Safe to charge SF RCR123s using Nitecore D2?

Adirondneck

Newly Enlightened
As the title says..I usually use the D2 to charge 14500s and 18650s to 4.2V..will the Nitecore D2 know to charge a SF RCR123 for my MV Backup to only 3.0V? Or will it try to charge it to 3.7-4.2v?

Just trying to save some cost on consolidating to one charger..and get this SF primary monkey off my back! Thanks

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use the D2 but you need to set it to LiFePo4 mode otherwise it will over charge. Most chargers do not have a LiFePo4 setting, but I believe that the D2 does.

If it can do the proper CV charge voltage, can it also do the relatively low CC charge current for those small 16340 size LFPs? That's normally recommended ~.5C, isn't it? It is for the K2 cells I use. I use the discontinued but still available Xtar VP2 chargers for those (and my 14500s & 18650s as well) set to 3.6V@250mA for the LFP123s. I'm not familiar w/ the SF cells or the NC chargers - just reminding that both voltage and current matter.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it can do the proper CV charge voltage, can it also do the relatively low CC charge current for those small 16340 size LFPs? That's normally recommended ~.5C, isn't it? It is for the K2 cells I use. I use the discontinued but still available Xtar VP2 chargers for those (and my 14500s & 18650s as well) set to 3.6V@250mAh for the LFP123s.
Apparantly the D2 has a .3A setting, which should be good for these cells. I also use the .25A setting for K2 LFP123's on my VP2.

boo5ted

Enlightened
Not sure about the D2 but I've been using my UM2 with no issues. It has different modes for Li-ion, LiFePO4 and Ni MH also different outputs rates.

51704126680_bcc4326a09_z.jpg

Adirondneck

Newly Enlightened
You know..If I would have just read the instructions my D2 came with, and not be a caveman..I would have had my questions answered!

Yes the LiFePO4 mode can be selected to charge lower voltage batteries, and also a low current mode selected as well. Thanks guys!

So while we're on the subject..any reccomendations for a RCR123 to run my Backup on? I was originally going to use the SF brand but i'm open to suggestions.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know..If I would have just read the instructions my D2 came with, and not be a caveman..I would have had my questions answered!

Yes the LiFePO4 mode can be selected to charge lower voltage batteries, and also a low current mode selected as well. Thanks guys!

So while we're on the subject..any reccomendations for a RCR123 to run my Backup on? I was originally going to use the SF brand but i'm open to suggestions.

I don't know what an 'MV Backup' is, but if you mean an alternative to the Surefire LFP 16340s, as I indicated, I use K2 Energy 'LFP123A'. These are the specs:

I think they're currently available from 'batteriesinaflash' (I've purchased them there in the past).

Adirondneck

Newly Enlightened
I don't know what an 'MV Backup' is, but if you mean an alternative to the Surefire LFP 16340s, as I indicated, I use K2 Energy 'LFP123A'.
Oh my bad..."Backup MV" its a Little Surefire single cell light, the MV standing for Max Vision it utilizes one of their fancy aspherical(I think?) Lenses. And thanks for the suggestion.

The little fellow on the left there.

Attachments

• 20211115_232859.jpg
    20211115_232859.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 64

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh my bad..."Backup MV" its a Little Surefire single cell light, the MV standing for Max Vision it utilizes one of their fancy aspherical(I think?) Lenses. And thanks for the suggestion.

The little fellow on the left there.

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing those before. Brain fade. Looks like a VERY neat light!

Although LFP won't yield the capacity of a primary 123, you'll LOVE knowing how much run time you have when you head out - without having a bunch of half-used, expensive primaries to deal with. I do. For me, that more than makes up for the lower capacity - besides saving a lot of $.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about the D2 but I've been using my UM2 with no issues. It has different modes for Li-ion, LiFePO4 and Ni MH also different outputs rates.

Thanx. It's good to know there are viable alternatives out there for when my VP2s quit.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
K2 lifep04 lfp123 charged on a nitecore d2 in lifepo4 and lower current 300ma mode used in a surefire edcl1-t. No issues to report. I also have a skilhunt m1(same as that liitokala lii-100 or whatever the single cell one that was popular around here) that has a lifepo4 mode which I can also use. But that only charges at 500ma or 1amp unless you do a resistor mod to half both currents, which I have not done.