Review: Spark SG6 NW (XML2, 1x 18650) With real world beamshots, usage, & runtimes

mhanlen

Enlightened
Review: Spark SG6 NW (XML2, 1x 18650) With real world beamshots, usage, & runtimes

Video Review: Spark SG6 NW

Alright so here's my latest review of a Spark headlamp. I have reviewed a total of four headlamps for Spark including the SG3, SG5, and my most recent- the ST6. The light uses a constant output runtime, with the exception of super mode- which you can see in my time-lapse video runtime tests. Not only have I included comparisons to other 18650 headlamps, I compared the SG6 with it's standard bare emitter configuration against the optional SG series reflector.

If you haven't watched any of my reviews, know that they're a bit different in that they're not a table top style, and contain bad jokes. I shot this on the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera over the 4th of July weekend, so there's fireworks too for a patriotic feel. Anyway I hope you like it. Subscribe to my YouTube Channel if you like my style of review. Make sure to watch the review in full screen 1080p, so you can appreciate the full resolution. Thanks again! This headlamp was provided by Spark for review.

Last edited:

thomas_sti_red

Newly Enlightened
Re: Review: Spark SG6 NW (XML2, 1x 18650) With real world beamshots, usage, & runtime

I like the review. Not as fact-packed as some but definitely fun to watch. Thanks.

I like the light as well I think.

Thomas

mhanlen

Enlightened
Re: Review: Spark SG6 NW (XML2, 1x 18650) With real world beamshots, usage, & runtime

I like the review. Not as fact-packed as some but definitely fun to watch. Thanks.

I like the light as well I think.

Thomas

Let's call them infotainment. But on the contrary, most other reviews do not have real world usage and outdoor/indoor shots like mine do. I get that graphs and charts are useful, and so are unmoving shots of hands holding flashlights, but none of them give you an idea what it's like to walk around with the light or use it. That said, I do have comparison beamshots, with a camera set to manual to show a difference in brightness between other lights, and runtime tests. I prefer to put a bit more technical knowledge into the video production itself. You won't find an auto-iris, blurry, auto focus night video segment here or a 15 minute static shot of my hands. Thanks for the comments though!

Last edited:

thomas_sti_red

Newly Enlightened

Definitely not criticizing your review. I love this type as much as the dry factual ones.
I should have added a ;-)
I'll definitely check out your other videos because as you say, real world usage.
I tend to keep enormous spreadsheets on all my interests, which help me narrow down my selection to a few. But whenever I'm not able to test myself (as in this case) it's reviews like yours that help me decide.
Keep up the good work!

Thomas.

mhanlen

Enlightened

Thanks! No offense taken, just clarifying that there are different types of reviews... And mine is one type. I really try making them entertaining.

kj2

Flashaholic

So runtime is (way)lower than they claim... hmm... :candle:

Thanks for the review :)

mhanlen

Enlightened

On medium 2 anyway. Super and high are spot on or better than advertised. No problem! I strive for accuracy.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great review! Really like the beamshots and run time tests.

mhanlen

Enlightened

Thanks, I was really trying to show the difference between the different types of reflectors. Something you don't see very often. I'd like to do an outdoor one next time, but sometimes I don't have the time till stay up late enough to get that done.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Thread was moved to Flashlight Reviews.

Bill

Latest posts