REVIEW: Nitecore Concept 1 (C1) Flashlight

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
That switch looks like an accident waiting to happen. Seems like something which would get turned on in my pack or broken when it hits the ground hard. Recessed switch For me whenever possible on a smaller EDC hand held light. Nice review!

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That switch looks like an accident waiting to happen. Seems like something which would get turned on in my pack or broken when it hits the ground hard. Recessed switch For me whenever possible on a smaller EDC hand held light. Nice review!

It won't turn on if you give the tail cap a 1/4 turn to loosen as stated in the review and directions - you don't want to carry it "loaded" as it would be easy to turn on and 1800 + Lumens could probably do some damage if up against the wrong thing. I can only hold my hand on the front of the lens for about 1 second on turbo before it gets painfully hot. It does have a drop test rating so I don't believe the switch would be damaged easily.

Last edited:

Screwball69N

Newly Enlightened
Great light on my Secound one already my first one the switch quite working don't know why nothing was physically broke but you couldn't feel that little click anymore so it just didn't work anyone else have the switch stop working

taeraeyttaejae

Newly Enlightened
I have EC4S and I consider it really bulky, could this C1 be considered as good EDC? I don't mind hot flashlight as nights in finland get cold when it gets dark, and usually I use flashlight as a bicycle light, or as a repair assistance lamp when at shop. Pricepoint is a *bit* high compared to olight s20 that my wife stole(35eur vs 50eur)

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
It won't turn on if you give the tail cap a 1/4 turn to loosen as stated in the review and directions - you don't want to carry it "loaded" as it would be easy to turn on and 1800 + Lumens could probably do some damage if up against the wrong thing. I can only hold my hand on the front of the lens for about 1 second on turbo before it gets painfully hot. It does have a drop test rating so I don't believe the switch would be damaged easily.

Sometimes when cold and tired on the trail things get forgotten. I do always attempt to lock out lights but things just happen in the woods. Also unless mistaken someone already reported a broken switch. Ratings sometimes aren't real life. I don't think this gear item is for me though enjoyed the review.

Here is a video of the failure which I believe was posted on CPF already. For full disclosure I am a Nitecore fan and have reviewed stuff for them before. This is not my video however agree with his assessment.

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, only those who constantly need to access ALL brightness levels of their lights will find the Concept 1's UI cumbersome. I agree that it's quite a hassle to have to turn off the light, then hold the switch to browse through the different brightness levels.
I don't need to access all modes all the time but I'm using a couple of them regularily and I'm not the only one. Nitecore complicated the most basic thing in a flashlight and to me it's a solid deal breaker. Press and hold should be used to change modes (I'm not a fan of that solution either but it's better than nothing), press+press and hold should go to turbo. They did that in the D10 series long time ago and it was brilliant. More - I wouldn't mind if they'd copy that UI to this flashlight. I'd also like to see neutral XHP35 HI emitter inside.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have EC4S and I consider it really bulky, could this C1 be considered as good EDC? I don't mind hot flashlight as nights in finland get cold when it gets dark, and usually I use flashlight as a bicycle light, or as a repair assistance lamp when at shop. Pricepoint is a *bit* high compared to olight s20 that my wife stole(35eur vs 50eur)

I would consider this more of a "gentleman's light" than an EDC. It looks nice and is small clipped to a pair of dress slacks, for example.
The absolute must locking out the light at the tail cap and odds I would drop it often as EDC knocks it out of EDC rotation.

If you really like the C1, the EC23 is much the same but has a more traditional and stronger switch design. For you, it'd also be better as it has a standard 1" tube that works with many bike mounts. And it's cheaper.

I reviewed it as well if you want to read more long-windedness...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/5140222

The EC4 is big for EDC.

Sometimes when cold and tired on the trail things get forgotten. I do always attempt to lock out lights but things just happen in the woods. Also unless mistaken someone already reported a broken switch. Ratings sometimes aren't real life. I don't think this gear item is for me though enjoyed the review.

Here is a video of the failure which I believe was posted on CPF already. For full disclosure I am a Nitecore fan and have reviewed stuff for them before. This is not my video however agree with his assessment.

Woods, thanks for the kind feedback on the review itself.
If I could pick any light from those I own or have reviewed to think "not for the woods", this would be right up there. :)

boomshiva

Newly Enlightened
Really good review! Was tempted to pick up the Concept 1 but think I'll wait a bit longer for a light that can sustain that kind of output for longer than just "show off" times. I live in Bombay, which is a pretty hot place, so expect those Turbo run times to be even shorter. The switch doesn't appeal to me either...too much of a headache. Good thing I saw this review before calling the shop!