SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Hail the Light

Newly Enlightened
I'm usually good at working these things out, I have the skyrc mc3000 HW 1.4+ running 1.10 firmware, i can't enter DDV mode. Everything I was able to work out form the manual, is this problem a known issue with FW 1.10? All sots are in an active \ busy state, the up\down arrow buttons work great, the manual doesn't mention anything about the UI mode being required, thanks everyone.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
the manual doesn't mention anything about the UI mode being required, thanks everyone.

Hello. It is on purpose that the manual doesn't mention anything about your asked detail or other specific details like parameter ranges for the options. This leaves the maker with some spielraum to change or expand the firmware within bounds without needing to change the official internal Design Spec or the manual as well, over and over again. Nothing is set in stone, and what we like today in the firmware, we might prefer it the other way tomorrow. Especially when there is no clear consensus things are left undecided. One example is the beeping when System Beep AND Key Beep are Off; in FW1.12 there is still beeping when the battery temperature is too hot or some other abnormal program termination has occurred, we could call it Warning Beep. The other example is your asked question about the UI mode and DDV. Should DDV be available in Dummy mode, or rather not? I am indifferent and it would be arbitrary and not helpful to set it in stone, simply because taking that decision is not necessary, not urgent. We can make it available in 1.13, not available in 1.14, back available in 1.15 and so on, for utmost flexibility. If i felt strongly about that question and my suggested answer, then the decision would've been taken already and the answer noted in the printed manual.

Currently in FW1.12 and afaik earlier FW's, DDV is not accessible/not available in Dummy mode. I was aware of it, i knew it, and i felt indifferent about the situation, i didn't care, i didn't mind. It also made some sense to me, Dummy = KISS.
Maybe we hadn't discussed this detail earlier, because most of the users use Advanced Mode anyway, my guess?
So you are missing DDV access in Dummy mode, did i understand you correctly? I see. Anybody else?

I never asked the team about this detail. If i now go and ask, messenger style could possibly ;) go like this lol:
[INSIGHT]
q: Helo, why isn't DDV available in Dummy mode?
a: Helo back. WTHAYTA?
q: In Dummy mode. The DDV. No DDV. No mention in manual.
a: And? What was your question again?
q: Did you have any reasons to not make DDV available in that special mode?
a: Why are you asking? Are you missing it?
q: Heh why are you answering my questions always with another question? Wth.
a: Sorry. Wondering why you're asking now. Never been a topic before iirc.
q: No i am not missing it. Just asking. I noticed it but didn't mind. Before.
a: Yeah, same here, no reason. Or can't remember.
a:
So do you want to have it changed now or what, is that it?
q: I've just said i didn't mind. It means, i dunno.
a: OIC. Ye, never mind then?
q: Guess so. For now. I might get back one day tho. We could take a final decision then.
a: What good? I don't get it. "
Open Coding Is My Style".
q: Okok. With no consensus we could just leave how things are. No prob.
a: Gotcha. Thanks for your understanding.
q: Dang, this discussion wasn't very helpful today. Thanks anyway.
a: (no further reaction. left. gone. without saying bye. lol)
q: (leaving too. moving on.)

[/INSIGHT]

Last edited:

DT123

Newly Enlightened
My Windows 8 computer is running with an APC ups. I have the feeling that this could cause my problems.
Does anyone use an ups AND the MC3000 on the same computer?

Last edited:

Hail the Light

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the update, I know the features change with firmware that's whats great about this model :) I really liked the manual provided and now own 2 of these mc3000's. I wasn't sure about whether it was due to dummy mode or I wasn't understanding the keypress sequence from TOV about displaying DDV mode, like booting MS windows sometimes it only works when facing south and standing on one foot while wearing green pants, If it's only available in Advanced mode, then i know it's working as its supposed to :)

lmcmann

Newly Enlightened
My Windows 8 computer is running with an APC ups. I have the feeling that this could cause my problems.
Does anyone use an ups AND the MC3000 on the same computer?

Nope. But I am running 8.1 with all critical and no important updates on two different computers connected to the charger with no problems logging or updating firmware. So it isn't inherently an 8.1 problem.

But it's Winblows. Who knows? So many variations in hardware and drivers. All I can say is that it can work. It wouldn't surprise me if the ups software was hosing things up.

DT123

Newly Enlightened
If the MC3000 was disconnected and I connect first the USB cable and then the power cable then I get some 'low power' message on the display. Somehow I am not able to reset it without un- and re-plugging the whole charger again.
Isn't there a normal way to 'reset' that error message und use the charger?

tjh

Enlightened
If the MC3000 was disconnected and I connect first the USB cable and then the power cable then I get some 'low power' message on the display. Somehow I am not able to reset it without un- and re-plugging the whole charger again.
Isn't there a normal way to 'reset' that error message und use the charger?
Press the enter button.

vicbin

Newly Enlightened
New MC3000 owner here, purchased in Nov from GB, PCB Rev 1.5, firmware 1.10 and with latest case.

Just curious how you guys pulled these connectors "easily" as they are glued like this ? :thinking:

help-needed-how-to-removeclean-off-these-annoying-glue-easily

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just flashed the 1.12 firmware, and now when screensaver runs, the annoying beeps are permanent (even with "System Beep" and "Key Beep" to off)
The only solution to set the screensaver to off.
yeh that was a bug (k#83) and has been fixed in FW1.13. now, when System Beep is Off, the Screensaver is noiseless :sssh:
Thanks for pointing out, several users had noticed the same bug and some complained.

Given that display is limited to 18 characters, so it is the same name as in SPV for easier understanding it can be named "SAVE TO:" with variations "SLOT", "ALL SLOTS" and "POPULATED"(or possibly READY).
you wanted it AND :nana: i liked it, so here you go (k#82):

i like the new function very much
qq0038auww.gif
(thanks so much for the terrific idea!
qq0492bu2l.gif
), and it definitely improves the UI notably. A matter of opinion/taste, maybe now the optimal setting would be Ready, not Slot anymore. However the GSV default after a factory reset will remain Slot so that users coming from earlier ****warez don't get surprised by any new or unexpected UI behavior.

scav

Newly Enlightened
Do you know maybe how to force MC3000 charger to start charging dead NiCd cells ? I have few NiCd cells with 0V so the charger does not recognize the cells (NO BATTERY) but I would like to put some Current to them to check if they start life.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
this question is never getting old :D

it was answered in the FAQ's : press'n hold the SNB and keep holding until the NO BATTERY turns into a voltage reading. should work!

scav

Newly Enlightened
this question is never getting old :D

it was answered in the FAQ's : press'n hold the SNB and keep holding until the NO BATTERY turns into a voltage reading. should work!

I tried and after pressing button it shows fluctuating voltage from 0.15-0.09V and after I release SNB button it shows still NO BATTERY so I cannot start charging. I think that cells are completly dead as they have electrical short between + and - . (checked on my multimeter)

Last edited:

maukka

Enlightened
I have some batteries with protection circuits that cannot be brought back to life with the MC3000. Acebeam 26650s are like this if I recall correctly.

Torchmee

Newly Enlightened
Hi.
Just joined the forum. I purchased a MC3000 from a US seller who received a current production shipment in November.
It has all of the latest fixes/updates and I feel good since any issues can be handled here instead of China and the price was the lowest I have seen after much research.

Anyway I was going to ask if anyone could direct me to a download link to the 1.11 firmware. SkyRC only has 1.12 available for download which I don't want. Now after reading kreisl's post above about the 1.13 firmware I would like to try it.

Any links to 1.13 available?
Thanks

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
# is short for SLOT

[] is short for PROGRAM

[05] = PROGRAM[05]

#5 does not exist
SAVE TO
After a Factory Reset, this SPV option defaults to the present program number in the slot under consideration, referred to as "Slot" in the GSV option of the same name. Changing the program number here allows the user to save the entire modified set of program settings under a different program number, leaving the original set of program settings intact, very similarly to the "Save As..." function as known from common PC software applications. The parameters "Ready" and "All Slots" facilitate assigning identical programs, duplicates, to other slots by overwriting in parallel the currently assigned programs. "Ready" saves the program under the present program number to all ready slots. "All Slots" first saves the changes under the present program number and then copies the entire program including its program number over to all four slots; in currently active slots, the new program will not become active until the slot with the ongoing program has been stopped.
Example: In TOV, slot#1 be empty and assigned with PROGRAM[09]. In SPV, after decrementing the program number of/in #1 from [09] to [03] at the inverted top row, you access PROGRAM[03] to edit its settings, thereby generating a "[03*]" in #1 so to speak. The last row in SPV defaults to SAVE TO [03]; depressing <ENTER> would just save [03*] under [03] and make it the active program in #1. Depressing <ENTER> on SAVE TO [05] would save [03*] as program[05], overwriting whatever PROGRAM[05] has been before, and return to TOV; the original [03] stays intact in #1, as if untouched. If (inactive) slot#2 was assigned with [05] before, then #2 would be now ready yet to run the [03*] so to speak. Depressing <ENTER> on SAVE TO All Slots would first save [03*] under [03] and then make it the new program in all slots. Depressing <ENTER> on SAVE TO Ready would first save [03*] under [03] and then scan for ready slots: if there were any ready slots, [03] would become their new program; however, since #1 is an empty slot in our example, the slot would keep [09] and not adopt [03].

Last edited:

tjh

Enlightened
Duh, sorry, of course it is. It was too early here (6:30am) when I watched that and hadn't had any coffee. Sorry for the numb question.

romteb

Enlightened
I got the Banggood product N°948165 5.5x2.1mm DC Connector Switch, opening the ID of the male end with a drill bit made it possible to use on the MC3000.

710730Capturedcran20161203145617.png

The male end on the one i received didn't have the inner metal ring that you can see on the picture below from BG, making it very easy to open up with a drill bit by hand, once the plastic end was drilled it plug relatively easily in the MC3000, it was a bit tight but went without too much pressure.

154992Capturedcran20161203145634.png

Last edited:

Latest posts