Safety Reminder On Turning Unsupported Stock On The Lathe...

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting read. Sad story, But a great lesson in many ways.

As I read it, we all know those co-works who don't follow the safety rules. That is why my manager writes everyone up. Its to protect them and the business. Some get mad, but I know the manager rather them not get hurt! Some are so stupid, when we explain its for their safety they act like the manager is trying to get them fired.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
The employee attended 2 separate classes where he was told not to run stock unsupported out of the spindle. Then he was told by coworkers not to do it when they saw him doing it. And then this story happened. As dc38 said, all condolences to his family but this isn't a safety reminder story, it's a story about people not following warnings and then becoming the victim of that decision.

I'm by no means a professional machinist but I've worked on lathes long enough to have a great fear of their quiet power. In one of my early classes the student in front of me left a parallel in his chuck despite being specifically told by the instructor not to. Nobody even saw it get thrown from the machine and whiz by only inches from another students' head - we all just heard it hit the wall with a metal clang. When you're specifically told not to do something and only a few seconds later you do it anyways and damn near kill someone else that's inexcusable.

As the warning on the inside cover of my mitre saw manual says: "Do not let familiarity with your tools breed carelessness". Never read a more succinct warning and I think about it every time I take the chuck key out between stock changes.

TexasLumens

Newly Enlightened
Sad. But I see this all the time when I am in and out of shops. When you walk in a shop and it has an overall appearance like that one. ...LEAVE!.... Grab your tail feathers with both hands and get out. If you see something like that support being used... Leave Faster! Just sayin!