REVIEW: Nitecore SRT9 Flashlight

shawn a.

Newly Enlightened
Great review- lots of info.
One question, to detect PWM, I usually shake the light as fast as possible while looking at the head, or sweeping my arm quickly while looking at the reflection in a mirror or a window. I couldn't see any of the strobe effect while almost dislocating my arm. How did you spot the PWM?
Nice light for my purposes here in a forest where I can only see les than 100 yards into the trees. I,too love the control ring.

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
Great review- lots of info.
One question, to detect PWM, I usually shake the light as fast as possible while looking at the head, or sweeping my arm quickly while looking at the reflection in a mirror or a window. I couldn't see any of the strobe effect while almost dislocating my arm. How did you spot the PWM?
Nice light for my purposes here in a forest where I can only see les than 100 yards into the trees. I,too love the control ring.

shawn,

Aim the flashlight at a ceiling fan and try the different levels. PWM will be obvious because the blades will look like they stopped spinning.

iNDiGLo

shawn a.

Newly Enlightened
Howdy iNDiGLo,
hey, how did you know I had a ceiling fan? Anyway I tried it with the various fans in our house at all of their various speeds, and still saw no strobing or PWM. I can usually detect it by doing the shaking thing or swinging it in front of a mirror or window, but I get a steady light when I do that. My serial number is 7062188950074. Perhaps they changed the software or something. I'm not complaining - just curious. I really like the light, it's my first Nitecore product, and I just ordered a headlamp for a Christmas gift, and am eyeing another light for myself. I have all the lights I need and can use, and I thought I was a recovering flashaholic until a buddy of mine dangled the Nitecore name in an email and I suffered an ongoing relapse! I'm hopeless!
Shawn

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy iNDiGLo,
hey, how did you know I had a ceiling fan? Anyway I tried it with the various fans in our house at all of their various speeds, and still saw no strobing or PWM. I can usually detect it by doing the shaking thing or swinging it in front of a mirror or window, but I get a steady light when I do that. My serial number is 7062188950074. Perhaps they changed the software or something. I'm not complaining - just curious. I really like the light, it's my first Nitecore product, and I just ordered a headlamp for a Christmas gift, and am eyeing another light for myself. I have all the lights I need and can use, and I thought I was a recovering flashaholic until a buddy of mine dangled the Nitecore name in an email and I suffered an ongoing relapse! I'm hopeless!
Shawn
I'm not indiglo but as OP I assume you don't mind me replying!

Did you try on very low?

I said it in the review, but I couldn't see pwm on high output... it was only when it was at the very low end of the output (white light, not red/blue/green/uv), ultralow, where it was obvious.

shawn a.

Newly Enlightened
Hello Bdm82,
Yes I expected to see it (if it was there) on the lowest white setting only. I'm going to try to spot it with a photo on my camera, but I think I know what it should look like to my eyes. Am I right in assuming that PWM is sometimes used to accomplish a lower output? I have a few lights that "strobe" when they're on lower levels, and it's not generally bothersome unless it's a real slow "blink". But again, I have no problem with it whether I can perceive it or not.
Great review by the way, I thought I was a hopeless flashaholic, but I can see I'm an amateur! Just tried the camera and I couldn't see it there either. The lowest setting I could get it to seems noticeably brighter than .1 lumen according to my mark 1 eyeballs.
Thanks for the reply
Shawn

thgilhsalf

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for this nice and detailed review! SRT9 might be one of the popular model of Nitecore. I like its smart selector ring design and colored leds, just purchased one few days ago. Hope it will work well.

Daniel Boros

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for this excellent review. Could you tell me how you measure the output power? (What instruments you use?)

Last edited by a moderator:

carteriii

Newly Enlightened
Would someone people offer a subjective opinion on the throw of the SRT9 compared to the SRT7GT? At ~100-200 yards or meters, is the beam width significantly wider on the SRT9? Is the intensity within the hot spot incrementally or significantly more? While overall light output of the SRT9 is greater, the orange peel reflector and head would seem to provide a slightly wider and more even bream rather than significantly brighter at distance or greater distance. I already have an SRT7GT, so when would you reach for the SRT9 instead of the SRT7GT? Is there a significant enough difference that it's worth having both? And yes, I know the answer is that more lights is always better! If the SRT9 had significantly more throw, it would be a no-brainer for me to add to my collection, but the SRT9 doesn't seem different enough.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for this excellent review. Could you tell me how you measure the output power? (What instruments you use?)
Thanks! Instruments are noted at the end of the review (post 1).

Would someone people offer a subjective opinion on the throw of the SRT9 compared to the SRT7GT? At ~100-200 yards or meters, is the beam width significantly wider on the SRT9? Is the intensity within the hot spot incrementally or significantly more? While overall light output of the SRT9 is greater, the orange peel reflector and head would seem to provide a slightly wider and more even bream rather than significantly brighter at distance or greater distance. I already have an SRT7GT, so when would you reach for the SRT9 instead of the SRT7GT? Is there a significant enough difference that it's worth having both? And yes, I know the answer is that more lights is always better! If the SRT9 had significantly more throw, it would be a no-brainer for me to add to my collection, but the SRT9 doesn't seem different enough.

I'll get both out this weekend and compare... get a comparison pic at that length if possible.

As for when i reach for either, the srt7gt has more wow factor. It has 50% more throw, and the lumens are much more concentrated. It is lighter weight and so easier to pocket. So I grab it when using for quick stints, when showing to others, or when I don't have other batteries charged.

But the srt9 is a more balanced light. More flood lumens and around a campsite, yard, or field, they're definitely noticed. But it gives up the longer range targeting. 2x the battery. It also handles heat very well. So I grab it when I don't know what I'll need or for how long.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast

I took these pictures thinking they'd be around 100m. Google Maps (edit: and a rangefinder) says 80m; sorry they aren't in your 100-200m request range.

That said, I do think they show the difference in beam profile and lumen output. (Both pictures taken ISO 1600, 1/4" exposure, daylight white balance.)

SRT7GT:
36852571401_778966470b_c.jpg

SRT9:
36157148844_d108136894_c.jpg

Last edited:

1jono

Newly Enlightened
Excellent review,thanks👍
Have had my SRT9 for a month now and it really is a well rounded balanced light.I use it most of the time except when I need a bit more throw then I reach for my EC4GT.They compliment each other really well!I used to pair the EC4GT with my EC4S but the parasitic drain on the EC4S was too much for me😱So The SRT9 has replaced my EC4S with the benefits of the excellent magnetic control ring and coloured LED's Etc.

Last edited:

shawn a.

Newly Enlightened
Well, one thing I've noticed about my light is that it does not seem to be hard anodized. It seems that the only part of it that is anodized is the control ring itself, the rest seems to be painted. Bare metal and overspray can be seen inside the battery compartment. The paint has chipped off on the tailcap and a few other places that protrude.
Serial number 7062188950074.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was a stellar review! The SRT9 is a bit too large for my coat pocket. My favorite SRT Nitecore is and always has been the SRT6. Yes the SRT with zero colored secondary LEDs. With two CR123 cells in my SRT6 output jumps a LOT. This SRT9 does indeed have near every gizmo a modern multi feature LED light can have. As for PWM I am not surprised that the SRT9 uses PWM on the lower outputs. Chances are max output does NOT use PWM.

I am at kind of a loss as to why NC has not upgraded the SRT3,5 and 6. They all sell well.