• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SALE: JM-PhD-D1 PWM Hotwire Regulator

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been questions regarding the reprogramming and powering if this regulator while it is not installed in the light. I'm going to be performing a full installation in one of my switches this weekend. I'll be documenting the whole thing for a detailed How-To document.
I'll also put together a couple of diagrams to detail the programming and powering of the unit while not installed in a light.

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been questions regarding the reprogramming and powering if this regulator while it is not installed in the light. I'm going to be performing a full installation in one of my switches this weekend. I'll be documenting the whole thing for a detailed How-To document.
I'll also put together a couple of diagrams to detail the programming and powering of the unit while not installed in a light.

:thumbsup:

niner

Enlightened
I modified one of my regulator to high voltage duty. So far it is working fine with 12x 18650 and 64657. Regulator is set at 28.5V, while battery pack was peak at 49.6V.

Next, I will try 64663.

A picture of the regulator. (Yeah, I know. I need to replace the pot that I touch w/ my iron)

IMG_1929.jpg

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I modified one of my regulator to high voltage duty. So far it is working fine with 12x 18650 and 64657. Regulator is set at 28.5V, while battery pack was peak at 49.6V.

Next, I will try 64663.

A picture of the regulator. (Yeah, I know. I need to replace the pot that I touch w/ my iron)

IMG_1929.jpg

Did you replace the FET? If so, which one did you use? And what regulator chip did you use?

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup:

Thanks Jimmy

Very clear instructions and surprisingly concise code too.

Cheers
Pete

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I've updated the frist post in this thread with links to the source code and an instructional manual.

Jimmy, MAGNIFICENTLY DONE! It makes it crystal clear for even the inexperienced beginner.

One addition I think would be useful is marking and drilling the POT adjusting holes in KIU base before starting. I find the easiest way is to make a paper template and gently indenting paper to outline POT positions, then align with holes & mark with sharpie. (Feel free to use in pdf if you want)

I'm almost done testing. Will report tonight.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jimmy, MAGNIFICENTLY DONE! It makes it crystal clear for even the inexperienced beginner.

One addition I think would be useful is marking and drilling the POT adjusting holes in KIU base before starting. I find the easiest way is to make a paper template and gently indenting paper to outline POT positions, then align with holes & mark with sharpie. (Feel free to use in pdf if you want)

I'm going to do exactly that, Lux. In fact, I'll just print the PCB design in reverse to a PDF which can pre printed at 100% scale and used inside the KIU as a template.

niner

Enlightened
Tested Jimmy's regulator (high voltage version) with OSRAM 64663 400W bulb with success. After killing a few of these expensive bulbs, I found 42V is the "safe" set voltage. The FET is operating at too close to the max voltage rating for my liking, but IRFR1018E is highest I can find in the DPAK package. Now, I will use Jimmy's excellent instruction and install all these stuff in a Colossus.

64663 at about 40V
IMG_1930.jpg

Cooling down...
IMG_1931.jpg

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, the peak current is 16.2A, cont. current is 11.8A
That shouldn't be an issue for the Silicon of the FET. It's rated at 42A continuous. Provided there is sufficient heat sinking. ID be interested to know how hot it gets after a few minutes.

Last edited:

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

Not to trash your sales thread (again) I have posted my Q. and Comm. over in the Update thread . . . Here

Cheers

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
All regulators purchased after this point will have updated firmware.
Upgrades include:
- Faster response to low voltage and over temp conditions. 0.25 seconds versus 0.5 seconds.
- After the low voltage mode (pulsing) has been in place for 30 seconds, it will shutdown and go to sleep.
- Over temp mode will reduce bulb voltage to 35% of the set voltage instead of 25%
- The higher softstart ramp will disengage before reaching regulation point to eliminate any overshoot of more than 0.04V.
- More adaptive battery voltage sampling. It will average 4 or 8 readings per cycle depending on duty cycle.
- Multiple averaged readings of Vbulb and Vlow pots.