Road Flare alternatives?

Poppy

Flashaholic
If I remember correctly, the puck style flares were the least effective, or at least they had the least sight distance, especially if they are placed on the ground after there is even a slight rise in the road that is in the way of the oncoming vehicle. That's one of the reasons that height of the flare increases sight distance so much. Some of the puck styles were durable enough that they could be run over and still function.

I used to carry a couple of full sized cones, but now I carry some of these sports training cones.

Dave the Dude,
They may be used to hold one of your long flares in an upright position. If not there are short heavy duty cones that will have enough weight to them that they won't get blown over by fast moving traffic.

1633963333929.png

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone checked out new Lightman LED emergency triangles?

No more use of xenon strobe. Now they come with same color led bulbs and lens in sealed units not removable like before

I'm wondering if they're still made by Delco Remy, or a copied version from CH?

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I am looking for a cheap source for the adapters that let you put a puck on top of a cone.

I read on the below site that the DOT spec cones have a base that weighs 10 lbs. Their collapsable weigh 7 & are pricey at $150 for 5, w/LED lights:

There are some cheaper collapsable cones, people say you can put a 5lb barbell weight inside the plastic base shell. But is 5 enough vs an 18 wheeler's wind?

Sunnyglade [4-Pack] 28 inch Collapsible Traffic Cones with LED Light

5lb weights run about $9 each.

These pricey sticks have a choice of diameter to fit a standard or collapsable cone hole in the top:

Prices for the road triangles are all over the place, many meet some spec, many do not.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I recently acquired a three-pack of stick-style electronic safety flares. The brand is Victor, manufactured by Bell Automotive Products, headquartered in Scottsdale AZ.
Link?
This place is in KS

kj2

Flashaholic
I tossed the four China made led road flares, that I had in my car. Now have two Osram LEDguardian road flares. Swapped the included 9V battery, for a Energizer lithium 9V battery.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Be aware, that when you set out flares or cones, etc. Do not set them out too close together, and not too close to your car, or the accident scene.

I have too often observed that when I set out 3 or 4 cones blocking a lane of traffic, that people do not move over until they reach the 3rd or 4th cone, the one that is completely blocking their lane. If there is a person behind them, that person may not see the cones until the lead person suddenly pulls over, and the follower may not have time to stop, nor have the ability to move over. If there is a resulting crash... you may get injured.