Review of / Measurement on Xtar WP2 II charger

HKJ

Flashaholic
One more question, is it safe to charge an 18650 3100 or 3400 mAH battery with 2 amp setting with the Xtar SP2? Which setting is best? 500 mAH, 1a or 2 a? Thanks again! I'm thinking of getting the Orbtronic kit with Xtar SP2 and 2 x 18650 3400.

It is probably safe enough, but you will wear the battery down, especially the 3100mAh battery. For most 18650 batteries the 1A settings is the safest bet.

Proteckt3d

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, just a small question that's been on my mind. I have the reviewed charger, and while charging on 1 amp setting my CGR18650CH is becoming warm, but not hot, and I want to know if this may shorten the life of the battery. I don't have a lot of experience with rechargeable batteries, I started vaping at the begging of this year.
Thank's.
proteckt3d

Last edited:

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
My charger gets warm but not the batteries on 500 mAh and 1a. Batteries stay room temp unless I use 2a and then it gets a little warm.

Proteckt3d

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so today I used both battery bays with the charger set at .5A, one 18350 and one 18650 battery and they both got a little warm but they started to cool down towards the finish, I assume after 4.0 V. Is that bad? Is it just my charger that does that?

trx430ex

Newly Enlightened
I thought it would. I know there some size differences. I just wanted to be sure before I try it. Thanks for your input.

I just had one of these drop dead on me, can anyone tell me what the warranty is?

Purchase date is 7/28/12

Thanks

filip a

Newly Enlightened
can 10180 battery be used- Xtar WP2 II charger

can 10180 battery be used in Xtar WP2 II charger with spacers. Charge current: 50/200 mA. thanks

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: can 10180 battery be used- Xtar WP2 II charger

can 10180 battery be used in Xtar WP2 II charger with spacers. Charge current: 50/200 mA. thanks

Physically, yes. You can buy an extra pair of spacers and double the four up and get the 10180 to fit and make contact, I presume, but at the 500mA and 1A charging rates, you wouldn't want to do this.

I bought an Xtar VP2, in part, because of its 250mA rate being better for my 16340 cells.

10440s and 10180s are most probably a 'no go', since the 500mA charging rate is well over 1C for those particular cells.

Chris

markr6

Flashaholic

I was charging an 18650 on my WP2 II for about an hour. I took it out and used it in the light a bit. When I put it back into the charger, the two indicator lights dimmed and went out in about 2 seconds. Now it's dead. Very strange! I will try the car adapter cord to see if it's the power supply or something with the charger.

I wiggled the cord to see if maybe it had a short but doesn't seem to be the case. This hasn't seen much use over the past 2 years so I'm surprised it died.

Edit: I didn't have the car charger cord with me, so I used the supply powering my external harddrive. It worked! I'm sure I have a spare adapter at home so I should be good to go.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

Edit: I didn't have the car charger cord with me, so I used the supply powering my external harddrive. It worked! I'm sure I have a spare adapter at home so I should be good to go.

M.E. has the 1A wall warts for $1.25. XtarDirect has a them as well, IIRC.

The Xtar WP2 II adapter actually fits an 02 Cool 12v fan that I break out and use on the patio during the humid summer hurricane months, I should probably pick up a couple of extra ones, just to have for the VP2 and the WP2 II, or whatever else can use a 3.5mm 12vdc input.

Let's face it, these electronic gizmos are made to a very low price point and having a 1 cent resistor blow out, or a 2 cent capacitor die, isn't all that surprising.

Chris

markr6

Flashaholic

Let's face it, these electronic gizmos are made to a very low price point and having a 1 cent resistor blow out, or a 2 cent capacitor die, isn't all that surprising.

Yeah I won't hold this against Xtar. I trust them the most for chargers so I'm glad to see it wasn't something with the actual charging unit.