SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

tjh

Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Sorry, I misread.
I do also use DEX though and I've had no issues with it talking to my charger each, regardless of which port plugged into.

Albert_

Newly Enlightened

Sorry, I misread.
I do also use DEX though and I've had no issues with it talking to my charger each, regardless of which port plugged into.

What is your OS, USB 3.0 Host controller and USB driver version?

Last edited:

Ferdinando

Newly Enlightened

I have a laptop motherboard with USB 2 & 3 combo, and I have trouble with DEX to recognize
MC3K, either using USB2 or USB3 port.

however ,with same laptop, DEX recognize
without problem icharger 4010

Thanks for all suggestions, I will try to modify
bios setting anyway.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

i have revised the list since ive just got the revised beita fw version (named 1.04ceita), just a heads up. pretty much everything has been allegedly fixed by now but their status is NOT TESTED because it takes some time for me to test the fixes, confirm that they have been fixed.

but at least the maker team thinks that they are all FIXED :crackup:

Last edited:

Rapster

Newly Enlightened

This I could probably do when the time comes. :)

What Albert said, not so much.:shakehead

To be honest, I think Albert is practising some sort of obfuscation technique. lol

Albert, it is not as complicated as you are making things out to be. For one, the reason Intel is not updating USB 3.0 drivers is because Microsoft is including all that stuff in the modern OS'es. The reason Intel and the such had to bring out USB 3.0 drivers in the first place was that the USB 3.0 standard wasn't fully ratified by the time they brought the hardware and Intel et al ended up having to support their own implementations of the USB 3.0 hardware, hence why the problems were mostly localized to the early versions of chipsets supporting USB 3.0.

For those concerned about updating firmware, don't be concerned. When the time comes and SkyRC release the firmware then we'll know what will be required and I doubt very much that it will be a complicated process requiring some outdated Operating Systems and exotic cables.

USB cables - if you have any Micro USB data cable around or under a metre long and it came from a reliable source (Samsung, Canon, Logitech, etc.) then you will more than likely be fine. The problem cables are the cheap and nasty stuff that only contain a strand or two of copper. There are plenty of the rubbish ones about, even the ones that cost more than $1/£1/€1, that's why if you use a reliably sourced third party cable you will be fine. The reputable companies do not supply rubbish cables because it's too much of a support headache and ends up costing more than they save on a cheap cable.

Rapster

Newly Enlightened

i have revised the list since ive just got the revised beita fw version (named 1.04ceita), just a heads up. pretty much everything has been allegedly fixed by now but their status is NOT TESTED because it takes some time for me to test the fixes, confirm that they have been fixed.

"1.04ceita"? Sorry, that's all Greek to me... :stupid:

tjh

Enlightened

It's great to see how responsive they are to feature requests/changes/bug fixes.

That was one of my fears in buying this charger that I would be stuck with fw1.02.

Thanks again for kreisl for your work triaging the bugs/issue we encounter.

Albert_

Newly Enlightened

I have a laptop motherboard with USB 2 & 3 combo, and I have trouble with DEX to recognize
MC3K, either using USB2 or USB3 port.

however ,with same laptop, DEX recognize
without problem icharger 4010

Thanks for all suggestions, I will try to modify
bios setting anyway.

Does the MC3000 show up in the Device Manager when connected to a USB port?

May be labeled as a "USB Composite Device"

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been waiting a long time for this charger to available in the US. I was excited to read that it was made available at Amazon and I ordered on right away. Just unpacked and did a quick read through the manual and checked out the differences between Dummy, Simple and Advanced. I think Simple would handle most of my needs but I like that the Advanced setting allows you get more granular with the current settings with 0.01A adjustments.

A quick hour with the manual and the charger and I get it all.

Mine came with firmware 1.03 so I suppose I'll want to upgrade it at some point.

I got the iPhone bluetooth app up and running very quickly and I like that you can setup custom programs in the phone app and start the charger with these programs for those one off times you don't want to setup programs on the charger itself. Work well and connectivity was no problem at all.

Now - on to the USB computer connection. UGH! Not working for me. I ordered one of those Monopiece 3 ft premium USB cables with it so I don't think that a problem - I've tried a few other cables as well. I am connecting it to a Mac though and it's not even seeing a USB connection. I use VMWare Fusion and have Windows 7 and Windows 10 VMs that I usually have no problem mapping USB devices through to the software. No go here. I think I might have an old Windows laptop around somewhere so if I can find that I connect it up to make sure that it's just the Mac being the issue.

Other than that I am very pleased with the charger. I've been wanting something hobby quality for a long time with the features that this provides.

One other note - this charger is HUGE! I thought my Opus BT-C3100 was a big charger but this thing is mammoth. It'll definitely be for home charging only and other more portable chargers will come with me when I travel.

Devon

Newly Enlightened

Could somebody please test to see if installing the software and rebooting prior to plugging the charger into the PC makes any difference to comms?

This may be an issue, or vice versa.

sector9

Newly Enlightened

I've been waiting a long time for this charger to available in the US. I was excited to read that it was made available at Amazon and I ordered on right away. Just unpacked and did a quick read through the manual and checked out the differences between Dummy, Simple and Advanced. I think Simple would handle most of my needs but I like that the Advanced setting allows you get more granular with the current settings with 0.01A adjustments.

A quick hour with the manual and the charger and I get it all.

Mine came with firmware 1.03 so I suppose I'll want to upgrade it at some point.

I got the iPhone bluetooth app up and running very quickly and I like that you can setup custom programs in the phone app and start the charger with these programs for those one off times you don't want to setup programs on the charger itself. Work well and connectivity was no problem at all.

Now - on to the USB computer connection. UGH! Not working for me. I ordered one of those Monopiece 3 ft premium USB cables with it so I don't think that a problem - I've tried a few other cables as well. I am connecting it to a Mac though and it's not even seeing a USB connection. I use VMWare Fusion and have Windows 7 and Windows 10 VMs that I usually have no problem mapping USB devices through to the software. No go here. I think I might have an old Windows laptop around somewhere so if I can find that I connect it up to make sure that it's just the Mac being the issue.

Other than that I am very pleased with the charger. I've been wanting something hobby quality for a long time with the features that this provides.

One other note - this charger is HUGE! I thought my Opus BT-C3100 was a big charger but this thing is mammoth. It'll definitely be for home charging only and other more portable chargers will come with me when I travel.
Have you tried using the DataExplorer program for Mac instead? Any connection issues there?

sector9

Newly Enlightened

I'm not familiar with this app. Is it a SkyRC app or something else?

It is not by SkyRC but supports the MC3000. It is here http://www.nongnu.org/dataexplorer/

Also, since you mentioned using the iOS app, make sure that the bluetooth LED is not lit on your MC3000 before trying to connect (since the MC3000 supports either USB or bluetooth but not both simultaneously)

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

der will be a new version 3.2.5 with debugged mc3k support out soon, a matter of days or so

billcushman

Enlightened

I just checked the discharge performance of four full charged Olight 3400mAh 18650 Lithium Ion Batteries at 1A in a new SkyRC MC3000 with the factory reversed fan. The maximum system temperature noted was 181℉ (82.8℃) at about 40 minutes. The fan was set to turn on at 113℉. As the discharge progressed for a little over 3 hours, the system temperature gradually fell to 136℉ (57.8℃). The temperature never increased to 185℉ (85.0℃) so there was never any current reduction.

This is a real stress test for the MC3000. For best life of internal components I suggest limiting discharge of four fully charged Lithium-Ion batteries to .2C or .8A. Discharging four at .5A is very easy on the charger. If you discharge four at 1A, even with the reversed fan, I suggest setting the fan to ON for this operation to help keep the system temperature as low as possible. If you want to discharge at 1A, only using three cell will be easier on the charger.

The specification of the MC3000 still lists the Discharge Power as 15 watts. 4 slots x 4.2 volts x .89A = 14.92 watts. 4 x 4.2 volts x 1A = 16.8 watts. Three 4.2 volts cells at 1A = 12.6 watts. Be kind to the charger when discharging near maximum discharge power. You will be rewarded with much longer component life.

The reversed fan improves cooling performance and eliminates current limiting with normal ambient temperature, but not pushing the discharge power limits is much easier on the charger.

Last edited:

dssguy1

Newly Enlightened

I just checked the discharge performance of four full charged Olight 3400mAh 18650 Lithium Ion Batteries at 1A in a new SkyRC MC3000 with the factory reversed fan. The maximum system temperature noted was 181℉ (82.8℃) at about 40 minutes. The fan was set to turn on at 113℉. As the discharge progressed for a little over 3 hours, the system temperature gradually fell to 136℉ (57.8℃). The temperature never increased to 185℉ (85.0℃) so there was never any current reduction.

This is a real stress test for the MC3000. For best life of internal components I suggest limiting discharge of four fully charged Lithium-Ion batteries to .2C or .8A. Discharging four at .5A is very easy on the charger. If you discharge four at 1A, even with the reversed fan, I suggest setting the fan to ON for this operation to help keep the system temperature as low as possible. If you want to discharge at 1A, only using three cell will be easier on the charger.

The specification of the MC3000 still lists the Discharge Power as 15 watts. 4 slots x 4.2 volts x .89A = 14.92 watts. 4 x 4.2 volts x 1A = 16.8 watts. Three 4.2 volts cells at 1A = 12.6 watts. Be kind to the charger when discharging near maximum discharge power. You will be rewarded with much longer component life.

The reversed fan improves cooling performance and eliminates current limiting with normal ambient temperature, but not pushing the discharge power limits is much easier on the charger.

What am I doing different that I don't go past 65 C in the same situation.

I removed the grill is the only difference that I can see.

billcushman

Enlightened

What am I doing different that I don't go past 65 C in the same situation.

I removed the grill is the only difference that I can see.

The grill blocks about 50% of the fan intake area. Axial fans don't like resistance. My ambient temperature was about 76℉. If yours was cooler, that would also help.

Albert_

Newly Enlightened

Are Lithium battery cell temperatures coming even close to ~60 deg. C. at a 1 amp discharge rate?

What temperatures are actually being reported by the firmware?

Temperature Specifications:

Battery Temperature ___ 20C - 70C safety cut-off (+ safety net)
Internal Temperature ___ 85C safety net
Operating Temperature __ 0C to 40C ventilated room

Last edited:

billcushman

Enlightened

Are the Lithium battery cell temperatures coming even close to ~60 deg. C. at a 1 amp discharge rate?

What temperatures are actually being reported by the firmware?

Temperature Specifications:

Battery Temperature ___ 20C - 70C safety cut-off (+ safety net)
Internal Temperature ___ 85C safety net
Operating Temperature __ 0C to 40C ventilated room

Read my post #2395. It fully answers all your questions except battery temperature. The battery temperature at 1A discharge is typically around 100℉ (37.8℃).

Albert_

Newly Enlightened

Read my post #2395. It fully answers all your questions except battery temperature. The battery temperature at 1A discharge is typically around 100℉ (37.8℃).

85C is within Internal Temperature specification safety net. How does the temperature reported by MC3000 firmware reflect actual operating temperatures?

(sorry for the questions, my charger's delivery has been delayed for another month +/- because of some confusion with expedited shipping, an additional item being added to the order voided expedited shipping of the MC3000, even though the second item was accepted for expedited shipping during checkout. I wouldn't recommend adding additional items when ordering a MC3000 as other shipping options potentially become voided)

I have a Fluke Laser thermometer with a temperature probe that I've used to measure different battery charging temperatures. Some battery chargers may have internal temperature sensors however the sensors are normally used along with voltage, current and resistance measurements to compute battery temperatures using an A/D chip.

Does the MC3000 report the charger unit's operating temperature? 85C would be outside their operating temperature specification.

Here's a simple method to add a temperature probe to your DMM.

http://www.instructables.com/id/A-simple-tip-to-add-a-thermometer-to-your-digital-/

Here are a few articles and pdf I've been reading to obtain a better understanding about batteries, battery charging and temperatures. I'm still in the process of researching different aspects of batteries and battery charging.

http://www.jhuapl.edu/ott/technologies/technology/articles/P02884.asp

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3247723/

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/testing_lithium_based_batteries

http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/29421f.pdf

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/571

Thermistors: http://www.semitec-usa.com/application/battery1.html

Last edited: