SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

tjh

Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

A new (version 2.8) of the Android app has been released. I'm not near my charger so I can't test it

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

@kreisl Heres an idea about improving the mobile app that you could run by your palls at SkyRC.

At the moment you need to create the programs for each slot individually and/or remake the program for all posible combinations of slots.
It would be way more clutter free and convenient if when you press the program, they add a selection at which slot/slots the program should be run next to the start button.
This way you create the program with chemistry and current once.

MarioJP

Enlightened

Downloaded the update and immediately noticed some fixes for ver 2.8

-battery stats updates every second now
-Bluetooth connection to charger has been improved
-Adding of program now includes features that were missing on previous version
-when tapping back while in the battery stat screen. App now disconnects from charger instead of closing, making it easier to reconnect without having to launch the app again.

And here is what's not fixed.

The app will only connect to the first charger on the list if you have more than 1. trying to connect to the second charger will cause the app to get stuck on loading. Temp workaround is to refresh the connection until the charger you want to connect becomes first on the list.

That is what i've noticed so far.

Last edited:

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

Does anyone know why is the charger soft limited discharging 2x batteries at 1A if its capable of doing 2A on a slot, and also capable of going up to 4A in 4x1A config?
It should be able doing 2x2A, or am i wrong...

gyzmo2002

Enlightened

Does anyone know why is the charger soft limited discharging 2x batteries at 1A if its capable of doing 2A on a slot, and also capable of going up to 4A in 4x1A config?

The charger is rated 15watts max for discharge and 50watts max for charge

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

The charger is rated 15watts max for discharge and 50watts max for charge
I know what it is rated for, but still.
Read the message once again , and you will understand the logic behind the question.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened

I know what it is rated for, but still.
Read the message once again , and you will understand the logic behind the question.

Yes, I know what you mean now. Good question but I don't have the answer for now. Probably a software issue. I have FW1.02 with the 1A limitation too.

tjh

Enlightened

Surely it's because to discharge, the charger converts the energy to heat. It can't do too much of this or things melt/catch fire etc.

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

Yes, I know what you mean now. Good question but I don't have the answer for now. Probably a software issue. I have FW1.02 with the 1A limitation too.
Im asking because i found a way to run 2x2A discharge(posibly 3-4 too but im scared to try with more than 2 :)) , so i was wondering if there is a good reason it is disabled.
Or as you say, they might have missed enabling it and might become an easily accesible option in a later firmware.

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

Surely it's because to discharge, the charger converts the energy to heat. It can't do too much of this or things melt/catch fire etc.
And what would the heat difference be between 4x1A and 2x2A ? :)
In both situations is around 16w that needs to be cooled

tjh

Enlightened

Im asking because i found a way to run 2x2A discharge(posibly 3-4 too but im scared to try with more than 2 :)) , so i was wondering if there is a good reason it is disabled.
Or as you say, they might have missed enabling it and might become an easily accesible option in a later firmware.
Heat!

Are you sure you're not confusing the fact you can discharge 4 NiMH batteries at 2Amps, with trying to discharge multiple LiON batteries (higher voltage!) at 2A?

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

Heat!

Are you sure you're not confusing the fact you can discharge 4 NiMH batteries at 2Amps, with trying to discharge multiple LiON batteries (higher voltage!) at 2A?
Forgot to name the battery chemistry, im talking about Li-ion

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

i know what you mean.

4x(-2A) is supported for NiMH chemistry because of lower voltage, as you know.
1x(-2A) is supported for LiIon chemistry and if other slots try to discharge at max load, e.g. 3x(-1.01A) LiIon, then it feels logical that the load is reduced to 4x(-1.00A) LiIon.
In theory yes 2x(-2.00A) LiIon should be possible and may be offered in future firmware. Shifting the boundaries, e.g. to 2x(-2.00A) LiIon or to lower min. discharge current, -0.01A instead of -0.05A official spec, will be considered and tested, experimented with, in future, rest assured. I've added your idea to the list. But until then it be more important to focus all efforts on debugging the firmware. KISS principle, it was probably easier to implement just 1x(-2A) as exceptional case in the code and move on with the development, nothing but a practical matter. Originally no 2amps discharging was intended for LiIon chemistry to keep things even simpler for everybody.

Once we feel ready for experimentation, i'll be the first:nana:to test shifted boundaries on the device with custom firmware. :poof:

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

i know what you mean.

4x(-2A) is supported for NiMH chemistry because of lower voltage, as you know.
1x(-2A) is supported for LiIon chemistry and if other slots try to discharge at max load, e.g. 3x(-1.01A) LiIon, then it feels logical that the load is reduced to 4x(-1.00A) LiIon.
In theory yes 2x(-2.00A) LiIon should be possible and may be offered in future firmware. Shifting the boundaries, e.g. to 2x(-2.00A) LiIon or to lower min. discharge current, -0.01A instead of -0.05A official spec, will be considered and tested, experimented with, in future, rest assured. I've added your idea to the list. But until then it be more important to focus all efforts on debugging the firmware. KISS principle, it was probably easier to implement just 1x(-2A) as exceptional case in the code and move on with the development, nothing but a practical matter. Originally no 2amps discharging was intended for LiIon chemistry to keep things even simpler for everybody.

Once we feel ready for experimentation, i'll be the first:nana:to test shifted boundaries on the device with custom firmware. :poof:
Let me just share this :)
6248ff7f0f0acc727611a2f8c774c268.jpg

In all my logic i should be safe using it this way, but little encouragement from you will make me even more certain :).
So should i continue discharging Li-ion 2x2A?

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

You should monitor SysTemp, does it stay below 85°C ?

If yes, then all is good.

Congrats to the h*ck :devil:

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

You should monitor SysTemp, does it stay below 85°C ?

If yes, then all is good.

Congrats to the h*ck :devil:
It does rise above, and slot 4 goes down to 1.5 after 12 minutes.
Right at this moment im reversing the fan so it blows upwards, so it shouldnt be an issue, but ill see for sure in few minutes

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

you read my guide about reversing the fan, right?

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

you read my guide about reversing the fan, right?
Its already done.
Temp after 20 minutes is 74c, i doubt it will ever go over 76-77c.
Big difference the reversing makes. I did cutout the grill for better airflow, and also seems bit quiter without the grill(less turbulence) , but reversing it also might have role in the quitness.

Let me come clean about the "hack" :). Its more of a discovery as i didnt modify any software.
I got the 2a per slot when starting the discharge from the mobile app. My program is 2A discharge for all 4 slots, and slots 1 and 4 populated in the charger. It will posibly work with different slot/program config, but i havent tested it yet.
Its either a slip, or maybe Skyrc does plan to enable this in the next firmware so we can get 2a when working with the charger buttons.