ROP Issues

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Hey all, just built my ROP with the **** poor quality of the Brite lumens reflector and started running it for a while when I noticed the reflector started fogging up around the top outer edge. This greatly reduced the throw and output of the beam as half of the reflector was completely dull. This was with about 2 minutes of runtime. What can be the cause of this? Is this the reflectors fault or maybe some issue with the O-ring or lens? Is there any good quality reflectors out there?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
You need to run the bulb without the reflector+ lens and let the epoxy out-gas. I ran mine for about 35 minutes. Smells funky too.

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Just did that except I left the reflector in and took the lense out. I saw gases come out though. Im going to let it rest for a couple of hours and see if its gone.

Wilmette

Newly Enlightened
Boy am I glad I saw your post, Kramer...my cut-down pixellated M@g is threaded and ready for assembly tomorrow. Thanks for the pre-cooking info.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Some members bake the bulbs in the oven too. I've never tried it this way though.

But YES you need to do this. It ruined one of my reflectors.:ohgeez:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't "recommend" this but when it happened with my FM reflector, I rinsed it with hot water and dishes soap. I then rinsed with alcohol and I dried it with a hair dryer. It didn't scratch the reflector nor seemed to affect the reflective surface. At least, I saved it!

Wilmette

Newly Enlightened
My ROP is cooking in the garage tail down sans reflector and lens. There is no visible smoke but there is a chemical odor. I even lit some incense which I normally only do when I'm trying to recapture my childhood...thanks again Kramer for mentioning this as the last thing I would want is to replace new parts with more new parts.

mrartillery

Enlightened
You need to run the bulb without the reflector+ lens and let the epoxy out-gas. I ran mine for about 35 minutes. Smells funky too.

+1, time often varies though Ive found it can take from as low as 5 minutes or as long as 30. When cleaning the reflectors I use a microfiber cloth (dry), like you clean a HD tv with, works great and doesn't scratch it.