SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

chemEJoe

Newly Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

ChemEJoe, the fan is only rarely required for all normal charger operation.

The standard discharge current for Li-Ion is .2C. For a 3400mAh battery, that would be a discharge current of .68A = 11.424 watts. This will cause no current reduction with the original fan direction.

Thanks Bill! That's what I'll do then. Still futzing with my NiMH batteries because my Li Ions from GB are going through SWE. V interesting the state of my batteries. I have a pile of new and old for my son's toys. No wonder they seem so lousy ... they are lol. This is a fun forum, to try to understand what every household has and needs, to be green, cost effective, and just smart.

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened
Got mine from Gearbest, ordered jan 18 shipped jan 19, received feb 9.
Can say that i had previous bad experiences with them, but this time i guess i have to thank the fuss made here and the bunch of you that cancelled orders from them :) .

Very satisfied with the charger and the plethora of options it offers, but a 90$ charger not being able to charge flattops without fondling, now that grinds my gears.
A cheapo(compared to this one) VC4 has no problem with any battery i own, and this one works with 2 out of 10 i own.
One would think that after such long development period the beta testers would catch that one, and it would be fixed in the production version, but no.Alas

Not sure what all this talk is about premium cables , but mine logs with no problems with the first usb cable i had at hand(cheap 1A one that came with a e-cig VW Mod).
While PCLS works great, im having trouble with DEX detecting the charger. Does DEX by any chance not play good with Win10 ?

Albert_

Newly Enlightened
Got mine from Gearbest, ordered jan 18 shipped jan 19, received feb 9.
Can say that i had previous bad experiences with them, but this time i guess i have to thank the fuss made here and the bunch of you that cancelled orders from them :) .

Very satisfied with the charger and the plethora of options it offers, but a 90$ charger not being able to charge flattops without fondling, now that grinds my gears.
A cheapo(compared to this one) VC4 has no problem with any battery i own, and this one works with 2 out of 10 i own.
One would think that after such long development period the beta testers would catch that one, and it would be fixed in the production version, but no.Alas

Not sure what all this talk is about premium cables , but mine logs with no problems with the first usb cable i had at hand(cheap 1A one that came with a e-cig VW Mod).
While PCLS works great, im having trouble with DEX detecting the charger. Does DEX by any chance not play good with Win10 ?

What version firmware did your charger come installed with? The fan is blowing upwards towards the inside instead of down and out?

Micro-b cables are primarily designed for mobile hand held devices and are known to have problems. Many users use them for power and charging where data transfer may not be an issue. Care is required with frequent use and handling. There are two very small locking pins on the male connector that sometimes wear out or become bent down and are no longer able to secure the usb connection.

The cables seem to work ok, with some precautions and potentially wear out prematurely. Because of their size are not always the best data cable choice for larger stationary devices and equipment.

Last edited:

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened
What version firmware did your charger come installed with? The fan is blowing upwards towards the inside instead of down and out?

Micro-b cables are primarily designed for mobile hand held devices and are known to cause problems. Many users use them for power and charging where data transfer may not be an issue. Care is required with frequent use and handling. There are two very small connection pins on the male connector that sometimes wear out or become bent down and are no longer able to secure the usb connection.

The cables seem to work ok, with some precautions and potentially wear out prematurely. Because of their size are not always the best data cable choice for larger stationary devices and equipment.

Its the fan blowing down version, or as some here like to say , like god intended version :). Firmware 1.02.

Albert_

Newly Enlightened
Its the fan blowing down version, or as some here like to say , like god intended version :). Firmware 1.02.

Ya I don't know which direction is better, my unit hasn't arrived yet.

It's not as common to install a cooling fan on the bottom of a case. Most equipment a cooling fan is installed on the back side and blows out. It's often part of the PSU. I Have a couple ultra small form factor desktop PCs that builds up additional heat, two smaller fans are installed on the front with a larger PSU fan in the rear. Air entering the front flows across the electronics and motherboard into the PSU and then blown out.

Last edited:

dssguy1

Newly Enlightened

I'm still rocking 62-65 degrees Celsius, discharging 4 Li-ion at 1A.

All I did was flip my fan and cut the grill out to reduce restriction.

Some of the other guys are doing stuff that still runs the charger near 85 Celsius and seems a lot less simple than what I did in 5 minutes.

Just my opinion, flip fan, cut grill, run way cooler, move on to a different problem.

Albert_

Newly Enlightened

Lithium batteries have problems taking a charge and producing output in sub zero temperatures. It's an issue with those emergency automobile battery banks, such as the Noco Genius battery bank / booster. These do work when not used in extreme cold environments. For emergency situations, people have been able to start and run their vehicle with a completely dead battery and also without out an automobile battery, only using a Lithium backup/booster battery bank.

Battery Type
Charge Temperature
Discharge Temperature
Charge Advisory

Li-ion
0°C to 45°C
(32°F to 113°F)
–20°C to 60°C
(–4°F to 140°F)
No charge permitted below freezing.
Good charge/discharge performance at higher temperature but shorter life.

NiCd, NiMH
0°C to 45°C
(32°F to 113°F)
–20°C to 65°C
(–4°F to 149°F)
Charge at 0.1C between –18°C and 0°C.
Charge at 0.3C between 0°C and 5°C.
Charge acceptance at 45°C is 70%. Charge acceptance at 60°C is 45%.

Lead acid
–20°C to 50°C
(–4°F to 122°F)
–20°C to 50°C
(–4°F to 122°F)
Charge at 0.3C or lessbelow freezing.
Lower V-threshold by 3mV/°C when hot.

Last edited:

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

But then again, female giant pandas are reproductively viable for only 24 to 72 hours each year.
So theres that.

bosko90

Newly Enlightened

I ordered my charger from HK 10 days ago.. and they told me: Yes, our stock now with CE and v1.03. About the cooling, we are not sure about the upgrade, but SkyRC said current v1.03

chemEJoe

Newly Enlightened

Just some comments on the Android App v2.5:

It is v cool.

Comments on the monitoring capabilities:

- Format for top Stop buttons at top not laid out properly for S3
- It will not start if WiFi is on (spinning ball)
- Going from main page to details works once, and you can press the channel buttons to see all the graphs. But, 2nd view of it ... you only get the channel for which you press before you get into the details (I think, not sure. It is only one channel graph, though). Workaround is to restart the App.
- the Details icons show AAA batteries when they are AA and AAA mix. Not sure if it's a standard icon set.

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Last edited:

Zanders

Newly Enlightened
All of my cables worked perfect with the charger untill I tried to provoke it with different USB sticks in the other ports. There seams to be some bugs in the PCLS that make the graph to freeze. Have no problems with other things in my USB ports.

maukka

Enlightened
All of my cables worked perfect with the charger untill I tried to provoke it with different USB sticks in the other ports. There seams to be some bugs in the PCLS that make the graph to freeze. Have no problems with other things in my USB ports.

This. I can consistently make the PCLS stop logging by removing or adding usb drives or devices while using the MC3000.

billcushman

Enlightened
US buyers - new Amazon MC3000 listing, fulfilled by Amazon. Monoprice Premium Micro USB Cables work well. The 3 ft is #9761, the 1.5 ft is #12003, and the 0.5 ft os #12002. I bought and returned several other brands that didn't fit well or had other problems.

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

Will see if i can replicate this next time i use it.

So, is anyone else having problems with DEX on win 10 not detecting the charger?

And a question for current owners - is there an option for just IR measurement without starting a program, or for that i have to upgrade to 1.04b?

sector9

Newly Enlightened
And a question for current owners - is there an option for just IR measurement without starting a program, or for that i have to upgrade to 1.04b?
You'll need to wait for firmware 1.04 for that feature

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened
You'll need to wait for firmware 1.04 for that feature
Not neceserily, as i have the 1.04 beta made available to me.
I would prefer 1.04 final, but im not sure how much longer i can keep it in my pants :)