SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The latest beta software is always posted at the jardex tinyurl link

fmc1

Enlightened
Does anyone know or care to speculate as to why there is a 1 cell limit for LiIon discharge at 2A?

It seems to me that 2 cells would be a more logical limit and very useful for me and I'm sure other owners would like this capability as well.

Is total heat generated from 2 18650's discharging at 2A greater than 4 18650's discharging at 1A?

I saw this mentioned in Kreisel's idea section of possible future changes but with no conformation.

To me this should be an easy one. What am I missing?

Thanks

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
DataExplorer 3.3.0 released

Item posted on Tue 01 Aug 2017

1) general updates and fixes
- fix analog display of synchronized master record
- support UTC time formatting
- enhance GPS coordinates support (longitude / latitude)
- formatting in degrees/minutes or decimal degrees based on unit settings in the device XML
- keep selected channel after opening an OSD file
- add history graphics template support (no default set of templates get delivered)
- fix STM virtual serial port enumeration problem (Graupner MC-28/26)
- fix device XML migration problem with devices using USB
- simplify device XMLs to language neutral version to reduce maintenance effort
(...)
4) MC3000
- add support for Lithium-Titanate batteries (BATT TYPE: LTO) FW 1.14
(...)
6) UT16E Unitrend multimeter
- add support
(...)
21) update users guideline documentation

Unlike sky team on mc3k, the dex team is working full-time on dex project, one can tell, I can tell 😰

Happy weekend everybody!!🙆

@Ravel , does your raspi dex recipe need to be updated now?

Last edited:

Ravel

Newly Enlightened
Unlike sky team on mc3k, the dex team is working full-time on dex project, one can tell, I can tell 😰

Happy weekend everybody!!🙆

@Ravel , does your raspi dex recipe need to be updated now?

Will look at it

Yourrid

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, long time lurker and BLF member, but I think this is my first post on here.

I'll get right to it; I tried to update my MC3000 to the v1.13 firmware, and got a "start vector err1." The update .exe will not go further than about 4% before the error comes up. Now the screen on the charger is blank, but lit up. The monitoring software saw the charger just fine, and still says the USB is connected when I run the program. I'm really worried I just made a $100 brick out of this thing. :mecry: I haven't unplugged the charger from my computer yet in hopes its not totally bricked.

I'm searching frantically for answers, and came across this "Dummies guide to reflash a charger after a failed flash:"
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/....php?p=4923550

Is this the proper next step for me?

Oh, I'm running Windows 7 x64 and the charger is HW 1.4 FW 1.0.3

Thank you for your help.

Yourrid

Newly Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Yes, follow that guide. You don't have a $100 brick

I just ran your guide.... you sir, are wise beyond your years. Worked perfectly. Exactly as you described. Thank you so much for the quick reply. :thanks:

dj_g

Newly Enlightened
Re: Kriesl: best location to buy MC3K

Hi Kriesl, apologies for posting this on the main forum, I am a long time Lurker, first time poster, and owner of 2 mc3k's, one of which happened to break unfortunately. I am from Canada (Toronto, Ontario) to be specific, (it's a big country lol). Would you know of the best places to purchase a brand new mc3k and not get stuck with an old one? Sorry I couldn't send this over pm!
Thanks
Dan.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will look at it
Sounds like a plan tia!

Apparently only the download URL within the recipe needs to be updated. Anywho I managed to update my raspi's DEX to the latest DEX version and i've been running it nonstop for logging mc3k, which is why i haven't tested the new Android mc3k app version aka V3.71:
Google Playstore said:
What's New
1.Optimize connection problem
2.App does not automatically turn off Bluetooth
Additional information
Updated: August 14, 2017

As everyone ;) remembers, one cannot run the USB PC LINK (pcls, dex, raspi, whateva) and the Bluetooth link at the same time. Please don't ask me what happens if you still try to use both link channels at the same time
:poof:

:crackup:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Kriesl: best location to buy MC3K

Hi Kriesl, apologies for posting this on the main forum, I am a long time Lurker, first time poster, and owner of 2 mc3k's, one of which happened to break unfortunately. I am from Canada (Toronto, Ontario) to be specific, (it's a big country lol).
Long time lurker making his very first post in the mc3k thread, great to hear from you, welcome to cpf!
I followed the coupe rogers last week, awesome stuff, with a new youngstar born :huh:
Were you able to fix/repair the broken 1 mc3k?

Tamadite

Newly Enlightened
For the record:
Problem getting MC3000 to connect to Firmware upgrade software (1.13) and MC3000 Monitor software
Platform OS: Windows 10 with latest updates (26Aug2017)
Platform HW: HP Pavilion
Symptoms:
.....Firmware update software detected the device. After pressing "Update" button it changes to "Wait..." but nothing happens.
.....Monitor software shows "USB on" but "STAR" button is greyed out.
Root problem #1: "bad quality" Nokia NC-101 cable. Changed to original Huawei mobile cable.
Root problem #2: using USB3 port on laptop. Changed to USB2 port. (laptop equipped with both types, USB3 and USB2)

Note:
Neither the Nokia cable on the USB2 port nor the Huawei cable on the USB3 port made the connection possible.

Tamadite

Newly Enlightened
I wonder how interesting would it be to enhance the device with pulsed discharge functionality.

This functionality would require the following parameters (just as an example):
Pulse duration (ms): (5 <= ms <= 10000) (--> it would be 200 <= Hz <= 0.1)
Duty (%): (1 <= d <= 99)
High drain: (0.01 <= Amp <= 2.00)
Low drain: (0.00 <= Amp < 2.00)
Cut-off Volt:
Cut-off Time (min):

This goal is to be able to analyse the performance of batteries/cells on diverse pulse draining conditions.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

garyyoung

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the first-generation MC3000's with fragile pins anchoring the sliders. I ordered one of the replacement top cases from GearBest, and plan to transfer the parts over as soon as it arrives. When I last looked inside the charger, it looked like many of the cable connectors and other parts were slathered with glue that had dried hard. What's the best way to remove that glue? Chip away at it with a sharp blade? Or would it help to heat it with a hair dryer or heat gun?

By the way, are there any modifications I should consider while I've got it open (aside from reversing the fan)?

terjee

Enlightened
What's the best way to remove that glue? Chip away at it with a sharp blade? Or would it help to heat it with a hair dryer or heat gun?

There's no need to remove any glue, at least there wasn't when I did mine.

A lot of the connectors that at first might seem like you have to disconnect, can stay in place. Biggest fiddly bit is just getting the slides themselves properly seated, but it's fine with a bit of patience.

chemEJoe

Newly Enlightened
There have been many changes since HKJ's review (FW1.02?), take your pick:
http://tinyurl.com/mc3k-list

http://tinyurl.com/mc3k-new

Hi Kreisl, Thank you for the above links, they answered a lot for me, as I've been absent from this forum for over a year.

I was an early 2016 buyer and did the fan mod, took the system apart and rounded the slider edges and used DeOxIT Gold. Got to know the insides pretty well. Then I went happily using this for my 18650s for night bike rides and charging all my AAAs and AAs (sometimes testing them, throwing out the bad ones). Love the charger. Switched all my NiMH to Eneloops. Great charger! Learned a lot from people here, you, and HKJ. The only thing I didn't do was firmware update as I don't have a PC (mac).

Alas, 2 spring retainer posts from that v1.0 plastic broke spontaneously over a month, knocking out 2 bays and that was inconvenient to say the least. Instead of hooking the spring to the holes in the PCB, I epoxied the posts and they are pretty strong now. Also had one screw retainer break and epoxied that too with success.

Problem is, on putting it together, I had some DeOxIT that might have gotten onto the PCB, and now it reads the batteries ok, but when I go to charge, Bay 2 says there's a Short Circuit and then the system reboots. I opened it up and used pure alcohol to clean the PCB and connections, and no joy. Bay 2 problem and reboot. Bay 2 says Short Circuit, and system reboots right after. This only happens when charging is initiated - reading the batteries goes aok for all the bays. (also, the first time this happened, I got a error statement, but it flashed away before could write it down and now I don't have the error statement anymore but it cycles on reboot as noted).

I'm worried there's been some internal damage - Does anyone know of this behavior and cause? Is this a known issue that there's a known fix for?

If there's so easy solution:

1. Do you think the manuf will sell me a new one at a discount because it was v1.0 problems that caused this to break down?
2. How do I get a hold of the manuf? Through Gearbest where I bought it?
2. Who has the latest versions (that is, are the latest updates/firmware now shipping from Amazon or Gearbest?) Who is the best seller these days?

I love the charger, and I can borrow my friend's cheap charger for a few weeks until I get a new one. I'd hate to have to abort and buy a $30 you know what ... If anyone has advice along the lines of the above, I would appreciate it very much. I'm sorry to have disappeared - been working hard on a turnaround and just got burned in biz, so back to my hobby things to cheer me up. Through it all, this thread is one of the coolest on the web for a guy who is trying to age gracefully and enjoy using his hands on stuff once in awhile. This and the auto forums ...

Last edited:

Macan

Newly Enlightened
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Apologies in advance if this question has been asked and answered. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Without a DMM, what is the best way to calibrate a MC3000? [/FONT][/FONT]

Frottage

Newly Enlightened
Wow, a lot of info to digest. Thanks to all who contributed to this monster thread, lol. So, I want one, but I want to make sure I get the most recent model possible. I see several retailers selling what look like previous hardware versions. Can somebody please recommend a seller or sellers that would have the most current hardware and firmware for sale? Thank you do anyone who can offer some guidance.