Seeing demand for an improved reflector for the ebay HID torches

50$ would be too expensive for me, unless the solution would like double or triple the amount of lux :), lets hope indeed the DX reflector is a possible solution

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Hi KuanR, I have discarded the dimensions after the replacement. I would be best if you could get a caliper and measure.

Tried to get some beam shots but the phone camera sucks mate. :mad:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
DX reflector is for LED, the focal point is at the bottom, which means the HID bulb need to be lowered quite a bit,
there's not enough room to fit the DX reflector in a HID light which usually has focal point in the middle (The bulb stick into the reflector quite a bit)

I've tried the DX reflector on one of my HID mod a while back, not sure about the lux but it gives a better beam,
However, just not possible to fit into an HID light as it requires much longer head space.

missionaryman

Enlightened
$10 later and many weeks later I can confirm exactly what ma sha said
The focal point is too low so you have to raise it too high. The Olight reflector was actually a better fit because at the focal point it actually seated on the rim properly.
The beam quality was great, not as good as with the Olight reflector but much better however about half the lumens were lost out the back.

missionaryman

Enlightened
Tonight I'm going to get some beamshots happening with the DX reflector, I fiddled a bit today and found if I leave the lens cap on but remove the existing reflector and lens the the DX reflector sits in just the right spot.
At this stage now it's just so close to being able to be worked with that if the beamshots mark a direct improvement I will probably invest I an adaptor of some sort to hold it all in.

28245af6.jpg

Ceiling bounce beamshot showing hotspot with the DX reflector, this is much more focused and intense than with the regular reflector, in daylight you can't really look at it.

0cfbffdc.jpg

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a vast improvement over my light! Now If someone can make a drop in deep reflector...

missionaryman

Enlightened
My photos didn't turn out too well (partly due to an over zealous security guard who had to experience 2200 lumens in strobe mode before he agreed to put his paltry halogen spotlight out of my face) but mainly due to too much ambient light for me to see what I was illuminating. What I can tell you however is that there was an improvement but nothing like when I fitted the SR90 reflector.

A properly designed and finished drop in reflector will give a better result but it needs to be about 2" deeper to give proper HID throw.

Parabolic

Newly Enlightened
If any of you can supply reflector dimensions, we might be able to work something out.

Parabolic

Newly Enlightened
I didn't see a response for a few days and haven't come back until now.
Post #31 indicated you would like a 2" deeper reflector; so 40mm plus another 2"?
Does the 19mm need to stay at that dimension for clearance?
How large can the big diameter be?

missionaryman

Enlightened
I didn't see a response for a few days and haven't come back until now.
Post #31 indicated you would like a 2" deeper reflector; so 40mm plus another 2"?
Does the 19mm need to stay at that dimension for clearance?
How large can the big diameter be?

The big diameter can be up to 76mm, the 19mm hole is necessary for the bulb to fit through and no 40mm is all we get to play with unless we modify which is too expensive to bother with on a light this cheap