Sanyo 2700 or Powerex 2700

bp044

Enlightened
Which of these two cells are the most reliable and can be charged more times over their usefull lifetime ?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
In general, 2700 mAh NiMH cells are fragile, prone to high self discharge problems, and have a shorter cycle life. When you buy those cells you are not looking for reliability, you are looking for the maximum capacity at whatever cost. You are prepared to replace them often when they wear out or fail.

fishinfool

Enlightened
I have had both the Powerex 2700's and Eneloops (since Dec. 2009) for my dslr flash and I just ordered more of the 2700's.

bp044

Enlightened
In general, 2700 mAh NiMH cells are fragile, prone to high self discharge problems, and have a shorter cycle life. When you buy those cells you are not looking for reliability, you are looking for the maximum capacity at whatever cost. You are prepared to replace them often when they wear out or fail.

Good point . I had overlooked this deficiency.How about going further down on the list of highest capacities to acheive my goal of robustness. Which cells would be best ?

GTO_04

Newly Enlightened

I have noticed the same thing lately. All my Powerex cells are dying, even the ones I bought less than a year ago! Very disappointing because I had good luck with them in the past.

Looks like Eneloops are the way to go now.

GTO_04

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like Eneloops are the way to go now.

Having experience with sanyo 2500-2700 (and I think Powerex are most likely, just as good) cells, I'll go along with GTO_04's statement. In my experience, eneloop's have better performance and capacity than the 2500-2700 cells after one year of use, or even less. Yes, initially, in most applications, the higher cap cells out perform eneloops, but it's downhill from the get go. The high cap cells still have their place, but it's fewer than one might think and you'll find yourself replacing them a lot sooner, regardless of the application.

Dave