Review: Zebralight SC600w mkIII HI (XHP-35 HI, 18650)

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, well it's kind of speculation then. ... <snip>

Right.

It requires assumption or speculation to say that any of the lines on the Panasonic chart represents the maximum continuous discharge current. Panasonic makes no such claim, either on the chart, or anywhere else in its datasheet.

I have wondered why Panasonic does not post an absolute limit, or number, to describe maximum discharge current. I do not know its reasons. Part of it may style. After all, any number you choose is somewhat arbitrary.

Consider, for instance, the NCR18650GA ("GA"). How do you think Sanyo arrived at its 10-amp rating? My understanding is that it chose that value after analyzing the discharge tests it made. It was chosen as a reasonable compromise between performance and voltage sag. I don't believe there is any magic formula that output exactly 10 amps. Sanyo simply chose that number.

Perhaps Panasonic would rather let the graphs speak for themselves. Rather than setting an arbitrary limit, it wants engineers to make their own analyses. It is also possible that Panasonic's larger customers have access to technical information that Panasonic does not publish on the Internet.

Speaking of the "GA," are you comfortable saying it has a 10-amp continuous-discharge specification? If so, you should know that it comes from a Sanyo—rather than a Panasonic—datasheet. The Sanyo document has the same format and "tentative" marking as the one it released for the "B." If you are happy with the GA's rating, you should probably be willing to accept the rating for the B, as well.

They come from the same source.

GaryRanson

Newly Enlightened
Enjoyed the review and have one in transit. Will be trying LG IWR18650-MJ1, Sanyo NCR18650GA and Panasonic NCR18650B to see if there is any noticeable difference.

mhanlen

Enlightened
Enjoyed the review and have one in transit. Will be trying LG IWR18650-MJ1, Sanyo NCR18650GA and Panasonic NCR18650B to see if there is any noticeable difference.

Cool man! Let me know what you find. I have about 20-30 batteries.... Even some high drain, but none flat top and high drain... I bought the 3400 mah hour- because Zebralight hasn't necessarily specified the operating tolerance the light required and I've used that battery a lot- which is why I bought it.

I've ran the light continuously for longer than probably most- and it worked fine. I'd be interested to know if someone experienced issues with it. I don't think you will, but sometimes lights can be finicky.

But by all means... Use high drains instead.

tops2

Enlightened
Yeah, forgot which Zebralight thread (too many for the new models!), think ~2 members mentioned they're light flickered on H1 mode with their non-high drain batteries. I think one then tried a high drain battery and it was fine after. But can't seem to find the posts..but from my bad memory...I think one had tried with a 2600 mah battery (not the 3400 mah battery). To me, this isn't conclusive evidence the newer MKIIIs and SC63 require high drain. But I'd still go with a high drain battery if I don't have one already.

Ok..found it.. I don't know how to directly link to the correct post but on the SC63(w) thread from post #1006:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ke-the-SC63w&p=4899371&viewfull=1#post4899371

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool man! Let me know what you find. I have about 20-30 batteries.... Even some high drain, but none flat top and high drain... I bought the 3400 mah hour- because Zebralight hasn't necessarily specified the operating tolerance the light required and I've used that battery a lot- which is why I bought it.

I've ran the light continuously for longer than probably most- and it worked fine. I'd be interested to know if someone experienced issues with it. I don't think you will, but sometimes lights can be finicky.

But by all means... Use high drains instead.

Based on your empirical experience, the B cell can power the light. There's no denying that, but I thought your discussion with KIL was regarding whether it was still a good choice when compared to the GA cell. The parameter of IR then came up and appears to be a deciding factor. And I don't think KIL "chastised" you as you noted on BLF.

mhanlen

Enlightened
Based on your empirical experience, the B cell can power the light. There's no denying that, but I thought your discussion with KIL was regarding whether it was still a good choice when compared to the GA cell. The parameter of IR then came up and appears to be a deciding factor. And I don't think KIL "chastised" you as you noted on BLF.

Forgive me if I think your comment is sort of designed to stir the pot, instead of add to the discussion... But I'll address this anyway.

So when I tested this light and purchased the cell... It hadn't been tested to death... I hadn't read countless posts about the light or whatever. So I had no idea about the 6amp pull or anything. Again Zebralight says one thing a CPF member says another. I have used the Panasonic many times in other reviews and in lights that pull over 1000 lumens on a single cell without ill effect. Again based upon the perfectly normal operation and behavior of the light, there was never any indication the light was too much for the battery. In my review I mentioned what cell I use... Like I do in all my reviews... and I'll note if there are any specific manufacturer recommendations of "high drain" cells- and use those of course. None was mentioned by Zebralight so there was no reason to make a note. Now when I read the quote from KIL below forgive me if maybe I overreacted a bit to what he said.

It is one thing to say it's okay to use a certain battery. It is another thing to claim that same battery is the best or most efficient for the task.

Do you think this is kind of a misrepresentation of anything I've said? I do. Never did I say it's the "best choice" for the light. My review was done and completed before anyone brought this to my attention. Never did I claim the 3400 mah Panasonic was the "best battery" for anything. Just that it worked fine and I saw no performance anomalies compared to Zebralights specs. All I ever implied was it's "ok" for me to use. Nothing more.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think that enough has been said about batteries, and then re said. Let's move on to the topic, the SC600w.

Bill

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
As we move off the subject of batteries, please let me apologize to MHanlen.

It is one thing to say it's okay to use a certain battery. It is another thing to claim that same battery is the best or most efficient for the task.

When I wrote that, I was referring to what ZebraLight had written. After you posted ZebraLight's statement that the Pany B was "good enough," I was trying to point out that ZebraLight did not say that the Pany B was best. I did not say—nor mean to say—that it was your claim.

Reading it now, I can see how you might have thought I was referring to you.

Sorry.

mhanlen

Enlightened
Thanks man! We're good. I updated the video with an annotation and description to include the Panasonic on Zebralights website as the best option. Just so everyone is clear. Nothing to see here... Just saying love the light. I'm carrying it today!

fnsooner

Enlightened
Great review, thanks.

...but it was posted it discharges for an unknown number of minutes or seconds at 6amps.

I was getting high amp readings up close to 6A, but after looking at varied amperage readings from others, I would say that my meter was giving me too high of a reading. I am still not certain what the 600 HI draws but looking at what others were getting in their tests, I would guess 4A to 4.5A. I keep meaning to get a clamp on DC amp meter and to test again.

Last edited:

mhanlen

Enlightened
Honestly I've tried getting accurate readings from my DMMs, but I have never found good consistency from them. I don't think any data I would gather from them would be reliable enough to include in my reviews- so I don't. Plus, many lights are different, so you need to often modify your testing methods to get readings at all. I have seen many people get off the wall readings... and I don't know how useful they even are on some lights which vary the current the pull from the light at any given time. Then there's upgrading to better leads...

I know that my lumens ratings are also subject to variance too, but at least they're a good indicator of their relative brightness to other lights I test and own.

Anyway I would tend to agree with the 4.5 to 5 a bit better... because if I was at or near or above the maximum amp draw for the SC600MkIII HI, my readings, runtime tests, and general function of the light would have been noticeably affected. I've used standard drain batteries with high drain lights before... and they generally act weird or just plain turn off.

FMKeith

Newly Enlightened
I absolutely love your videos. I stumbled upon your YouTube a week or so ago and subbed right away. Keep the reviews coming.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased the zebralight MKII and the MKIII and it was a huge mistake. both of theses lights don't come anywhere near their advertised light
output. the thing that attracted me to these lights was the superior head side switch which is easy to find in the dark. The Run time on these lights is the worst I've ever had from any conventional edc light ever. It goes from turbo mode in a couple of minutes down to the next lowest mode,pathetic really. I've got some sunwayman c20c lights which are 2 to 3 times brighter at 1/3 the advertised output, Damn. I've been on the candlepower forums for 13 years, since the beginning and I found out when I tried to contact ths company, they are
simply unavailable, This is not acceptable.The MKII light is so under powered that without using my light meter I'm guessing that the output is just
about 25-30% of the 1100 lumen stated output. With batteries fresh off the charger neither light will cycle to the high mode, I feel like I've been ripped off and there is nothing I can do because Zebralight is not available. More money down the drain, sound familiar guys?
I purchased 4 of the olight baton series and the side switches have all failed. Initially within the first 3 weeks for one, and I got a return number at first but I didn't call amazon within the first 30 days, so can't go to them and the first one I got I was out in my car and I was so irritated I wound up tossing it out the window, now I've got 3 lights left and the place I called in Smyrna Georgia first , 678-424-1116 20 rings, no message machine doesn't pick up. I've got a lot of money over these years since I got hooked like the rest of us here and I'm stuck and really irritated about that but I keep trying, stupid me.

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened
I purchased the zebralight MKII and the MKIII and it was a huge mistake. both of theses lights don't come anywhere near their advertised light
output. the thing that attracted me to these lights was the superior head side switch which is easy to find in the dark. The Run time on these lights is the worst I've ever had from any conventional edc light ever. It goes from turbo mode in a couple of minutes down to the next lowest mode,pathetic really. I've got some sunwayman c20c lights which are 2 to 3 times brighter at 1/3 the advertised output, Damn. I've been on the candlepower forums for 13 years, since the beginning and I found out when I tried to contact ths company, they are
simply unavailable, This is not acceptable.The MKII light is so under powered that without using my light meter I'm guessing that the output is just
about 25-30% of the 1100 lumen stated output. With batteries fresh off the charger neither light will cycle to the high mode, I feel like I've been ripped off and there is nothing I can do because Zebralight is not available. More money down the drain, sound familiar guys?
I purchased 4 of the olight baton series and the side switches have all failed. Initially within the first 3 weeks for one, and I got a return number at first but I didn't call amazon within the first 30 days, so can't go to them and the first one I got I was out in my car and I was so irritated I wound up tossing it out the window, now I've got 3 lights left and the place I called in Smyrna Georgia first , 678-424-1116 20 rings, no message machine doesn't pick up. I've got a lot of money over these years since I got hooked like the rest of us here and I'm stuck and really irritated about that but I keep trying, stupid me.

When in doubt, ceiling bounce. You've been here long enough, you should be aware of the differences in floody vs throwy lights and their perceived brightness due to the hotspot size.

Also I've contacted ZL many times in the past using the "contact us" link (https://zebralight.3dcartstores.com/crm.asp?action=contactus) and they always have gotten back to me. Might take a day or two but they have always replied regardless of my question.

Also I'm curious, did you get the XHP35 HI MkIII version? Cause that is what this thread is about...

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
What cells are you using? The MKIII lives up to most people's expectations it seems, so either you got a lemon, or something else is going on.

mhanlen

Enlightened
Something's got to be wrong. I've tested all outputs in the beamshot section myself... And the beamshots literally back up the figures I've listed on the screen. Did you watch the beamshot section? Does your light match what you see?

drummer132132

Enlightened

I have an mk iii hi and have found it to be a very good light. I don't have a light meter but I've owned enough lights to know what 1k lumen is and it definitely puts out 1k+ lumen when comparing turbo modes. Yes it does step down after a minute or two depending on ambient temperature but it's supposed to considering the size of the light which tells me the PID is working correctly which in turn will prolong the life of my light in comparison to the lights that stepdown later of equal size.

In terms of runtime I've seen nothing nor experienced anything to say the runtimes are off. I've ran M1 for about a week if not longer for about 4 hours a go and have not experienced any need to charge the battery yet.

Their customer service is fine. I've received a response within 1-3 days if not sooner on all accounts of communication with them.

Personally I find the mk iii hi to be an excellent light and performs better than what zebralight advertises. Very content.

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened

Did you ever read your thread and try any of the suggestions?