Ridiculed By Non-Flashlight Lovers

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to this whole flashlight thing, and gotta say, it all makes sense now. I get it. I've bought so many recently, I'm starting a little collection... and I like it. Might just keep going. As for people I know who may chide me so far, I just give them a flashlight and they suddenly change their tune. Once they hold a cool little flashlight in their hands, they become appreciative.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I don't recall anyone ridiculing me about flashlights since folks who know me know I have a flashlight when they need one.

There was this one time I was in a meeting with a knucklehead who had a key chain zoomie and I remarked how that was pretty cool. Her retort was how her "stupid ex" had given it to her. I responded "well at least he was nice enough to give you a flashlight for your car keys". Then I pulled out a keychain light to show her being prepared is a good thing. She responded "you're weird"....
I retorted "so is Bill Gates".

About a week ago I got a text from her with a link to an eBay sale for a bunch of old flashlights. "What do you think?" she asked. I deleted the text without responding. No anger or any emotion caused my reaction, but a total indifference did.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still think 200L is too bright...but I am a different type of flashaholic I suppose.

Fast forward from 2002 to 2019 and anyone that has a cell phone has a light app and everyone uses that app all the time....so having a standalone torch is not as peculiar as it once was. Much has changed in perception.

The only thing that might have us enthusiasts stand out...is our interest and ability in light application and its specialty, but even to the layperson, they get it.

....Now if a layperson or even mild enthusiast were to see some of the collections on this site.... :faint: (mind blown)

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
All I need to do is think of all the stupid stuff some people collect. At least a flashlight is a useful tool. Almost a life-saving tool in certain situations. And it doesn't have to be expensive, but of course a lot of us here said goodbye to that one :)

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't recall anyone ridiculing me about flashlights since folks who know me know I have a flashlight when they need one.

There was this one time I was in a meeting with a knucklehead who had a key chain zoomie and I remarked how that was pretty cool. Her retort was how her "stupid ex" had given it to her. I responded "well at least he was nice enough to give you a flashlight for your car keys". Then I pulled out a keychain light to show her being prepared is a good thing. She responded "you're weird"....
I retorted "so is Bill Gates".

About a week ago I got a text from her with a link to an eBay sale for a bunch of old flashlights. "What do you think?" she asked. I deleted the text without responding. No anger or any emotion caused my reaction, but a total indifference did.

Lol, I use a similar saying quite a bit. People always make fun of my messy hair or my bad haircut and I say Bill Gates cuts his own hair too!

Most of my relatives make fun of me about the lights. Nothing too mean, but they give me a good ribbing about it. When they come over they almost always ask me sarcastically if there's a flashlight around.

On a side note: Holy Old Thread Batman!!!

heck333

Newly Enlightened
I have friends that question me about spending what they call "gun money" on knives, and recently flashlights. I simply respond that I use the lights every day, whereas I have never needed to use my gun on a daily basis. So I get more bang for the buck from the lights.

Greg

Lumen83

Enlightened
In my experience, ladies are attracted to a guy that has hobbies and things that they are passionate about. I've never met a girl that had any idea that flashlight collecting was even a thing. But they think its cute when I try to show them my flashlight collection after we've had a few drinks.

Frijid

Enlightened
Everyone makes fun of flashlights and flashlight lovers, until they need one.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
My work mates used to take the Mick out of my flashlight obsession. But a couple of years down the line most of them are now packing serious lumens (solarforce, fitorch, convoy) and love their new lights. I'm the go to guy for flashlight advice lol. I'm a groundsman on a holiday park so we do use flashlights day to day

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me I'm more ridiculed about the quantity than the quality/price of my flashlights. They always ask why I need that many flashlights.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vadimax, I'm tired of cleaning up your posts. This is a family friendly forum. If a kindergartener cannot read your comments over their dad's shoulder, do not post it. The next time will be some time off. Thank you for your cooperation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Weld Inspector

Enlightened
The thing that kills me is when people cant understand that we like QUALITY lights QUALITY material QUALITY craftsmanship

Im soooo sick of guys I work with trying to compare a walmart bushnell or an as seen on tv zoomie with that hideous castle shaped beam to my light of the day while they have no clue about tint and beam quality nevermind trying to explain to them about my shelf queen mcgizmo at home

lunas

Enlightened
all fun and games until the lights go out then when you pull out one of your special lights and light the room brighter than the AC lights normally do.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight I had dinner with the in-laws at a popular but dimly lit restaurant. I needed a flashlight to view the menu, but I did not use it because the only light on my person was an HDS high noon rotary. I knew that if I used it, they'd want to pass it around the table and give it to my eighteen month old nephew. Then I'd have to explain why I'm not sharing. Wait, it costs how much? That's not an in-law friendly dinner topic, so I politely strained my eyes at the menu like everyone else.

Tonight I had dinner with the in-laws at a popular but dimly lit restaurant. I needed a flashlight to view the menu, but I did not use it because the only light on my person was an HDS high noon rotary. I knew that if I used it, they'd want to pass it around the table and give it to my eighteen month old nephew. Then I'd have to explain why I'm not sharing. Wait, it costs how much? That's not an in-law friendly dinner topic, so I politely strained my eyes at the menu like everyone else.

Two is one but one was none. :nana:

Mr. LED

Enlightened

Cell phone flashlight to save the night!