Review: MiniMag 2AA LED: Alkaline & Comparitive Runtimes

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
(grin) Naturally, but letting them sit would give a result that's "less wrong". Very seldom do people do several run-time tests for alkalines, which is the only way to show what they can really manage.
chevrofreak said:
Somewhat, but it also doesn't take into account that most people won't run their light from full to dead in one shot.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Wish they had a boost circuit in the 2 AA like in the Fenix, so that you get the full drain out of the 2 AA's. There's no reason why the 2AA should be so much less bright than the 3 AA.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
Wish they had a boost circuit in the 2 AA like in the Fenix, so that you get the full drain out of the 2 AA's. There's no reason why the 2AA should be so much less bright than the 3 AA.

Sure there is, it's called runtime.

InfidelCastro

Banned
chevrofreak said:
Sure there is, it's called runtime.

Not really, I'm willing to live with less runtime to have 3AA output. I think most people would. My 2AA L2T runs for plenty long on high.

I don't know what the fascination is with long runtime mediocre output lights. I can understand it if you're going caving or something, but that's just not my thing.

Last edited:

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which is why the market can support multiple torches. Not everyone is willing to sacrifice run-time for output.
InfidelCastro said:
I don't know what the fascination is with long runtime mediocre output lights. I can understand it if you're going caving or something, but that's just not my thing.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkaline Runtime 2 Data: This runtime was carried out with same batteries as above runtime test with a gap of 2 days. After the continious discharge from the above test the Alkaline battery has recovered to some extent. Notice how much energy was still left in the batteries
RT_MiniMag2AA_LED_Alk2.gif

Alkaline Runtime 2 Chart for above numbers
RT_MiniMag2AA_LED_Alk2_Chart.gif

Consolidated Review Available Here

NextLight

Enlightened
FWIW,

My first MM 2AA LED is still running fine on 1 AW protected 14500 Li-Ion. It runs about 30 minutes in 1 minute bursts, or about 40-45 minutes continuous. Cold it is a bit brighter than a 3AA MM LED, but throttles back quickly, staying only slightly warm.

I melted the plastic & fried the LED on a MM 2 C-D PR Series LED replacement module running on the same Li-Ion cell, inside a LEDean 1AA MM incan cutdown. It died on the 6th ~40 minute cycle. Current draw at turnon was over 1A at over 4V. It got quite hot. Back to the drawing board.

A 4 cell LED replacement module is presently living in my 3D to 4C modded Mag body, running on 4 Powerizer C NiMH cells. It is warmish but seems to handle the heat better, and has a great beam, but I don't have runtimes or other data yet.

Last edited: