SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

sbj

Newly Enlightened
It is probably undisputed that the measured values can vary greatly if you simply insert the cells like a normal end user. I just did this with an AA eneloop battery in two passes from slot 1 to slot 4:
1st pass: shaft 1: 44; 2: 87; 3: 51; 4: 57mOhm
2nd pass: shaft 1: 63; 2: 174; 3: 44; 4: 41mOhm

Just from these two runs alone you can see that the values fluctuate by up to 400%.

It is pointless to try to derive any tendencies from such values. The goal must be to achieve greater measurement accuracy from the existing technology through a specific approach.

I then made the next pass using the method described above. Result:
Shaft 1: 33; 2: 32; 3: 33; 4: 33mOhm

These are values with which I am quite satisfied with this device.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
It i

These are values with which I am quite satisfied with this device.
Me too with the numbers I got.

I proved it - I just bought a second one. Haven't even opened the box yet. We're both happy.

EDIT: BTW, @sbj - I've never put an Eneloop into either my RC3000, nor my Opus 3100. I use a very basic Panasonic charger for all those, which is a very small number. Probably irrelevent to this data, but you are outside of my experience there. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too with the numbers I got.

I proved it - I just bought a second one. Haven't even opened the box yet. We're both happy.

EDIT: BTW, @sbj - I've never put an Eneloop into either my RC3000, nor my Opus 3100. I use a very basic Panasonic charger for all those, which is a very small number. Probably irrelevent to this data, but you are outside of my experience there. Just sayin'.
I forgot, I did have another question: I understand that one of the changes to the MC3000 over time was the design of the cell terminal tab(s), and change to the protrusions. Mine's fairly new, so I'm familiar with that version. Is your unit that you're using also of the newer vintage terminal design, or the older design, which I don't think I've seen? Just curious, since that part does play a role in what we're addressing.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
My charger is from the first generation. I think from 2016.
Thanks for that! You might be being affected by whatever deficiency(ies) the manufacturer apparently realized existed, which apparently prompted the design change to those cell contacts. I obviously don't know, and have never seen the earlier design, but that would seem to be a logical conclusion regarding why it was changed. That would therefore suggest that you might have somewhat more issues with cell connection quality issues than I perhaps do. Again, I don't claim to know, but that would all seem logical. I'll be on the lookout for a photo showing the earlier ones so I might better understand the change they made. It's likely a very simple change, but was perhaps in order. Thanks.

sbj

Newly Enlightened
I have put together some links to pictures of the first generation of contacts for you:

Picture of the slider contact:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/t...—-mc3000-charger-analyzer.389700/post-4525052
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/t...—-mc3000-charger-analyzer.389700/post-4526624
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/t...—-mc3000-charger-analyzer.389700/post-4746638

There are contact problems with AAA batteries. I then have to lift it slightly at the negative contact.
This then has the disadvantage that the sensor for temperature monitoring is no longer attached to the cell.

Even with batteries with a flat positive pole there is sometimes poor contact. I then hang it in the top contact of the slider like in this picture:
contact issues while inserting flat top cells:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/t...—-mc3000-charger-analyzer.389700/post-4808862

I think it's really difficult to make a universal contact for so many different cell diameters from AAA to 32650 batteries. Because the batteries with a large diameter then automatically rest on the contacts for the smaller ones.

Somehow I didn't even notice that the design of the negative contact had been changed. Do you have a link for me where it is described and pictured?

sbj

Newly Enlightened
I found the change with the higher single contact points on the plus side!

I think it's really difficult to make a universal contact for so many different cell diameters from AAA to 32650 batteries.

The MC3000 will also charge AAAA batteries too; it does so without any issues. So yes, it is very difficult to accommodate all those different sizes and shapes.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have put together some links to pictures of the first generation of contacts for you:

Picture of the slider contact:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/skyrc-—-ifa-2014-—-mc3000-charger-analyzer.389700/post-4525052
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/skyrc-—-ifa-2014-—-mc3000-charger-analyzer.389700/post-4526624
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/skyrc-—-ifa-2014-—-mc3000-charger-analyzer.389700/post-4746638

There are contact problems with AAA batteries. I then have to lift it slightly at the negative contact.
This then has the disadvantage that the sensor for temperature monitoring is no longer attached to the cell.

Even with batteries with a flat positive pole there is sometimes poor contact. I then hang it in the top contact of the slider like in this picture:
contact issues while inserting flat top cells:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/skyrc-—-ifa-2014-—-mc3000-charger-analyzer.389700/post-4808862

I think it's really difficult to make a universal contact for so many different cell diameters from AAA to 32650 batteries. Because the batteries with a large diameter then automatically rest on the contacts for the smaller ones.

Somehow I didn't even notice that the design of the negative contact had been changed. Do you have a link for me where it is described and pictured?

Thank you very much, Sir! You saved me a major amount of time looking for that! I'm going to grab mine and A-B them in a bit. I want to understand the (very few) hardware changes which have occurred, and this one was at the top of the list. You pretty much checked that box for me.

I primarily do 16340, 14500, and 18650. Next time I charge my small working batch of 14500s, I'll pay particular attention to IR numbers on those now that you got me thinking of smaller cells. That's good too.

And yeah, you're doing what you need to do to get the best results with what you're working with. That's what it's all about in this world!

sbj

Newly Enlightened

wallyg8r

Newly Enlightened
Just received an MC3000 in the mail on the 30th. Hardware ver. 2.2 firmware ver. 1.17. I upgraded the firmware to ver. 1.18 and all was ok. I've been reading here in the forum that the IR value is out on firmware vers.1.17-1.18 so I loaded ver. 1.15. With 1.15 the "batt ir" field does not populate in the android app. Has anyone else experienced this after downgrading the firmware from 1.17-1.18 to 1.15 on hw ver. 2.2? Thanks in advance.

mrrhh

Newly Enlightened
Can the latest edition mc3000 accommodate KP 26650 protected cells?
I don't know about the KP ones specifically but I've charged other brands of protected 26650s in there, however it's a really tight fit, I'm glad I've got the revised edition with the stronger pins/springs.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received an MC3000 in the mail on the 30th. Hardware ver. 2.2 firmware ver. 1.17. I upgraded the firmware to ver. 1.18 and all was ok. I've been reading here in the forum that the IR value is out on firmware vers.1.17-1.18 so I loaded ver. 1.15. With 1.15 the "batt ir" field does not populate in the android app. Has anyone else experienced this after downgrading the firmware from 1.17-1.18 to 1.15 on hw ver. 2.2? Thanks in advance.
PM incoming.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just discovered that the SkyRC MC3000 doesn't do this when a 0V cell is loaded. It has 0V across the output terminals when idle.
As is often the case, this nimrod knew not of what he wrote;-)

As is often the case, HKJ to the rescue.

The MC3000 absolutely can and just did reset a cell's undervoltage shutoff protection function for me.

Just insert the 0V cell into a slot, then press and hold the SN (slot number) button. When the cell is reset and its output re-enabled, the display will update and display the current open-circuit voltage.

He even provided an image of the signal used:
(this image provided with full credit and thanks to 'lygte-info', from this URL)

Screen Shot 2024-01-22 at 4.18.11 PM.png

cpfiul

Newly Enlightened
Hello
There is some strange heat on slot 3 which is stop discharging .
What could be the reason ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407-162856_Skyrc MC3000.png
    Screenshot_20240407-162856_Skyrc MC3000.png
    397.1 KB · Views: 18

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Hello
There is some strange heat on slot 3 which is stop discharging .
What could be the reason ?

What's the approximate age of the specific battery?

In my own experience, a batch of AW 18650 cells from the ~2010 timeframe ended up getting quite "tired" by ~2020/2021, due to usage. Generally speaking, the ones that had lost the greatest amount of charge ability corresponded to those that got hottest during charging. Swapped them out for newer cells, and those cells are all far cooler during recharging.

Could try moving that battery to one of the outer bays, then attempting another charging of it.

If you're willing, the MC3000 also allows the default temp setting (for batteries) to get set higher. (But, IMO, batteries that are hot to the touch are showing bad signs.)

cpfiul

Newly Enlightened
What's the approximate age of the specific battery?

In my own experience, a batch of AW 18650 cells from the ~2010 timeframe ended up getting quite "tired" by ~2020/2021, due to usage. Generally speaking, the ones that had lost the greatest amount of charge ability corresponded to those that got hottest during charging. Swapped them out for newer cells, and those cells are all far cooler during recharging.

Could try moving that battery to one of the outer bays, then attempting another charging of it.

If you're willing, the MC3000 also allows the default temp setting (for batteries) to get set higher. (But, IMO, batteries that are hot to the touch are showing bad signs.)

Ok . That was my first thinking too .
But:
- the battery is not old 2019
- the IR is about 70 mohms
- I move this battery in slot no 4 the heat stay on slot 3 !??
What is strange when charge with a same 0.8 Amp there is no heat on slot 3

Last edited: