• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

SD4Avn - Brightest AA Light

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinh - NO FAIR!! Teaser ...

This looks interesting: maybe my first VN light!

INTERESTING - but more (some) details needed.

Says on one site that it can also use a D-cell, or an 18650?

357mag1

Enlightened
I got my Vinh modded SD4Avn and do not like it as well as the Sunwayman D40A Vinh modified (I have 4 of them). It doesn't throw as far as either of my de-domed D40A lights and the transition from spot to flood is much nicer on the D40A.

I like the larger switches on the SD40A (Lumintop) and the fact that it steps from low up through turbo which is better than the D40A that jumps from low to Turbo and then steps back down to low via the mode switch.

Not sure if there is a glitch with my light but when you hold down the On/Off switch and it goes into "Moonlight" mode if you press the On/Off switch again it doesn't turn off but seems to jump to "Turbo" mode. Kind of makes the whole "Moonlight" mode worthless, you are going to get blinded trying to turn it off. Also there is absolutely no difference between "High" and "Turbo" on my SD40Avn, not sure if that is a function of the modifications or an abnormality with my light.

Hopefully Vinh can chime in and shed some light on the issues listed in the last paragraph.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my SD4Avn light, and I like it a lot. I got the XML PDT--the tint and centering are perfect.

Hard to imagine a better compact thrower based on AA's. It's a winner.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Just got my SD4Avn light, and I like it a lot. I got the XML PDT--the tint and centering are perfect.

Hard to imagine a better compact thrower based on AA's. It's a winner.

Everything is great abtou this light. I love the throw performance. The only thing that is weird is the moonlight mode that is access by press and hold power from off (I think). Then to turn off moonlight the light gown into low first and then off...Weriddd

So if you are a big moonlight user fan then this can be a problem.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then to turn off moonlight the light goes into low first and then off

Yeah, I played with this a bit last night, alerted by 357mag1's complaint, and that's what I found, too.

It's not quite as bad as 357mag1 said: it only jumps to Turbo mode if that was the last mode you used. Mode memory--it jumps to whatever it was last set on. That's why Vinh's jumped to low instead.

Still, it is does seem to be baked into the factory UI, and it's not ideal.

How bad is it? Practically, not a big deal. To turn it off, you just obscure the bezel (press it against your leg or whatever) and double-click (low, off).

About throw performance: this outthrows both my TX25Cvn (Pocket Queen) Spec 2 and my TX25C2vn (Pocket King) Spec 3.
The TX25Cvn throws around 60k lux, but the SD4Avn clearly walks over it. And its hotspot is twice as big (XML vs. XPG).
My TX25C2vn also has the XML, so the hotspots are the same size. But the SD4Avn is *considerably* brighter. I would say twice as bright, but that judgment is only impressionistic until backed up by a light-meter.

Other points: the heavy fins do a great job heatsinking.

D-cell support is good, but for top performance you'll want to use 4x Eneloops, as designed.

On an absolutely fresh D-cell, you can see a difference in all four main modes (though hardly any difference between high and turbo). On a D-cell rated 80% by my ZTS meter, you can only see a difference between low and medium--high and turbo just give you medium over again. It's the normal alkaline problem--it simply cannot produce the amps needed for high performance, and when you ask it to, it drains the cell rapidly. But if you restricted yourself to low and medium (and moonlight of course), you could get a lot of use out of D-cells. (and ditto for C-cells, AA, and AAA with some improvising).

357mag1 did not see a difference between high and turbo--I'm pretty sure that's a battery problem. Get some fresh Eneloops, charge them up to full, and you should see the difference clear enough.