REVIEW: Sigma Sport Speedster frontlight

Flyingtest

Newly Enlightened
(Picture heavy)

Good day and welcome to a new review. This time I'll be reviewing for you the the Speedster bicycle headlight made by the German Sigma Sport. :)
Sigma_Logo.png

6108_0102_N1301.jpg

The Sigma Speedster is a stVZO compliant waterproof LED bicycle front light running on a built-in lithium-ion battery. It is rechargeable via a micro-usb port. Thanks to the stVZO regulation the lamp will light up the road ahead but it won't blind oncomming traffic when set up correctly.

DSC04285.jpg
DSC04315.jpg

The first thing that I noticed was the bulkiness of the light.. You expect something smaller and lighter from a li-ion LED light. The workmanship is however excellent and it is clearly a top of the range model. It is fully enclosed, screws or bolts are nowhere to be seen.

DSC04311.jpg
DSC04309.jpg

What's more in the package you get a compact 1000ma rated mains power adapter, an USB to micro-usb cable and a very tiny manual.

DSC04321.jpg

Technical.

With an aluminium head part the LED gets nicely cooled during usage. Furthermore thanks to a special reflector and lens optics combination it creates a very usable beam profile, even though the LED is centered in the reflector. Outdoor shots of the beam can be found further down. On each side of the head is a transparent slot for side visibility.

DSC04293.jpg
DSC04301.jpg

The cool white LED is current controlled, what method is unknown.

On the top side there is a battery indicator consisting of five green LED's and one blinking red LED. These are only on when in use. The green LED's signal 100% to 5% charge. The red LED goes on between 5% and 0% charge when all the green ones are off. I found the LED's a little too bright and therefore distracting.

DSC04363.png

Also on the top is a rubberized on/off button. Despite it's rather small size, the button is tactile because it lies in a recessed shape.

DSC04304.jpg

On the bottom is a rubber flap, underneath it is a micro-usb slot for charging the battery.

DSC04297.jpg
DSC04298.jpg

Sigma says the light is waterproof, but to what extent is not clear. I would therefore not recommend immersing it in water, though it is all-weather proof when cycling.

The light comes with a detacheable steering mount, which is seperatly available on the market if you need a spare. The mounting mechanism to the handlebar is quite unique, using a teeth in groove system for easy detaching. It does not fit correctly over the handlebar tape on dropbars.

DSC04286.jpg
DSC04288.jpg
DSC04289.jpg

The fix to the light itself is solid. You attach the light by sliding it on from the back. I found this somewhat difficult in the dark, it's not easy to attach it on feeling.

DSC04296.jpg

Usage.

To turn the light on, press the switch on top 2 times with a short interval. It turns on in low output mode (70 lumens). By pressing it once, it will change it's output to medium (160 lumens) and with another press it goes to high (230 lumens). The lumens information is derived from Sigma itself.
To turn the light off, press and hold the power button for ~2 seconds.

Beamshots:
The main beam starts ~3 meters in front of the light in a narrow oval shape.
I've tried to mimic reality as much as possible with the camera shots.

Low
DSC04344.jpg

Medium
DSC04345.jpg

High
DSC04346.jpg

The Speedster lights up the road very well, near and far. Though the main beam is a bit narrow to my taste. I used it mostly on the low output, I found this to be the most comfortable.

Runtimes
The high and medium outputs seem unusable for long use, a better terminology would be a 'turbo' and 'high' setting, looking at the runtimes and still quite high brightness of the 'low' output.
When the battery reaches 5% charge, the LED will automaticaly step down to the low output.

Low (e.g. standard): 8 hours and 30 minutes.

Medium (e.g. high):
4 hours.

High (e.g. turbo):
2 hours and 20 minutes.

Weight
including mounting bracket: 183 grams

Verdict:

Pros: usable non-blinding beam profile, stVZO compliant, cooling of the LED, weatherproof, sturdy feeling, nice design, quality mounting mechanism, USB rechargeable, package includes USB mains adapter.

Mediocre: runtimes, no replaceable battery.

Cons: too big, too heavy (for what it is), distracting battery indicator LED's. Not advisable for dropbars with tape.

I give it a score of: 6 out of 10.

I hope the review was usefull, let me know what you think about it. :santa:

Cheers,

Flyingtest

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the review!

I like the beam... looks very even. The USA needs more stVZO compliant headlights on the bike paths and roads (at least near me).

230 lumens is less than my battery powered headlight, but could be sufficient with this beam. I'm a little surprised that the run time is a bit over 2 hours at this output level. I don't have experience with the lithium batteries, but just assumed that it could provide more energy. At least it should be much lighter than my light powered by four NiMH AA batteries.

Flyingtest

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the review!
Nice to hear you appreciate it.

(...) At least it should be much lighter than my light powered by four NiMH AA batteries.

Well that's the thing, for example the B&M Ixon IQ premium, which has about the same output and runs on 4 AA's, weighs only ~60 grams more and has 3x the runtime.
So the Speedster is I think a bit heavy for what you get.

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you suppose the optics are contributing to the high weight? The design is somewhat unique.

Any idea what battery is used? It seems like the 18650 is a popular choice. I haven't used them, or any lithium battery, so I'm not familiar with the capacity.

Flyingtest

Newly Enlightened
Now that you say it I think it's a combination of the optics, it's quite thick plastic, and the heatsink (including the outer aluminium of the head). What I noticed is that all the weight is in the aluminium head.
I do not know what li-ion battery is used, but looking at the output and runtime, I guess it's around 2500mah. There are 18650's on the market with 2600mah capacity, so it could be an 18650.

Last edited:

Latest posts