SC62w First Impressions

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dropped mine bezel down onto concrete from about 3-4ft after a few beers Friday nite at my local disc golf club. Lens is ok, light works like a champ. Little knick on the bezel. Now that's out of the way I can start putting other items in the same pocket as the SC62w. :D

Glad to know this light can withstand such a drop.
It's almost nice when you slightly mess up your new toy so you don't baby it so much you know?

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dropped mine bezel down onto concrete from about 3-4ft after a few beers Friday nite at my local disc golf club. Lens is ok, light works like a champ. Little knick on the bezel. Now that's out of the way I can start putting other items in the same pocket as the SC62w. :D

Glad to know this light can withstand such a drop.

You scared me there for a minute, I thought you said your disco club.:eek:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
It's almost nice when you slightly mess up your new toy so you don't baby it so much you know?

You're right!

Waiting to get my first knick on my new HDS Cerakote Orange Rotary, not looking forward to that!!. :duck:

You scared me there for a minute, I thought you said your disco club.:eek:

LMAO! Nah disc golf. It's fun, free and only takes 90 minutes. :)

turkeylord

Enlightened
For those of you with long screw problems (that's what she said), Eclipsesharp is selling stainless, tritium'd cap head screws on CPFM. Might be worth a try...

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...rews-for-flashlights-(Zebralight-and-Jetbeam)
Unfortunately, he doesn't make those anymore... :(
Here's a nice way to dress up your SC62w. Trit bolts!

View attachment 181

View attachment 182

View attachment 183

Sent from my iPod touch using Candlepowerforums
Excellent, glad to hear he's making them again!

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I'm impressed with the overall quality of the light, fit and finish seems to be on par with lights double the price.
No QC issues, it's tight and centred (clip and led).
The only nit pick I've found so far is that when you switch the light off, theres a bit of a delay, around half a second.

Capolini

Banned
Received my 62w yesterday. There's a lot of good info in this thread already but I thought I would add a little more. I won't speak to much to the physical qualities of the light other than to say everything is perfect... ano is even, clip is tight, emitter is dead centered and the button is nice and clicky (best yet from a Zebra). As to tint, I can't complain. It's as good as any neutral XM-L I've seen short of one of Vinh's hand picked anomalies. What I focused on was the PID controlled output.

The following graphs show relative output and temperature respectively. Both tests ran for 5 minutes and data was taken every 10 seconds. Output was measured with my lux meter and a ceiling bounce. Temperature was taken with a Fluke infrared thermometer at the center of the head. The room was about 85 degrees and the light was tail standing on an insulated surface (thermally isolated except for convection). Please note that the minimum of the Y axes are not zero. I cropped the operable range for visualization purposes.

FCc0JPF.png

lRQk7Is.png

On the output graph, you can see that after about 5 minutes the output is reduced to just over 60% and the light is able to dispense with the heat as fast as it is generating it. With the lux meter, you can visibly watch the small step downs occur. The output will hold steady and then abruptly drop a small amount, only to hold steady again. This happened once or twice between every measurement. It's quite possible that held in the hand, moving, or mounted to something, the light would maintain a significantly higher percentage of its full output.

As you can see on the temperature graph, the light heats up to its maximum temperature in about a minute and then holds very steady at just over 120 degree thereafter. The small variations in temperature after 1 minute are probably due in part to my inability to take the temperature at exactly the same place on the head every time. It's astonishingly consistent.

In general I'm very happy with the light. It's actually just a few millimeters shorter than my current EDC (a Malkoff MDC head on a Surefire E1B body) and no larger in diameter but it has several advantages that I can see: Has crazy output on high, will go very low, can reach High and Low from off, has a battery charge indicator, and of course IT CAN HOLD A PROTECTED 18650! That last one is what really gets me. I could not imagine EDCing an 18650 light but it feels great in the pocket. I just need to get in the habit of grabbing it from my pocket in the underhand grip vs tactical grip.

Hope this helps someone out there and I hope those of you awaiting one of these in the mail get them soon.

Cheers!

-G

EDIT: I was curious so I went back and re-did the test using my hand as a heat sink. I kept my hand wrapped tightly about the light, switching hands roughly every minute (it got quite hot to hold in one hand) and I was able to maintain ~ 90% output all the way to 5 minutes where I ended the first test. It seems like in real world use, you wouldn't be completely wrapping your hand around the light and holding tightly but surely you would benefit from the effect somewhat just by casually holding it in your hand. My guess is somewhere in between 60% and 90%... 75%?

Thank you very much for that test! it was very informative and easy to understand!!

I imagine it would act just like my high output search lights when the temps. starts to drop as it is gradually doing now! That is, when outside temps are 40/30/20F and below, the light has no problem maintaining max[if we choose] output for extended periods of time according to the batteries charge status.

I am going to bring this light w/ me as a 3rd light for my nightly trail hikes w/ Capo. It can be a back up light that will also get some use on the 70minute mini hike! lol! :)

GoBow

Newly Enlightened
Just getting into ZL. The SC62w is my first venture into a rechargeable light. Very impressed with the quality, small size, and light output. Have a feeling that this could be the beginning of a new hobby...

burntoshine

Enlightened
Just getting into ZL. The SC62w is my first venture into a rechargeable light. Very impressed with the quality, small size, and light output. Have a feeling that this could be the beginning of a new hobby...

:welcome:

I'll be getting a SC62w soon. 'tis a cool hobby. And it's a very useful hobby if you like doing things outdoors at night. Zebralight's headlights (H600w especially) are great for mountain biking at night and gathering wood for a fire & other camping uses. The floody headlights are great for wiring outlets & such and any up close work.

I've had the SC52w for a while now and it's one of my favorite lights. I know I'll like the '62 at least just as much. I had two SC600w's (similar to the SC62w), but sold them both to buy other lights or maybe knives; can't remember. I have often wished I would have kept one of them.

Zebralight is one of my favorite flashlight companies.

Warp

Enlightened

If you find that you are reasonably comfortable with the lights you have...and want to protect your wallet...what I do that has worked well for me is stay away from CPF for periods of time (like, a year or more), until you are ready to make an upgrade. Almost like ignoring new cell phone stuff when you are not eligible for an upgrade yet.

Because reading about all the cool stuff regularly leads to buying it

(and I can't stop buying guns and gun stuff so everything else including lights are second fiddle)

Tapis

Enlightened
...(and I can't stop buying guns and gun stuff so everything else including lights are second fiddle)
Funny, I would have done it the other way around. I would have prioritized flashlights and would have stayed away from guns and guns purchases a year or two. Maybe even my entire life :whistle:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!

I'm really thinking about getting one now.....
My legacy HDS wont be able to keep up even if I have it modded.

Last edited: