Right angle headlamp

TheWitness33

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody have recommendations for a right angle headlamp with high output, constant output, not burst.

Duster1671

Enlightened
Zebralight makes several right angle headlamps with levels that can be programmed to your liking. The highest available levels will thermal throttle, but you could program the light so that the highest levels available to you remain constant.

TheWitness33

Newly Enlightened
@TheWitness33 I noticed you had a couple other headlamp threads going - were you dissatisfied with the answers or is there something more specific you're looking for?
As I keep reading and people keep posting, it poses more questions on my end. Not done malicious or because I'm not getting quality answers, just addressing them in different threads. Different people may be able to answer different questions.

Last edited:
That makes sense. Just a tip though, if you do that people may end up posting identical or conflicting info without being aware of what others are posting.

So for this thread - do you have an idea of what you need in terms of lumens or candela to maintain? Take a look through the reviews here for examples of runtime charts: https://zeroair.org/category/flashlights/headlamp/

You can get a sense for what these can maintain given the LED, power source, and heat sinking.

TheWitness33

Newly Enlightened
So I know I want…
A right angle flashlight in a headlamp style
I'd like as high of constant lumens as I can get. I like knowing I have more but able to use less, If that makes sense. The highest I've seen constant (I think) is 1616lm from zebra light. Others claim 4,000 but only for like a minute. I want high lumens for the narrow paths I'll be walking on, behind somebody sometimes as well.
Once I get to my spot firefly mode will be fine. I just need to see in my pack, noting that needs a ton of light which is why I wanted a red light.
Rechargeable would be nice but not a necessity
I wish they made my D4V2 in a right angle

TheWitness33

Newly Enlightened

That's what I've recently found. I dropped the red light because there's just not any right angle available with it. Seems to be only headlamps that are built to the band.

Poppy

Flashaholic
So I know I want…
A right angle flashlight in a headlamp style
I'd like as high of constant lumens as I can get. I like knowing I have more but able to use less, If that makes sense. The highest I've seen constant (I think) is 1616lm from zebra light. Others claim 4,000 but only for like a minute. I want high lumens for the narrow paths I'll be walking on, behind somebody sometimes as well.
Once I get to my spot firefly mode will be fine. I just need to see in my pack, noting that needs a ton of light which is why I wanted a red light.
Rechargeable would be nice but not a necessity
I wish they made my D4V2 in a right angle
@TheWitness33 This thread Lumens vs Lux by our friend Teej is worth taking a look at.
You may find that you are looking at the wrong component of a light's beam and the number of lumens you need to satisfy your needs. For a narrow path, and looking ahead of your hiking partner, you may be well served with a relatively narrow beam, and then much fewer lumens than 1000. This will allow for a greater run-time.

I have a headlamp with a rather broad hot spot, It uses an XML2 LED, and in a deeper reflector than most angle head lamps. I almost never crank it all the way up to its 650 lumen max. More often than not when walking along a path it is at about 200-300 lumens.

I have an imalent HR20 right angle headlamp with an XPL LED, it is pretty throwy for a little shallow head angle head. I much prefer the XML2 LED's beam profile.

Last edited:
When I'm hiking in the dark I find 200lm to be plenty, especially on a narrow trail where there's not a lot to see. I have some more powerful headlamps but I run them on a lower setting often. Keep in mind that even on low level, you could be blinding people when they look at you.

The higher outputs will help you see if you're on open, level ground, or water.

When I'm kayaking at night I appreciate a bright, focused beam and a bit of spill to illuminate my boat.