gerald if you're enjoying the aluminum version you should definitely get yourself the copper version... I prefer the Nichia varieties myself! Not long ago when Gearbest was selling the copper version of the light they were liquidating them at like $28 per unit... I stocked up on several... Version 2 Foursevens Preon pocket clips pair nicely with the Tools as well:

FXNzzg1_d.jpg

Last edited:

The Hawk

Enlightened
Very nice review. I have had my Lumintop Tool AAA for about three years as well. Great EDC. I really love the small size and fantastic light output. I carry an extra AAA battery with me as well.

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
Got two tool ti's. Love the ui, turns on in med. Love the looks, same knurling as some custom stuff like my old tain p0. The threads are not as smooth as the tain, but it's a ti clicky so im fine with it. Got one "super throwy" with a 4000K qx-e hi led with rosy tint, and one more floody with a 4500K xp-l hi led. Prefer the the one with xq-e hi. The only drawback is the electronic switches on the ti versions don't like a 10440. Other than that, it's perfect. I don't even use my ti lf2xt anymore:twothumbs

Thanks for sharing Jorn! I do love that it turns on in Medium too. Used to hate it, but have grown to love it. I still wish for a hidden moonlight mode though :)

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
Gerald if you're enjoying the aluminum version you should definitely get yourself the copper version... I prefer the Nichia varieties myself! Not long ago when Gearbest was selling the copper version of the light they were liquidating them at like $28 per unit... I stocked up on several... Version 2 Foursevens Preon pocket clips pair nicely with the Tools as well:

Hey Wolfgaze, thanks for dropping by! I've heard a lot about the Nichia Hi CRI versions - thanks for sharing. Seeing something Foursevens related brings back memories of my first ever 'proper' light - the Foursevens Quark Pro

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
Very nice review. I have had my Lumintop Tool AAA for about three years as well. Great EDC. I really love the small size and fantastic light output. I carry an extra AAA battery with me as well.

Thanks The Hawk! Glad to see so many other people who enjoy the same light as myself. I've never had to carry a spare battery as I usually use my light for 10 to 30 seconds :D