Sellers give forums part of the cut?

DaveH

Enlightened
I have a question, would it be a good or bad idea to allow sellers access to the email addresses in the forum for a price?

That way it would help offset forums costs.

Comments?

DaveH

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Dave. I'm doing fine. The only cost that is killing me is email forwarding. I'll get off my *** someday and get that fixed.

I'll implement banner ads for a while. But only as a test bed for another forum. I don't think I could get a good enough click through rate here to keep the service.

I have the <a href=http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Dealers&number=10&DaysPrune=1000&LastLogin=>Dealers</a> forum where dealers can post close outs, new items and specials, etc.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

D

**DONOTDELETE**

No problem here. I would not mind getting info. from Mfg. if led/gadget related. Sharper Image, Hammacher Schlemmer etc. get enough of my money as it is.

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
It sounds cool to me. I always enjoy learning about new and exciting toys. Just as long as they require batteries and somehow light up.

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by K Horn on 01-06-2001 at 06:50 PM</font>

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. I see the intent now. I'll set something up.

------------------
-Nordic proverb

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess I'm the contrarian here. Why give our addresses out? Don't we all get enough junk in our inboxes as is?

The beauty of this forum is that we can keep eachother informed of LED products we come across. I doubt there is too much going on out there in the LED world that doesn't get noticed by one of us.

Just my two cents.

DaveH

Enlightened
Let me expand a bit on my reasoning:

Currently the email addresses are available on the memberlist page. Anyone can copy and paste those addresses and send email
( or extract them using a web robot )
anouncing products, stuff forsale etc.

Now I don't personally think that's a good thing to do, but since there is no restriction on someone doing it currently, might as well suggest some form of consideration in support of the site for it's use.

OTOH, the membership list could not be public. Or, maybe there's an "opt-in", "opt-out" option for memebrs, but I imagine that would ba a PIA to administer.

I hope that made some sense, it might not have.
smile.gif

DaveH

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently have the memberlist set viewable only to members. The memberlist has the email column turned off. But if your email is viewable a member can click on your profile and see.

------------------
-Nordic proverb

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn! I just checked it. It's been on. I'll turn it viewable to members only. I turned it on to show off and forgot to turn it off.

------------------
-Nordic proverb

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. memberlist is viewable only to members now. If you're a member and can't see the list make a post in the practice forum or any other forum to set your cookie.

------------------
-Nordic proverb

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
Maybe we should all go out and spam these manufacturers and dealers with the link to this site. Then they'd know there are some people out there searching for newer, brighter, and smaller.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Virtually all unsolicited e-mail I receive which contains an obviously mass-produced content (based on certain keywords, fake headers, etc.) automatically goes straight to SpamCop for disposal and forwarding of abuse reports to all linked ISPs and e-mail providers found in such message.

I therefore choose to NOT have the mailing list handed out willy-nilly to advertisers or manufacturers unless we had a choice of being able to opt-in or opt-out in advance.

$0.03 (inflation, sorry).

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

------------------