search for something better than a TK11

Gunner12

Flashaholic
18650 batteries are 18mm wide(first two numbers) 65mm long(second two numbers). They are all supposed to be the same size but there is a bit of variation.

Hendrikjansen which light are you talking about?

Marduke

Flashaholic
It also depends on what "universal battery charger" you have. Without more information, I'm picturing a circa 1992 NiCad "universal charger"

artec540

Enlightened
My ears were ringing. :p

Hendrikjansen - I would skip the Tiablo line at this point; Take a look at the Olight M20 or LumaPower MRV SK. The LED Lenser P7 is pretty attractive as well. The Olight M20 is like your TK20 - but 'more' - output, features, etc.

Marduke & yalskey:
The new LED Lenser HP line should not be compared to their old product. The HP line cannot be seen at mass market stores like Costco and other similar retailers.

To make a judgement on an entirely new product line that you've not seen, basing judgement upon old product that you've only seen briefly or on a concensus opinion also based upon outdated information is simply illogical.

Yes - LL has an odd way of measuring runtime but 'output to 50%' is not some universal standard outside of CPF. There is an advisory panel of flashlight industry folks trying to put together a 'universal standard' which LL is a part of so one assumes that their runtimes will be more in line with the norm but remember none of the other mfr's, except those that cater to CPF, even tell you WHAT their runtimes are based upon.

Regarding battery choices; yes, I'd like to see a LL CR123A powered light but that doesn't mean AA's and D's don't have their place. They are cheap and widely available, especially in Europe where LL is based. I had a long conversation with the owner and chief engineer of LL and while they weren't 100% sold on a wholesale conversion they did seem open to testing the waters with some CR123A powered models so perhaps we'll see something coming in the future.

The LL HP line's quality is far beyond anything made by Dorcy. The HP line offers adjustable focus, something rarely seen on the flashlight market, esp with LED's and it's very easy and fast to adjust focus from spot to flood. Are they an enthsiasts light? Yes, I believe that some of the models are entirely legitimate entrants for the enthusiast market - if I didn't we would not have picked up the line.

Matt K,
Far be it from me to argue with you, but why do you say "Stay away from Tiablo"? I'm asking only to learn because so far, most of what I've read about the A 9 has been pretty complimentary.
I just ordered an MRV from you and am looking forward to seeing your new thrower!

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
yalskey - does that mean no crabs for me? :(

artec540 - I said 'skip', not 'stay away'. :p

Primarily I said that because I think that the LumaPower and Olight brands offer superior, and better supported, products. Also, we've had regular complaints from folks trying to contact Tiablo that they're not getting replies. I personally email/chat with Olight and LumaPower a few times a week and know that they're ready to support their customers in the manner to which we expect our customers to be supported.

artec540

Enlightened
yalskey - does that mean no crabs for me? :(

artec540 - I said 'skip', not 'stay away'. :p

Primarily I said that because I think that the LumaPower and Olight brands offer superior, and better supported, products. Also, we've had regular complaints from folks trying to contact Tiablo that they're not getting replies. I personally email/chat with Olight and LumaPower a few times a week and know that they're ready to support their customers in the manner to which we expect our customers to be supported.

Thanks for the explanation, Matt. I'll just have to hope I don't need support from Mr Tiablo! I certainly agree that companies that don't respond to customers' requests for help don't deserve to keep the customers.
Thanks again.

Glowman

Newly Enlightened
Had a friend who's boasting his LL P7 with its ridiculous runtime. Turns out that he became a laughing stock. What impressed us (flashaholics in our place) is the beam pattern which is quite nice and creamy but, for the runtime, regulation and battery type, its the thing he eventually was ashamed about.

LL is just good at their "Lens" aspect and not on their driver circuits even on their new products. They should be good at LENS coz' after all, its already in their name.:D

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Had a friend who's boasting his LL P7 with its ridiculous runtime. Turns out that he became a laughing stock. What impressed us (flashaholics in our place) is the beam pattern which is quite nice and creamy but, for the runtime, regulation and battery type, its the thing he eventually was ashamed about.

LL is just good at their "Lens" aspect and not on their driver circuits even on their new products. They should be good at LENS coz' after all, its already in their name.:D

IIRC, optics is actually the background of the head honcho of the company. I guess he forgot it takes more than optics to make a good light, like using more than a drop resistor for it's "patented electronics", and charging a realistic price for the level of the product being offered.

Glowman

Newly Enlightened
a drop resistor for it's "patented electronics" :crackup: Good thing they did not claim "patented LED emitter":laughing:

Maybe they did not know there is candlepowerforums community who scrutinizes lights thoroughly. Oh well, hope they can improve their drivers and battery type. AA or lithium is fine but, 3 to 4 AAA is a "turn-off" for the light of that size.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dereelight DBS V2 with module of choice (I like the 3SD for low, medium, and high), and invest in an 18650 battery or two and charger. I would recommend 18650's and charger from AW on the CPFMP dealer forum, and Dereelight is on the CPFMP manufacturer forum, and Dereelight.com. I've been having a lot of fun with mine, and it's easily upgradeable and easily configurable.

Maybe some other good choices listed here as well.

surfinsmiley

Newly Enlightened
which tiablo type is the best of his price?

i see the A9 what u think of this light? What kind of battery's goes in it? and how long il can play with the light before the battery's are emty, how far wil the beam throw :twothumbs ty

A9.... DX... $54.... Best buy LED ever!!! Really I can`t say enough good things about the A9, it rocks.

bgiddins

Newly Enlightened
Won't the upcoming JetBeam Jet-III M (Military) that can take 18650 and CR123s be a contender for an equivalent light to the TK11? They'd need to be properly reviewed to establish which is "better", and that's always subjective.

Hendrikjansen

Newly Enlightened
18650 batteries are 18mm wide(first two numbers) 65mm long(second two numbers). They are all supposed to be the same size but there is a bit of variation.

Hendrikjansen which light are you talking about?

I'm thinking to buy a LumaPower MVP and i have a TK11 and i'm thinking buy two 18650 rechar to use in it :D

What do you think of the LumaPower MVP ?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the MVP choose 18650 batteries with button tops (like ultrafire or trustfire among others) so that the batteries can make contact between them.

I'm obviously biased but the MVP is pretty damned impressive. :)

Hendrikjansen

Newly Enlightened
Nice but when i buy 2 or 3 18650 bats i want that they can also into my TK11 :), i think there is no much difference... how far wil the beam of the MVP throw for real? Fenix says about the TK11 200 yards but i think that usefull is 100 - 120

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
We don't normally measure such things - 'useful distance' is so relative.

I am confident saying the MVP will out-throw the TK11 and put a lot more light out at a given distance. On lux measurement alone the MVP is 35% higher at 1M.

Axion

Enlightened
Matt, if you would mind sharing, what were your lux measurements for the MVP at 1m? I know you think it's more objective if a third party reviews your stuff, but I think we'd like to know your results until a third party review can happen.

I know personally I'm just waiting to hear if this thing can compete with the Raidfire Speer (20,000+ lux with the smooth reflector). If it can I'm ordering one.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I'm at today home so I 'cheated' and used
selfbuilts data from his review of the MVP:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/205174
and Mev's TK11 review data:
http://light-reviews.com/fenix_tk11/

Basically the MVP behaves very differently. It doesn't put out a small spot at a distance like the thrower class that the MRV started but it instead puts light out in a much larger area so I am not sure if it's total throw would be as far but at a given distance it will put out a lot more light.

Check out MVP beamshots here - there's direct MRV/MVP comparisons which will illustrate the above: http://www.lumapower.com/products/MVP/180M.pdf

Axion

Enlightened
Whoops, I meant to ask about the new MRV SK not the MVP:p The MVP certainly looks interesting but I like the size and price range of the MRV SK better.

I was just looking at selfbuilts number for the MRV Q5 which he compared the MVP to. 18000+ lumens on 2x RCR seems promising. I assume that's the old reflector so this one should be able to do a bit better. That's also the old driver right? The new one should perform better on 1x18650 I hope.

Last edited: