Safe Lithium A123 & Emoli 18650 sizes now used in (Elephant) Wide Body Mags

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Re: Elephant Battery Combinations

So they have both the NiCad & new A123 Nano Lithium-Iron-Phosphate packs marked as "XRP" model? If so, then make sure you verify that you are getting the right sub-type.

Tronic

Newly Enlightened
LuxLuthor,

I can confirm that the green Cell from your Post #24 are Sony/Konion cells.
These cells are manufactured from Sony under the marketing name Konion.

These cells use the Manganese chemistry and are available in 2 Versions:
18650V = 1600mAh standard cell
18650VT = 1100mAh high current cell

In Europe they are also known as BMZ18650V or BMZ18650VT.
(BMZ is Europe's leading system supplier for rechargeable battery packs.)

They are also available in as 14500V with 680mAh.

I can Post a Datasheet of these cells if you are interested.

I have purchased a few loose cells from a BMZ Distributor and I am very happy with these cells.

-Daniel

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can confirm the same as I disassembled a 194205-3 a few weeks back. Makita parent is Japanese, likely to use Japanese branded cells (regardless of manufacture/assembly location). Ryobi/Ridgid is Chinese, likely to use cells with Chinese affiliations (E-One). Not a hard and fast rule, merely an observation.

But I'm too much of a wimp to start cutting tabs and disassembling it further.
Use insulated diagonal pliers :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Griz

Newly Enlightened
Well, I found the answer to the IMR26670. I'm sure this was well known to some people.

a679364-246-E%20Moli%20001.jpg

Milwaukee cordless V28 pack.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Griz, come on man....see the thread title? This topic is about the newer 18650 size cells. The 26mm sizes have been around for ages, and tons of posts about them all over the place. Probably a hundred pages come up in a google search for them.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Thanks Griz.

I just checked all the places, and the Ridgid 18Volt 3.0Ah Emoli batteries (Part numbers #R84008 or #AC46182) are still in very short supply. Backordered for quite a while at Home Depot. I suspect there is some production/demand shortage.

People may need to settle for Konion/Sony brand cells (make sure to get the 1600mAh 18650V)

Bones

Enlightened
Thanks Griz.

I just checked all the places, and the Ridgid 18Volt 3.0Ah Emoli batteries (Part numbers #R84008 or #AC46182) are still in very short supply. Backordered for quite a while at Home Depot. I suspect there is some production/demand shortage.

People may need to settle for Konion/Sony brand cells (make sure to get the 1600mAh 18650V)

Hopefully, this hasn't been answered elsewhere.

I am finding two 18Volt Ridgid lithium batteries, the 3.0Ah spoken of here, and a smaller size rated at 1.5Ah, which may bear part number R840084.

Has anyone dismantled the smaller sized battery and determined what's inside?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Hopefully, this hasn't been answered elsewhere.

I am finding two 18Volt Ridgid lithium batteries, the 3.0Ah spoken of here, and a smaller size rated at 1.5Ah, which may bear part number R840084.

Has anyone dismantled the smaller sized battery and determined what's inside?

Smaller pack is 5 cells x 3.6V = 18V (each cell is 1500mAh)
Larger pack has 10 cells in 5s2p which keeps same 18V, but doubles the capacity to 3,000mAh

Bones

Enlightened
Smaller pack is 5 cells x 3.6V = 18V (each cell is 1500mAh)
Larger pack has 10 cells in 5s2p which keeps same 18V, but doubles the capacity to 3,000mAh

Thanks, LuxLuther, I was hoping this was the case.

You're certainly correct insofar as the demand is concerned as well. The prices on eBay have taken a major jump on both sizes recently.

It's also interesting to note that very few vendors are differentiating between the sizes, so it's important to take a close look at what's on offer.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux, what's the current supply situation as far as you've seen?

I'm specifically interested in snagging some Emoli IMR-18650E cells. Which packs contain them (item numbers would be helpful) and what IYHO is the best deal at the moment on a per-cell basis? I'm hoping to get my hands on upwards of 10 cells to play around with, and for use in some of my newer builds.

TIA for the info! :popcorn: :bow:

mdocod

Flashaholic
Just thought I would throw something here worth mentioning:

The new 18V Ryobi "one+" li-ion system has 10 18650 Emoli cells contained within :)

This is based on looking at pictures a friend of mine sent me of his torn open one+ pack that he got awhile back. IIRC the cells were grey with "IMR18650" on the side.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Just thought I would throw something here worth mentioning:

The new 18V Ryobi "one+" li-ion system has 10 18650 Emoli cells contained within :)

This is based on looking at pictures a friend of mine sent me of his torn open one+ pack that he got awhile back. IIRC the cells were grey with "IMR18650" on the side.

Thanks, especially timely with the recent rash of Elephant Mods.

As you specified, you have to be careful what you get, as their old "crap Ni-Cd" cells packs are also called "one+" as in this Amazon dual pack for $80.

You must make sure it looks like this gray (& green accent) and specifies Lithium.

Here it is with charger as an "upgrade kit" for $120 at Home Despot.

Here is the $90 pack alone, also at Home Despot
. There are some good prices on EBay. I believe the correct part number for pack alone is P104

Last edited:

sylathnie

Enlightened
After reading this whole post a few times I'm a wee bit confused. I would like to eventually use 12S Li batteries in my Ele II. I'm hoping to build a switch that can handle >10A draw so the batteries need to be able to take the same.
Which pack do I need to buy and take apart? :thinking:

My conclusion was the Ryobi One+ LiIon packs. Did I get it right? Do I win?

Thanks!

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
After reading this whole post a few times I'm a wee bit confused. I would like to eventually use 12S Li batteries in my Ele II. I'm hoping to build a switch that can handle >10A draw so the batteries need to be able to take the same.
Which pack do I need to buy and take apart? :thinking:

My conclusion was the Ryobi One+ LiIon packs. Did I get it right? Do I win?

Thanks!

To run 12 Emoli in an Elle2 youd need more than one Ryobi One+ LiIon pack ( or a couple of loose cells), as they only contain 10 cells.

What lamp would you use for 12 series.

I would expect the reflector to melt like thermite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrCWLpRc1yM with that much wattage. ( ~500W :thinking: )

Last edited:

Latest posts