ReviewTheLight: Nitecore SRT3 Defender

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like the extender can be drilled out to facilitate a CR123A/16340 plus 15mm spacer setup, can you please verify this?

I rather take out a spacer to switch to AA than add an extender in case of an emergency.

And many thanks for the great review, keep up the good work.

I can't confirm whether or not that would work, I don't have the equipment or skills to try it, but there does appear to be enough extra material there. My guess would be that you could drill out the extra couple of mm diameter and still have plenty of material there to keep it structurally sound. Because of the way the reverse-polarity design is set up in the head, you might find you need something around the sides of your AA to keep it held in the center to make a solid connection, but it's hard to say without trying it.

Aperture

Newly Enlightened
I can't confirm whether or not that would work, I don't have the equipment or skills to try it, but there does appear to be enough extra material there. My guess would be that you could drill out the extra couple of mm diameter and still have plenty of material there to keep it structurally sound. Because of the way the reverse-polarity design is set up in the head, you might find you need something around the sides of your AA to keep it held in the center to make a solid connection, but it's hard to say without trying it.

Thanks, really appreciated.

boanerges

Newly Enlightened
Been thinking on this light for a while. I like the diversity of using CR123's or AA's, and the extra features this light come with! In my mind this is a no-brainer and a definite purchase down the road! Thanks for the review!

sirshanksalot

Newly Enlightened
Been thinking on this light for a while. I like the diversity of using CR123's or AA's, and the extra features this light come with! In my mind this is a no-brainer and a definite purchase down the road! Thanks for the review!

Likewise on all the pluses. The size is the only detractor for me. Still tossing up between this and replacing my lost Eagletac D25C Ti, loved that little light. Made the mistake of backstepping to the Foursevens Mini123 which was a good little light too but the twisty mechanism failed in less than a year and even with replacement on the way doesn't give me tremendous confidence in it's longevity.

I'll likely end up with the older brother of this, the SRT7, for my backpack light.

ghosty

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking around but didn't find answer, hope someone can answer or point me to the answer.

On the Srt3 (or other Srt model), is the control ring self serviceable? If I have sand/pocket lint/dirt trap inside and become gritty. Can I take it out, clean and re-lub it?

I have seen information on the Sunwayman V11R control ring fix, but not Nitecore Srt3.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ring effectively floats around the body, I find if a wash in the sink with washing up liquid dosnt do I get a light lube with a straw and blast around the ring usually moves anything. Other than that the heads are probally glued and u may need courage and a vice to get the ring off. Thats probally not really needed though !

seantik

Newly Enlightened
Very nice review - many thanks. You inspired me and I will really consider buying this light.

Has anyone done some measurements on how many lumen the lowest white light is? Nitecore states that it is 0.1 lumen but how low is it actually?

I looking for a really low light and are pretty hot on a Zebralight sc600 II or III. On the other hand I like the nitecore design and and the option to use red light.

/Seantik

ArazelEternal

Newly Enlightened
Very nice review. I received my SRT3 tonight and have been playing around with it a bit. I already fell in love with it and the smart ring. Without the extender, I find that it is the perfect size for my pocket and my larger-than-average hands. I cant see myself using the extender right now, but Ill keep it in my laptop bag (it goes with me pretty much everywhere I go for any length of time) where I keep a few other EDC items and always a couple spare batteries just incase it would come down to needing to run AA batteries. I dont see that happening, but cant be too careful sometimes.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
years later and the SRT line needs an XHP IP68 overhaul badly. The SRT3 platform is actually VERY good. Just need to tighten things up to IP68 standards, pot the electronics, redesign the reflector etc. I dig it.

eurypylus

Newly Enlightened
As a seaman working on the bridge, I can't find better replacement for this light.
Rechargeable batteries, with AA batteries adapter in case of emergency, clicky switch with preset setting.
The red light works good shining log book at night, and the brightest setting is good enough to see debris on the side of the ship.

I've use illuminating paint red for red light and green for the brightest setting. How I wish if I can use tritium tube on the ring :-\

Issue is it keep getting kept being "taken away without permission and not return". I hate to use the word "stolen" on ship that I knew everyone so well, but then its the fourth SRT3 I've purchase so far. .._>_<...