Saint Incand's Day - July 12, 2009

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Great stories and feedback.

Alas, St. Crispin is only the patron of shoemakers. You can be sure if I had an appreciation for making shoes it would have been a more literal quote.

I suspect we have a long wait before Humphry Davy receives sufficient notice of miraculous legends, sufficiently embellished to begin his slow progress towards canonization.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried to understand why the English call them torches, but I guess it doesn't make any less sense than flashlights. Early flashlights had batteries that were so weak they could only get a short second or two flash out of them. Nowadays that's not the case, so why do we continue to call them flashlights?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I've tried to understand why the English call them torches, but I guess it doesn't make any less sense than flashlights. Early flashlights had batteries that were so weak they could only get a short second or two flash out of them. Nowadays that's not the case, so why do we continue to call them flashlights?

Usually original names stick, and in the case of U.S. Patents and trade shows spearheaded by Ever Ready indeed you are correct on the origin of lights that could only work in short flashes. It's likely that Ever Ready didn't establish a presence in Europe/UK, so they went about their own "Electric Torch" naming process.

A classic thread about it here.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a little confused. I assume you guys made this day up? Why July 12? I have celebrated that day every year for the past 30 years. It is my birthday haha.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
I actually celebrated St Incand's Day without knowing about it - it's my GF's birthday :party:

I thought I'd try my first upload to youtube to celebrate St Incand's Day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G02lhjvtQZI
that sure is a cool video to start with!

btw, the german word for flashlight "Taschenlampe" could be translated as "bag light" as well as "pocket light". "Tasche" can refer to something as small as the change pocket in a pair of jeans but also to a huge traveling bag and anything in between like a shopping bag.

mwb01

Newly Enlightened
Can't believe I missed this!:ohgeez: I coincidentally finished my first hotwire, a Mag85, on the 12th and had some fun with it so you could say I celebrated a little though.

Quest4fire

Enlightened
Wishing everyone a Happy 3rd St. Incand's Day next week.

Thanks Lux. Right back at you! Time to dust off some of those shelf queens, top off some cells and show em' some love for the occasion.

LGT

Enlightened
And to you too.
now the question is, which Incan should I EDC for the day - is the M6 a bit excessive ?

Maybe A2 during the day and M6 at night
All of them. This is a celebration when none should be left behind:grin2:. I just hope this day doesn't become so big that Hallmark will soon come out with a card containing some sappy inscription.

Last edited:

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't demonstrate allegiance to the glowing wire, and rarely pop into the incandescent forum. Seeing this again brought a little smile to my face though. The LED/incan wars have slowed to the occasional border skirmish but I loved Lux's first post.

Of course this reminds me that it was looking at some of the IMR driven options for a P60 host... which I forgot about but now remember. Lux is sneaky. ;)

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of them. This is a celebration when none should be left behind:grin2:. I just hope this day doesn't become so big that Hallmark will soon come out with a card containing some sappy inscription.
An A2, 2x 6P, a G2, M3, M4, M6 2x Magchargers, a Strion, Ultrastinger, and a 2, 3 and 4d Maglite is a little excessive for an EDC.
I think I will stick with he A2 and M6 for the day, celebrate with the special Incans (one of the few regulated ones, and a big bright one)