Selfbuilt's CR123A Battery Comparison 2013

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a datasheet. I did see a YOUTUBE review of the Olight S1 "Review the light" I think he goes by Bigmac or something like that here CPF, and the S1 would shut off in the outdoor beam shots because it was drawing too many amps on Hi/turbo with a protected RCR123. He said it should be able to run on high with an unprotected IMR RCR123.

Turbo mode on the Olight S1 is limited to 90 seconds. After that, it ramps down to 50% over the next 60 seconds. As yet, I have not had any problems with the Olight brand RCR123A battery. I suspect, however, that it may be at or over its limit. I don't want to start any rumors, however, because I do not know any facts about the rechargeable Olight battery. It may be completely within spec.

I have a BLF A6 flashlight that I sometimes use with the short, 1x18350 battery tube. I'm fueling that with a KeepPower INR18350 battery. It works great. I do not have any testing equipment, but based on the reports of others, I expect I am getting over 900 lumens. There is no problem supplying the higher current used by the A6.

I considered getting a similar 16340, INR or IMR battery for the S1, but rejected the idea. The S1 does not have any low-voltage cutoff or warning, so my choice was to run it on a protected battery.

david.allie

Newly Enlightened
Preliminary Discussion

Although the results presented here are only a limited "snapshot" of a handful of cells, my preliminary conclusions are different from my earlier 2009 testing.

First, I am happy to report that I am no longer able to discern any significant difference in the output/runtime performance of any of the made-in-the-USA brands tested here, of comparable age. Further, performance continues to improve over time, with cells manufactured in the last few years showing measurable improvements in my testing setup.

Secondly, the performance of the made-in-China cells tested here is even more striking. In some cases, these cells provided comparable (or better) runtime performance to the made-in-the-USA cells – although these effects are variable, and dependent on the specific drive level. That said, there is more to a CR123A than raw capacity, and I recommend you review my comments above around PTC safety engagement between brands.

Thank you :clap: for your tireless dedication to researching various batteries and battery technologies. I've learned a lot from you and CPF in the short time since I joined.

Using what I've learned, I've been trying to compare 2018-era CR123As. Looking at your 2013 CR123A shoot-out, we now know Energizer has moved battery manufacturing to China and both Duracell and Titanium Innovations popularity have waned a bit. At the same, the AmazonBasics batteries are now on the scene, but get mixed reviews among Amazon reviewers... while EBL and SureFire's names are popping up in more of my search results.

Since it's now been almost five years since the 2013 CR123A Shoot-out, are you planning on a new shoot-out OR perhaps lend us your wisdom as to brands we should strongly consider in 2018?

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Great idea David! I always go with Surefire but if another one is better I'm not adverse to saving $

archimedes

Flashaholic
Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I know the thread's a few years old, but I figured I had $.02 to add. I dug a light out of my truck last night to take a picture for another thread, thinking I had something to contribute. Alas, I was wrong, lol. So, before putting said Surefire G2 lego away this morning I figured I'd check the batteries. This is why for emergency lights I use primaries, and 99% of the time they're Surefires. These have been outdoors in New England through 8 or 9 winters and summers, and have had maybe a half hour of use in that timeframe. The Malkoff module still fires up at what appears to be full brightness without missing a beat.
20220504_074517.jpg

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the thread's a few years old, but I figured I had $.02 to add. I dug a light out of my truck last night to take a picture for another thread, thinking I had something to contribute. Alas, I was wrong, lol. So, before putting said Surefire G2 lego away this morning I figured I'd check the batteries. This is why for emergency lights I use primaries, and 99% of the time they're Surefires. These have been outdoors in New England through 8 or 9 winters and summers, and have had maybe a half hour of use in that timeframe. The Malkoff module still fires up at what appears to be full brightness without missing a beat.
View attachment 27306

Thanx. That's a comforting data point to know!

EDIT: I should add that although I don't always use SF cells specifically, I do only use the top brands we're all familiar with, and I imagine they'd perform similarly.

Last edited: