REVIEW: Nitecore MT40GT (XP-L Hi V3 , 2x18650)

realista

Enlightened
5vutpCy.jpg

(i am not so good to write in english, i am surely making a lot of grammar error, so please be compliant with me. I accept suggestions and corrections if you wanna point me where i wrote a "strange phrase" and suggest me the correct way to express myself in the english language)

First impressions:
Shipped from: GearBest for review purpose

This is one of the latest creature built by NITECORE which is part if the new "GT" series.
This range of flashlight use the latest CREE led XP-L hi V3 , a dedomed led built directly by Cree.inc factories. (no more manual dedome for us!!)
This led is the cause nitecore released an updated MT40, and here you can notice 2 big improvements:
1- 1000 lumens over 960 of the MT40
2- 95400cd peak beam intensity over 46000cd of the MT40

The overall size is something among a "small" and a "big" torch… and i really like it.
The head is the only one "big" thing you can notice, although the rest of the body is thin like a regular "cigar" 18650 flashlight, i compared with my thrunite TN12 2014 or Nitecore EC11 and diameter is the same.
So it's easy to handle the same way you do with every other "cigar" shape flashlight, a nice PRO imho.

S6KUOWh.jpg

MdYsCCR.jpg

PpMAHfs.jpg

TeH5FSW.jpg

jPYsQD1.jpg

HKY8RUK.jpg

T6VIZ7f.jpg

p1S2aG8.jpg

MU4n7eg.jpg

VgiF6cb.jpg

MVV8kZU.jpg

UsZ7G35.jpg

REq62Jt.jpg

vENRJIR.jpg

jr8aNzP.jpg

AR0uaqL.jpg

PEwhKM1.jpg

50KhISG.jpg

Modes and estimated lumens:
Switch type: MECHANICAL
There are " 6 " modes in the following order: Hi – med – low – sos – strobo (turbo explained)

BUT there's a special twisty switch system used to choose 2 fast modes, when you completely screw the body tube into the "head" you are in TURBO mode, and the back switch is only an ON/OFF button. When you slightly UNscrew the head...you have the user defined mode ( that can be hi, med, low, sos, strobo).
So, in the "unscrewed head" mode you have the CLASSIC rear clicky switch, that you can slighly press to change the next mode, but everytime you completely SCREW the head there's the direct turbo mode.

My estimated lumens are 1000

>>>LIGHT >>> The angle of refraction:
2htwLKf.jpg

Weight and dimensions measurements (made myself, not by specs):
This flashlight weighs precisely 244,3 gr
Height 22,2 cm
Diameter 2,5 cm
Head diameter 5 cm

Construction quality:
As you would expect from a nitecore product, the quality of this unit isn't an exception.
The lettering is very precise and i can't see any damaged or low quality assembled part, the rear switch is really precise.
Also the knurling is manufactured with nice quality but i noticed that there isn't an anti-rolling system, so when you place the flashlight on to a flat surface like a table, it can roll over.

THIS IS A THROWER!! the beam profile allow you to illuminate long distances thanks to a small spot, but a quite usable spill is still present and you're able to walk by night and see where you put your feet. Obviously it's not a perfect flashlight to use in low range spaces!
I compared the max beam distance with my Courui D01 and ….. it's quite comparable ( the nitecore has more range!)
This is a nice outcome for a such small diameter head flashlight!

Lanyard hole: PRESENT (two)

Threads came FULLY GREASED and this is a good point.

l3pfGZl.jpg

1Ms3Ose.jpg

7qHdHOa.jpg

ixGxWSP.jpg

pa7dex6.jpg

g14YHNk.jpg

WwNNfV2.jpg

yJg6ANh.jpg

5Vg813d.jpg

KZqkEZ9.jpg

SwCOaut.jpg

7TzsMcX.jpg

hUxHLqM.jpg

fqczcuo.jpg

n80wwFi.jpg

plwcy24.jpg

ae1au6A.jpg

KFKLTbs.jpg

6PaSKJP.jpg

yZFgSQM.jpg

2MW1pcM.jpg

SZJI4gd.jpg

Led Tint, reflector and lense:
The led is well centered and its tint is pure white, tending to warm at my eyes.
Reflector made of: SMOOTH – ALUMINUM
Lense made of: GLASS with anti-reflective coating

hsyb1wn.jpg

f5FfY8k.jpg

gI6xBKf.jpg

HR67slR.jpg

DXrwQYe.jpg

Outside beamshot at 25 meters, only at FULL power (same place for all my reviews)
(1GIF)
Wall beamshot at 250 centimeters, from lower to higher power (same place for all my reviews)
NLY8eZB.gif

Ceiling bounce test with LUXmeter:
cvJSNRu.jpg

ALZVwja.jpg

Dqbd6dL.png

PROS:
- throws beam far away
- one of the smallest "thrower" available
- uses the new xp-l Hi led
- special "twisty" turbo mode

CONS:
- no anti-rolling system on flat surface

Final thoughts and why you should buy it:
If you are searching for a flashlight to illuminate long distances but you are afraid to carry with you a massive flashlight… this is the suitable flashlight for you.
You could (for example) use the user-defined mode Strobo + turbo mode and walk around a woodland during night using turbo mode and in an instant moment slighly Unscrew the head (very easy) and start the dazzling strobo mode against a potential aggressor!!
And finally, the price for this little piece of future isn't so much high for all this you're buying :)

Thanks for reading.....
….and if you notice some bad written phrases, feel free to correct me suggesting the right way to write it!! :)

Last edited:

swordfish2

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the nice detailed review. Lots of pictures.
I am more interested in the wooden stands. What are those?

realista

Enlightened
i made it myself a lot of years ago.... when i was child.... at school , for a project :)

RemcoM

Enlightened
The Olight M3X UT Javelot, does much better, this has only the ice of the old stock TK75, but with much less lumens.

There are lights on the market, that will throw much further.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Olight M3X UT Javelot, does much better, this has only the ice of the old stock TK75, but with much less lumens.

There are lights on the market, that will throw much further.
True, but for the price, I thought the MT40GT is a good value.........especially when picked up on sale.

Nice review Realista. I haven't seen much conversation on this light and thought I was one of the few that actually had one. I'm not into throwers but like to have at least one without having to spend too much. I don't care for the twisty mode changing and the reverse direction of going from high-med-low mixed in with the strobes, but I intend to just leave the head tight for max mode and only use this as a hobby light thrower when out camping and in the woods etc.

I did a little testing myself and the estimated lux converted to lumens from my light box are 105/320/635/1015 against the stated specification of 90/250/500/1000........so close enough. As far as beam intensity at 2 meters I measured 20600 lux (82400 candela) against a specification of 95400. Again close enough for me. I can't rule out some error on my behalf either.

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. This light is looks to be a great value for a quality thrower. And i like the option of using the tactical ring, because i hate dropping my lights. I'll be checking around for sales.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi, can you show me a picture of your light box?........
I patterned my light box design after reading this.
http://www.flashlightreviews.ca/Lightbox.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/lightbox_output.htm

I used a cardboard 1/2 gallon Florida's orange juice carton. Milk carton would work too. It needs to be white inside. I made a removable top. I wrapped the outside with tinfoil. There is baffle inside to keep the flashlight beam from directly contacting the sensor. The light just reflects off the walls. It's not as good as a sphere, but is consistent in comparison from one flashlight to another. And like Selfbuilt, after testing dozens of lights and comparing to manufacturers specs, I came up with an equation to convert lux to lumens. I have no idea how accurate it is but seems to be OK. Best of all I can do data logging and plot in Excel to verify how well regulated and efficient a light is. It's been fun.

Now I want a Spectrophotometer to measure tint!

g9Gq1ND.jpg

9aKsX1B.jpg

realista

Enlightened
why to put tinfoil on the outside?
and the 2 pictures seem to show different holes... first picture is round on second picture it's not clear if hole ( where you insert flashlight)) is round or square....

and this design of box is not ok for big diameter reflector flashlights...a lot of spill light CANNOT enter in the box.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure why the tinfoil. I just followed the directions in those links. Probably don't need it. There is a round hole in the front and you can see some templates with smaller holes off to the side that I tape over the bigger hole for smaller flashlight diameters. 2nd picture is looking straight down from the top (with the top removed). I check total lumens out of the light so for me spill, hotspot and corona (the whole beam) goes into the light box. I suppose with the templates, you can experiment different ways.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the review! This looks like a good solid compact super thrower. To bad its over a year to late to the party. If it had a side switch instead of head turning to go through the modes I may have actually considered it. NC really needs a thrower to fill in the HUGE throw gap between say this light and the TM36 that is still compact. The TM16GT is okay a bit on the too big side though. Wow nobody still has come out with a real M3XS-UT competitor yet even the new Armytek Barracuda XP-l HI get smoked by the big Javelot. Hmph....

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the review! This looks like a good solid compact super thrower. To bad its over a year to late to the party. If it had a side switch instead of head turning to go through the modes I may have actually considered it........
I probably wouldn't have bought one if it wasn't for a sale price.......but I needed (or should I say wanted) a thrower and only really intend to use it in head tight, turbo mode. I kind of despise the head loosened, user defined mode with the strobe and SOS mixed in with the mode sequencing. You basically lose the momentary function of the tail cap switch when in this mode and that is the thing I probably like the least about the MT40GT. The Nitecore lights similar in size (Markr6 calls toilet plunger lights, :green:) are:

MT40GT / $79.95:thumbsup: / XP-L HI, V3 / 95400cd / 245gr.:thumbsup: / 50mm head / 90-250-500-1000 lumens / no USB / head tight for turbo, head loose for other modes, no side switch
MH40GT / $129.00 / XP-L HI, V3 / 161300cd :thumbsup:/ 302gr. / 60mm head / 13-88-325-1000 lumens / USB / head tight for turbo, head loose for other modes, no side switch
MH41 / $139.00 / XHP-50 / 61,400cd / 321gr. / 60mm head / 1-90-580-1230-2150 lumens :thumbsup: / USB / up-dn side mode select switch :thumbsup:

As is mostly the case with me, there is no perfect arrangement for what pleases me the most. I like the price, size & weight of the MT40GT, the throw of the MH40GT, the mode spacing of the MH40GT & MH41, and specifically I love the up-dn mode select switch of the MH41 which Nitecore has been putting on a few lights.

Last edited:

defbear

Newly Enlightened
I purchased the MT40GT during the last sale. I can't believe how it lights thing up 3 blocks away. Nice it came with two batteries. This one has the proprietary charger. Not sure how much I will use the internal charger with two 18650's inline.