Sanyo Eneloop MQH03 Charger - Observed

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the channels are fully independant. I think they are pairs chared parallel instead of series unlike most paired chargers. This is why you see the two different charge rates. This configuration allows single battery charging at the 2 amp rate or two batteries @ 1 amps.

Not an uncommon configuration. Do not charge pairs with different discharge states. One will get over charged and the other undercharged.

This was not the experience with the MQH03 that I own.

According to Sanyo's instructions this charger does not charge at two different rates simultaneously unless AA and AAA are charged at the same time. AA cells would charge at 2 amps when only using outer bays and AAA would charge at 800ma while using the outer bays. If either or both of the other 2 inner bays are used then all cells will charge at their respective lower rates. (1amp and 800ma)

When I first received my MQH03, it was tested with various battery configurations including mixing AA and AAA while using different bays to charge then discharged on the C9000 to test for capacity. During the charging none of the cells over heated and all cells tested in their average respective capacity ranges. It appeared to charge equally well when charging from one to four cells at a time with either the same or mixed size batteries.

If the cells charged at different rates and terminated at the same time, it would show in the temperature of the cells and/or their capacity when discharged on the C9000

If your MQH03 exhibits the characteristics you described then perhaps you have a faulty MQ03 and should contact Sanyo.

Bones

Enlightened
The first post has been updated to reflect the revised package now offered by Costco Canada.

Regrettably, there is still no indication that either Sanyo or Costco will be offering this charger in the USA.

I did find it at the OnlineShop in Singapore, which does ship to the USA, but they're asking 42 USD for just the charger and two Eneloop AA cells:

http://www.onlineshop.com.sg/index ... products_id=5204

For those seeking extra assurance that this charger really does have fully independent charging channels, and is not simply charging in pairs with a parallel circuit as has been postulated in a earlier post:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com ... post2781017

fireguy

Newly Enlightened
Where was the one you borrowed purchased at?

The prices definitely have gone up, but not too much. Here in the Ottawa area, the 'Family Pack' with the NC-MQH03U now sells for $33.99 and the 6xAA/2xAAA packs have gone from $19.99 to $21.79.

I have enough batteries and quality chargers, but may get one of these just for the quick charger and the adapters.
I picked up the 6xAA/2xAAA pack today (Costco part number 844333) and it was $26.49 before taxes. Looks like prices are rising!

Where can I get one of those Eneloop dog testers?

Last edited:

Bones

Enlightened

fireguy

Newly Enlightened
His name is Eneloopy, and he makes his home at eneloopy.com.

http://www.eneloopy.com ... index_e.html

I don't recall ever seeing it for sale officially, but some time ago it was offered as a promotional item with proof-of-purchase of certain Eneloop products.

It has also been seen for sale on eBay.com on occasion, but nothing comes up at the moment:

http://search.ebay.com ... eneloopy

I will have to watch eBay. I see on the eneloopy website they show a solar charger. Anyone seen this?

Bones

Enlightened
I will have to watch eBay. I see on the eneloopy website they show a solar charger. Anyone seen this?

Sanyo actually makes an array of award winning Eneloop products. Regrettably, most are not readily available in North America. I believe this is the case with their Solar charger.

For a look at some of the other items in what Sanyo has dubbed the Eneloop Universe, you can dig around this site:

http://www.sanyo.co.jp/eneloop/lineup/index3.html

The sites in Japan, so here's a hyperlink to Google translator:

http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know of any good on-line sites in Japan for buying things, especially ones that might ship to the US or other places? I believe there might be one or two people here who live in Japan, who perhaps could make recommendations. I have pottered around Amazon.co.jp, but have not got as far as the checkout to see what the delivery options might be.

PeAK

Enlightened
Re: Sanyo Eneloop MQH03 Charger manual

In furtherance of a side-by-side comparison, a two part image of the manual for the MQH03 can be found here and here, and the manual for the MQH01 can be downloaded here.

I haven't been able to find a copy of the manual for the MQH03 in the .pdf format, so if anyone else has, please post its URL in this thread.

The MQH01 PDF manual is longer available at the Sanyo site. The MQH03 is near identical in operation except for the removal of the NiCd/NiMh switch and the lowering of the charge rate slightly. I found that a manual is available for the MQHO1 that has been rebadged and sold as the Maxell P2004 Charger

PeAK

Last edited:

NiOOH

Enlightened
Here in Europe, there is another modification of this charger, namely the MQH02. This is the charger included in the standard 2500 mAh set Sanyo sells in Europe. We have neither MQH02/Eneloop, nor MQH03/Eneloop sets here. I noticed that since approximately 1 year the MQH02 replaced MQH01 as the charger bundled with 2500 mAh cells. The only difference I could see without using the charger was the disappearance of the NiCd/NiMH switch. Charging rates are: 2140 mA (outer positions) and 1090 mA (inner and any combination inner-outer). Charges only 2 AAA cells at 700 mA.

http://www.argus.lv/downloads/sanyo_consumer.pdf?osCsid=6213f1ae1bd9d028a573aafbd1631968

Bones

Enlightened
Does anyone know of any good on-line sites in Japan for buying things, especially ones that might ship to the US or other places? I believe there might be one or two people here who live in Japan, who perhaps could make recommendations. I have pottered around Amazon.co.jp, but have not got as far as the checkout to see what the delivery options might be.

I would also be interested in a competitive site in Japan that ships internationally.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to create a dedicated thread towards this end?

Bones

Enlightened
Re: Sanyo Eneloop MQH03 Charger manual

The MQH01 PDF manual is longer available at the Sanyo site. The MHH03 is near identical in operation except for the removal of the NiCd/NiMh switch and the lowering of the charge rate slightly. I found that a manual is available for the MQHO1 that has been rebadged and sold as the Maxell P2004 Charger

PeAK

Thanks for posting a working hyperlink to a manual for the MQH01 charger PeAK.

Sanyo seems to have completed eliminated the directory that contained many of the documents we've referenced in the past.

In case anyone is using the manual for the MQH03 for the MQH01, I did notice one caveat worth mentioning. While the MQH03 can charge any combination of cells, the MQH01 has a restriction against charging both AA and AAA cells together.

This restriction is referenced in the online manual PeAK found on the Maxell site:

NOTICE: AA and AAA batteries should not be charged simultaneously. Electrical performances are not guaranteed when AA and AAA batteries are charged together.
Anyway, just a heads-up for owners of the MQH01.

Bones

Enlightened
Here in Europe, there is another modification of this charger, namely the MQH02. This is the charger included in the standard 2500 mAh set Sanyo sells in Europe. We have neither MQH02/Eneloop, nor MQH03/Eneloop sets here. I noticed that since approximately 1 year the MQH02 replaced MQH01 as the charger bundled with 2500 mAh cells. The only difference I could see without using the charger was the disappearance of the NiCd/NiMH switch. Charging rates are: 2140 mA (outer positions) and 1090 mA (inner and any combination inner-outer). Charges only 2 AAA cells at 700 mA.

http://www.argus.lv/downloads/sanyo_consumer.pdf?osCsid=6213f1ae1bd9d028a573aafbd1631968

The MQH02 may even be somewhat more advanced than the MQH01. I noticed, for example, that it can charge AA and AAA cells together, which was not recommend with the MQH01.

If anyone else is interested in the MQH02 or the array of other chargers available in Europe, there's an informative synopsis one each of them and hyperlinks to their respective manuals on eneloop.info:

http://www.eneloop.info ... chargers.html

http://www.eneloop.info... manuals.html

NiOOH

Enlightened
The MQH02 may even be somewhat more advanced than the MQH01. I noticed, for example, that it can charge AA and AAA cells together, which was not recommend with the MQH01.

If anyone else is interested in the MQH02 or the array of other chargers available in Europe, there's an informative synopsis one each of them and hyperlinks to their respective manuals on eneloop.info:

http://www.eneloop.info ... chargers.html

http://www.eneloop.info... manuals.html

Thanks for the info Bones.
I haven't seen the MQR02 sets in the stores so far. You can get the charger in light-blue bundled with 2300 mAh cells. I think Sanyo is doing a poor job offering Eneloop sets in europe, esepecially if you need a set of 4 bundled with a reasonable charger.
BTW, I got the MQH02 yesterday. Haven't had the time to do extensive testing, but yes it appears that there are more differences than just removing the NiCd/NiMH switch. Upon finishing fast charging the charger shuts off completely, i.e. no top-off/ maintanance charge. I don't have the MQH01 anymore but from memory MQH02 keeps the cells a bit cooler.
Will post more info after further testing.

PeAK

Enlightened
Here in Europe, there is another modification of this charger, namely the MQH02.
Sanyo_consumer.pdf

I've put the charger summery page from you document, below. The MQHO2 looks like one-half of a Maha C-801D (2 amp rate/1C) while the MQR02 is similar to one-half of C-800S (1 amp rate/0.5C). The main difference is that they have the flexibility of charging at half the charge rate of those units when all the bays are full or if the normal charging slopes are used.

sanyo_charger.jpg

The current thinking seems to be use lower capacity low self-discharge cells charging up at about 2 amps (1C) with a 0.5C option which makes the MQHO2 the one to recommend. I've been running a number of tests on a MQR02 workalike (similar charging ratres, slots and indicators) that also uses negative delta-V. Except for some batteries which lost their "vibrancy" due to overcharge/overheating from another charger, I've been most impressed by this chargers performance. The charger is available at Meijer and has the model number BC-905a on the back. Cost is under $20 with 4 LSD batteries.

PeAK

Last edited:

NiOOH

Enlightened
Had the time for some more testing on the MQH02. Overall, its a good unit. With healthy cells temperatures at the end of charge stay below what I'd consider harmful for cycle life. The charger is well constructed in a way that there is more space between cells for better airflow around them and the contacts have a nice click when cells are inserted. Charge completeness is also good, equal to what C9000 + 2 hours top-off does at 1 amp.
IMO, the charger does not terminate on -dV. Sanyo talks about "peak-cut control" with -dV and absolute temperature as a bacup. I think this peak cut is not a real 0dv (or peak voltage detection) but rather max V. In other words it works similarly to Maha C9000. Most probably however, the value is set higher than on the C9000 and top-off is not necessary. After fast charge the charger shuts completely, i.e. there is no trickle charge (not bad thing with LSD cells).
What I don't like is the single charge indicator. What if you don't seat one of the cells properly and it is not charging...?

Bones

Enlightened
I've put the charger summery page from you document, below. The MQHO2 looks like one-half of a Maha C-801D (2 amp rate/1C) while the MQR02 is similar to one-half of C-800S (1 amp rate/0.5C). The main difference is that they have the flexibility of charging at half the charge rate of those units when all the bays are full or if the normal charging slopes are used.

(image)

The current thinking seems to be use lower capacity low self-discharge cells charging up at about 2 amps (1C) with a 0.5C option which makes the MQHO2 the one to recommend. I've been running a number of tests on a MQR02 workalike (similar charging ratres, slots and indicators) that also uses negative delta-V. Except for some batteries which lost their "vibrancy" due to overcharge/overheating from another charger, I've been most impressed by this chargers performance. The charger is available at Meijer and has the model number BC-905a on the back. Cost is under $20 with 4 LSD batteries.

PeAK
Hi PeAK,

Thank you for including the charger summary in post 38.

Regrettably, it currently exceeds the forum size restriction of 800 by 800 pixels (which I was also pointed to):

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/Rules.html

Not that I'm an extreme advocate of adhering to the rules, but oversize images also expand the width of the thread itself beyond most screens, and make it more difficult to read.

Consequently, it would be greatly appreciated if you could use a thumbnail to link to your to link to your full-sized image.

Should you prefer to use a larger image, you are also welcome to use this one, which is reduced to the chargers mentioned in your post:

Code:
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk318/ptc2oo8/037fld31dec2008/euro-sanyo-chargers-full.jpg
It can be either linked directly, or uploaded your host if that is your preference.

Many thanks.

Bones

PS: That unhappy face ending the the sentence on the allowed image size was purely coincidental...