Saint Incand's Day - July 12, 2009

Wendee

Enlightened
Hey, this sounds fun! I'll do this on Tuesday. This should be interesting since I barely remember what it's like to use an incan. I'll dig one out. :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Have incands at the ready...

(Truth be told, I have been using them all year for various jobs...)

Same here... just another day in the life of this flashaholic.

Ironically some bulbs I ordered from various places are all being delivered today.
Pics later...

It's later.

I'm ready.

Already had these...

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
:laughing:

In preparation for this, I thought I would simply swap the LED bulb out for the stock Krypton bulb and be good to go. The cheap Dorcy drop-in LED bulb lights up just fine with the very old D-cells I have. I clicked the button...a hint of glow from the filament like a blown ember and that was it. I put the LED bulb back in lights up fine again. Just illustrates how little power LED's need in comparison in a very vivid way for me.

Looks like I will have to put in a fresh set of batteries for St. Incans Day.

Ladd

Enlightened
I dug out my old M*g Solitare. It still works, if you can call it that. If I need more light I can light a birthday candle....:devil:

Wendee

Enlightened
I'm ready to go. I have two lights ready. One medium size & one small (AA).

Using an incan light will be so weird! It will bring back memories, that's for sure. Fun stuff. :)

scout24

Flashaholic
I'll admit I almost missed this today. It got late last night, and I was laying out my carry items for today, and grabbed an E2e hex short clip with a clicky almost as an afterthought. Checked batteries, MN03, good to go. I used it for about 40 minutes today at work (I did keep track) and never wished for anything else. I dropped a rivet early this morning that rolled under a cabinet, needed to spend about 10 minutes in a dark shed with bright sunlight adjusted eyes, and looked under some dark shelving for missing parts for a while. E2e throws a nice fat high color temp hotspot perfect for what I needed it for today. Some dog walking duty tonight, and it'll be time for new cells. Maybe this is why E2e's outnumber everything else in my collection except C2's... :) Still awesome, still relevant, still as useful, lightweight and ergonomic as anything else out there.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was up at 1:30 am thanks to something my digestive system rejected. Using a vintage 1aa light with a 2aa bulb to get around... of course I checked CPF on my celphone.

Well being used to the output of a #222 bulb (2aa bulb) when I activated the phone screen it was "hoh, crap that thing is bright" and turned it down.

Unfortunately I was in meetings with bean counters all day so a flashlight didn't come into play on incan day. But I had a Pelican M6 with me just in case.

And due to frequent rains, a secret sauce of fertilizer and warm nights lately my grass is growing almost as fast as I can cut it. So after running a mower over it 3x I finally decided I'd walked enough for today. No dog walk tonight.

The secret sauce is 50/50 mix of 1 year old composted tree leaves and fresh grass clippings thoughly mixed and sprinkled over the lawn just before cutting it or just before it rains.

If you don't like cutting grass do not use this method. lol.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a couple of hours of working with the 2D with the incan bulb, it grows on me quite a bit. The very high CRI, the very tone it gives a room or the yard, its nice. I realize that 17 or 20 lumens or whatever that are produced are all I need to see what I need to see in my sphere of influence. The lumen race seems so irrelevant. Even the cornflake hot spot beam pattern didn't seem to bother me as much as I remember...

Just nice. :grouphug:

If only it didn't eat batteries so quickly. :shakehead

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Realizing this is incan day +1 I got to use my Pelican M6 incan to look into this storm drain inlet to see if a repair had been made.
I cases like this a rain coat is required.

Normally a mirror using sunshine aimed at the shadow does the trick. But thick humidity this morning had the sky over cast and gray.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got a 150 lumen, 3.7v P60 drop in from Lumens Factory. With modern 18650 cells, the runtime is decent. Nice throwy incan beam too.

Its all relative I guess...I get 8+ hours with incan 2D, 200-250 or more hours with LED 2D. That's all I am saying.

Tribull

Enlightened
I had bought an Incan 2c Maglite in celebration of this special day. Used it that night, all 31 lumens of it. I figured today I would order a Terralux led to drop in there, only to find out I have the bi pin bulb and non of the drop ins I've seen will work. Other than Malkoff which is amazing, but a bit pricey. I gifted a 2d away does anyone know how I could upgrade it?