Scored my 1st HID today, cheap!

DIY Lumens

Newly Enlightened
Last week when I visited my local Harbor Freight (ultimate toystore), I noticed a 9" HID offroad vehicle mount spotlight. They only had one, and it was marked as $59.95, clearance. I asked an employee if I could use one of the 20% off coupons on it and she said no, not on clearance items.

So I was in there again today, to redeem another free 9 LED flashlight coupon, and out of curiosity I checked to see if the light was still there. It was.
So I picked it up and plodded to the checkout counter with it, picking up some 39 cent chip/barbeque sauce brushes along the way, and asked the girl at the checkout if I could use my 20% coupon on it. She said yes :thumbsup:
so I said I'll take it.

Well, she rang it up, and it came up as $39.95! So I got my first HID for $32.

It is 35 watts, with a 6000k tint. Narrow spot with lots of side spill.
I'm thinking about making a 11xC NiMH pack for a super flashlight, although I must admit that for a second I thought about using it for a backup light on my truck, considering how people drive around here.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed a 9" HID offroad vehicle mount spotlight..........I thought about using it for a backup light on my truck.....
I would mount it on the back of your truck and connect it directly to your truck's electrical system with a toggle switch in the cab!!!!:twothumbs

Several California canyon runners have been doing this since the 70's.Of course they weren't using HID's.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Nice score!!

A multi-D NiMH pack would be better, they can dump a TON of current without voltage sag. They are big, heavy and $$$ though.

If size/space is more of a concern multi-IMR26500 pack would work too.

You'll have to rig up a clever charging setup that can balance charge that many cells though.

DIY Lumens

Newly Enlightened
Nice score!!

A multi-D NiMH pack would be better, they can dump a TON of current without voltage sag. They are big, heavy and $$$ though.

If size/space is more of a concern multi-IMR26500 pack would work too.

You'll have to rig up a clever charging setup that can balance charge that many cells though.

My first thought was D NiMH, but they are expensive. I don't think Cs will have any problem, unless there is a big starting surge. The light is only 35 watts, so it only draws ~3 amps running.
Charging is no problem; I have a Tenergy 1.8 amp 7.2-12 V NiCad/NiMH smart charger so I can just charge it as a pack. That has always worked for my ham radio battery packs.

Last edited: