Single Cell CR123A Lights: What do you use?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
single cell CR123A's.
Do you specifically want to use disposable batteries,
or do you mean that as a flashlight size category?

I have a lot of CR123 size flashlights,
but I never use disposable batteries in them.
I only use Rechargeable batteries.
Niteye Stepless Rotary, Novatac Clicky, Sunwayman Stepless Rotary
ppqJ8h7l.jpg

my longstanding personal favorite is the
Jetbeam RRT-01.

It can use disposable CR123A (aka Lithium Primary),
or rechargeable Lithium Ion (aka LiIon) 16340 (aka RCR123A),
and also 18350 (my personal preference)

Last edited:

UFO

Newly Enlightened
Do you specifically want to use disposable batteries,
or do you mean that as a flashlight size category?

I have a lot of CR123 size flashlights,
but I never use disposable batteries in them.
I only use Rechargeable batteries.

my longstanding personal favorite is the
Jetbeam RRT-01.

It can use disposable CR123A (aka Lithium Primary),
or rechargeable Lithium Ion (aka LiIon) 16340 (aka RCR123A),
and also 18350 (my personal preference)

I was primarily interested in the category of single cell "disposable" 123 flashlights, but I suppose using rechargeable batteries would work just as well. By the way, in your photo, what is the light on the right hand side?

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was primarily interested in the category of single cell "disposable" 123 flashlights, but I suppose using rechargeable batteries would work just as well.

some of the oldschool CR123A lights are not compatible with RCR123A

you should check to verify if a CR123A light that interests you, is also able to use rechargeable. Unless you specifically only want to use Disposable cells.

there are also some NewSchool lights that can only use Rechargeable, and will not work with CR123A

here is a site with a big database of flashlights
you can select the battery type that interests you, and it will show a list of lights

there are 179 matches for single CR123A lights
if you add a manufacturer such as Malkoff to the criteria, the list drops to 6 matches, of which only one is RCR123A and CR123A (dual fuel), compatible.

If you change manufacturer to surefire, there are 28 matches for single CR123A, not dual fuel capable

Last edited:

UFO

Newly Enlightened
some of the oldschool CR123A lights are not compatible with RCR123A

you should check to verify if a CR123A light that interests you, is also able to use rechargeable. Unless you specifically only want to use Disposable cells.

there are also some NewSchool lights that can only use Rechargeable, and will not work with CR123A

here is a site with a big database of flashlights
you can select the battery type that interests you, and it will show a list of lights

there are 179 matches for single CR123A lights

Thank you very much for this information. This will be very helpful. Most appreciated.

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix PD25 is my EDC favorite, and the Sunwayman V11R is my around-the-house favorite.

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
I've come to prefer the 14500 lights to the RCR123 options... Mostly because I like the roll of dimes feeling better than the half roll of nickels feel, and when in the middle of no where it's easier to find a gas station with AA's. That being said, I keep a SF EDCL1-T with a CR123 in an emergency setup. I'm considering getting an E1B-MV and trying a LF or Malkoff one mode head on it (I like the two-way pocket clip).

I have an old Nitecore single CR123 MH series light I keep in my briefcase for emergencies but rarely use it. My ET D25C Ti has been sitting in my flashlight box for quite some time since I switched to the 14500 version.

For general EDC I'll carry an ET D3A or SL Macrostream USB (both use 14500 batteries) when I need a small light that still has decent run times.

That being said, I've recently started to EDC a Fenix LD30 (18650) with DC-fix on the lense. It is almost as small as the SL above and smaller than the SF EDCL1-T, has better runtimes, and higher modes. However, when I need to clip it on my hat the weight is more distracting.

geokite

Newly Enlightened
Olight S Mini, no clip. So small, fits everywhere. Wish there was a AA version.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Single cr123's are my favorite type of light even though they are beat in performance by other battery types.

My favorite is a surefire e1d defender I carry as a backup daily. I also have an e1b mv, two e1b backup's, and an e1l outdoorsman that I use pretty often. I also use a streamlight protac 1l-1aa and a protac 1L. There's also my old foursevens mini ml but I hardly use it anymore, it used to be an edc.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
ShiningBeam i-Mini, 4/7 Quark, Sunwayman M11R, V11R, Olight S Mini, EagleTac D25C Ti. clicky and a JetBeam Jet II Pro in teal/purple.

I love lipstick lights.

Chris

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix PD25 is my EDC favorite

This light has the dubious distinction of being potentially my favorite light of all time..........., which it turned out I couldn't use.

I loved the light but disliked the side switch, but convinced myself I could live with it even with my absolute requirement that it always come on at 'max' output, due to the light's persistent 'last state power-up' feature. I quickly found that >90% of the time when I grabbed it and hit the tail switch, I would inadvertently also increase the pressure of my 'hold' on the light body with my finger(s) (almost exactly what one trains to NOT do when firing a pistol), and the the first light I'd see was 'Low'. If they'd made a 'Tac' version as they did for the 35, that might have made it to my 'favorite of all time'. The light remains 'Mint' in a drawer. I know I could probably smooth a layer of epoxy onto the offending side switch, but have resisted doing that to a light someone else would probably love as is. I'd give it to them if they were standing here.

To the original question: The 16x34 chambered light that for several years now is always in my pocket if I'm wearing pants is the ASP Garda(aka: Guardian) CR - DF. I'm not aware of any other light at any price that could take its place for my particular needs. It can use any 16x34 primary or secondary cell that I know of, but will only in-board charge ASP's custom 16340, which is what I use for that advantage. That light is being phased out in favor of a new model, although it's still available (@half price now!) from the ASP Factory Store. The light that's taken its place is the Sentinel e3, which appears to be a very similar and worthy successor, and adds chambering for AAs as well! I'm going to stick with the Garda.

Edit: The good info on either of those ASP lights I mentioned is put in the PDF doc called the "Sell Sheet" on their site product page(s).

Last edited:

Msf

Enlightened
Eagtac D25C mini, a twisty that is happiest with 3.0v (loses medium mode with more than 3.0v), so seldom run rechargeables in it. Swapped the LED to a high CRI LH351D, which also provides a much larger hotspot. Nice for night walks.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've come to prefer the 14500 lights to the RCR123 options... Mostly because I like the roll of dimes feeling better than the half roll of nickels feel, and when in the middle of no where it's easier to find a gas station with AA's.

I've kind of 'rediscovered' my Jetbeam Jet-I Pro I.B.S. Not a perfect light, but very versatile, and I am enjoying my first use of the 14500. The backup is an older HDS (Ra clicky), that I was feeling a little guilty using as a main pocket light with a primary cell. Before all that, my main pocket carry was a SF E1L on a CRi23a (whose cell lasted for years used mainly on low), and before that, my main pocket carry was a Fenix P2D (whose cell lasted for years used mainly on low).

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Keeppower USB rechargeable R123s' constant 3V output effectively turns its voltage-based boost into current regulation.
https://www.keeppower.com.cn/products_detail.php?id=664 I am wondering how these are working with your MDC? On the site Malkoff answered a question, saying he doesn't trust the 3V rechargeables to stay at 3V. I am hoping they are working for you still.
I already answered that, and you even quoted it.
Gene wasn't aware of these batteries until I told him about them ~6 weeks ago.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying a Malkoff MDC HA 1CR123 with the 95CRI 4000K SST-20 since I got it a little over a month ago.
https://malkoffdevices.com/products/mdc-ha-1cr123-flashlight?variant=37948542467
The new Keeppower USB rechargeable R123s' constant 3V output effectively turns its voltage-based boost into current regulation.
https://www.keeppower.com.cn/products_detail.php?id=664
I wouldn't have a use for one without the other, but together they're pretty sweet:thumbsup:

You are my hero! The MDC is such a great light but it was really hampered by the limitation to primaries. I tried Surefire rechargeables but the would not permit low to be low. The on board charger makes this excellent also so that the batteries can charge using a usb cable. Awesome!