SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

fmc1

Enlightened
Albert

Try changing Temp Unit to Fahrenheit in GSV on the charger itself and reset everything back to normal on Dex.

It worked for me. I see all correct Fahrenheit readings in Dex.

Frank

Albert_

Newly Enlightened
Albert

Try changing Temp Unit to Fahrenheit in GSV on the charger itself and reset everything back to normal on Dex.

It worked for me. I see all correct Fahrenheit readings in Dex.

Frank

I did try that but will give it a try again. What I'm going to do is start from scratch, completely uninstall and then re-install Dex. Make certain the charger is set for "F" Fahrenheit units. Create a usb connection from the PC and start Dex.

Albert_

Newly Enlightened
Ok, a re-installation of Dex produced mixed results.

I have both Tenergy and Enveloop NiMH AAs.

Installing both type of AA with correct NiMH and Enveloop default settings from the MC3000.

The DataExporer seems to produce the correct temperature output (battery & system) with "F" Fahrenheit units after selecting "Slot" > Charge.

However when I select Combi-5 All active slots the temperature unit measurements (battery & system) are in "C" Centigrade.

viperxp

Enlightened
Another DEX question.

In "digital" tab the data layout is vertical, but I'd like it to be vertical. How do I achieve that?

The current layout

MRKmMrZ.png

The layout that I'd like to achieve

nkiSJX6.png

Thank you

Ravel

Newly Enlightened
Albert,
A sys T of 71C is rather high, in my experience at least.
You must have the fan hurling

I have never seen more than a few C difference between batteries and sys T

And I would not run my batteries at 70C+

something is wrong

Do you have the same problem in advanced mode ?
Is the T on the MC3000 screen making sense ?

Once you have reset everything, if you still record silly T
My advice is unchanged, previous post,
you have not answer firmware and hardware version of the MC3000,
and all the tests will allow to discard potential problems

Thanks for the data
Graphs would be usefull for all channels, you can keep recording and change
settings, start and stop slots, and tell people what you wew doing including
settings and type of batteries used.

I dot not have my MC3000 at hand, cannot help more, sorry

Albert_

Newly Enlightened
Albert,
A sys T of 71C is rather high, in my experience at least.
You must have the fan hurling

I have never seen more than a few C difference between batteries and sys T

And I would not run my batteries at 70C+

something is wrong

Do you have the same problem in advanced mode ?
Is the T on the MC3000 screen making sense ?

Once you have reset everything, if you still record silly T
My advice is unchanged, previous post,
you have not answer firmware and hardware version of the MC3000,
and all the tests will allow to discard potential problems

Thanks for the data
Graphs would be usefull for all channels, you can keep recording and change
settings, start and stop slots, and tell people what you wew doing including
settings and type of batteries used.

I dot not have my MC3000 at hand, cannot help more, sorry

MC3000 was updated, a while back using a MC3000_Firmware_Update_V1.13.rar file

Current versions reported by MC3000

FW version 1.3
HW version >= 1.3

Perhaps there is a slightly different HW version as I seem to remember a post with something about beta version(s)?
______

MC3000 doesn't report the same temperatures as Dex while reporting data after selecting Combi-5 which is reporting Centigrade even though the MC3000 temperature unit is set to "F" (Fahrenheit) . If I select an individual slot Dex reports temperature in "F" (Fahrenheit) (when MC3000 temp. unit is set to "F" (Fahrenheit)) with temp. measurements that appear to be nearly the same as reported by MC3000.

Apparently Dex is having problems reporting temperature while in Combi mode.

The first two pics are of Dex's Device manager temperature unit input "box". Apparently this is to allow changing the temp. unit for what ever device you have loaded. The very bottom pic is of Dex temperature output after selecting "Slot" mode. Temperatures appears to be the same as reported by MC3000, when set to a "F" (Fahrenheit) temperature unit. (note: pic temperature readings, after MC3000 has been powered on for only a short while, while the MC3000 is closer to room temperatures)

However the problem with Dex's device manager temp unit configuration may be the result of how the Dex MC3000 driver is written or possibly there are other Dex settings and configuration(s) I haven't yet come across.

Currently Dex is reporting "C" Centigrade temperature units while in combi mode and "F" (Fahrenheit) while in Slot mode. (MC3000 temp unit configured as "F" (Fahrenheit).

Dex's device manager shows all of it's temperature units as being in "C" Centigrade. This is after a re-installation.

I had previously tried changing and saving the Dex temperature units to both "C" and "F" from it's Device Manager however from previous memory recall the temp units sometimes changed back to "C" from "F" and then back again while changing MC3000's temperature unit.

Anyway Dex seems to be reporting temperatures correctly and behaving as expected while in slot mode. However the device manager temperature units have stayed in "C" centigrade even though the MC3000 is configured for "F" (Fahrenheit). Manually editing the temp. units from Dex's device manager has produced mixed results.

I haven't tested or experimented any further until I able to clarify current conditions while in Combi mode of Dex reporting "C" instead of "F" temperature units. (while MC3000 temp units are configured as to "F" and Dex's slot mode also reporting as "F" units)

device_prop_editor_system_temp.jpg

device_prop_editor_slot_temp.jpg
main_pic.jpg

Last edited:

Albert_

Newly Enlightened
I've just starting to become familiar with Dex. The Device toolbox apparently can only be accessed when there are not any batteries installed in the MC3000. With batteries installed there is an error message that the device (MC3000) is busy and that the tool box dialog is disabled.

If there is no usb connection selecting the toolbox an error message is produced that there is no usb connection.

I'm able to access the the toolbox when there is a usb connection, without any batteries installed and no device gathering.

I'm still trying to figure out how to better display Dex's output screens and if each output screen type is editable.

Below is a question that has been asked by Dex users.

" ____

Hello,

I have a need to re-arrange the alignment in the "digital" tab from vertical to horizontal. I know that it can be done, just don't know how. Tried googling, making some experiments but no use.

This is the current layout (not what I am after) https://i.imgur.com/MRKmMrZ.png

MRKmMrZ.png

And this is a picture of the layout I want to see for the "digital" tab

https://i.imgur.com/nkiSJX6.png

" ______________________

Last edited:

Ravel

Newly Enlightened
I have a need to re-arrange the alignment in the "digital" tab from vertical to horizontal. I know that it can be done, just don't know how. Tried googling, making some experiments but no use.

This is not explained in the manual ?
http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/dataexplorer/DataExplorer - Users Guide.pdf

edited with link in git
http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit...taExplorer/doc/DataExplorer - Users Guide.pdf

edited, none of these links are the latest PDF, used instead
https://download-mirror.savannah.gnu.org/releases/dataexplorer/DataExplorer - Users Guide.pdf
(Thanks Albert)

Last edited:

Ravel

Newly Enlightened
MC3000 doesn't report the same temperatures as Dex while reporting data after selecting Combi-5 which is reporting Centigrade even though the MC3000 temperature unit is set to "F" (Fahrenheit) . If I select an individual slot Dex reports temperature in "F" (Fahrenheit) (when MC3000 temp. unit is set to "F" (Fahrenheit)) with temp. measurements that appear to be nearly the same as reported by MC3000.

I start to understand, now I have my MC3000 at hand connected to my raspi.
I discharged batteries (Celcius graphs were correct).
Then I loaded a charging program to all slots at once (via copy to slots menu)
Then I have setup the MC3000 to be in F (via setup menu)
Then started charging and recording data
All the T graphs are correct in combi5, values congruent to F (but indeed the label is still in C)
This label is possibly the intended one, and way DEX is intended, since it is user responsability to change the label
via device property editor I suppose
I never needed to change anything in the properties editor since I own the device
Ok I also see maybe why you cringe

In DEX, slot 1 to 4, have labels in F, as opposed to combi5, which stayed in Celcius

I need to reread all your post to understand if I understand now what is nagging you...

Since I use only Celcius I could not figure what sort of problem you had

One note of warning I use a rather old graphic template (created version DEX 3.2.8, running 3.3.1)

Ravel

Newly Enlightened
I downloaded the file earlier but found no hint of how can I accomplish what I want.
I do not know if this possible.
I read a long time ago the manual and a quick read today does not show this kind of option

Neither the config file DataExplorer/DataExplorer.properties

Wild goose chase ?

Last edited:

Albert_

Newly Enlightened

This link for the Dex User manual should work.

http://download-mirror.savannah.gnu.org/releases/dataexplorer/DataExplorer - Users Guide.pdf

The question was asked by another Dex user. I've not had time to thoroughly read through the Dex manual. The user stated the configuration of the output screens that he wanted could be accomplished only he did not know how.

I could not find any reference to a horizontal / landscape view or a vertical / portrait view. However the author of the manual may have chosen to word and explain this sort of configuration differently. This becomes a problem with some documentation as the authors often follow their own and sometimes different standards when writing user manuals that related directly to certain technologies and the type of programming the software performs.

Here's a link to a battery charger monitor application I've used in the past with other battery chargers.

Currently there's no support for SkyRc MC3000 charger. It does support many other chargers such as Bantum, Imax, etc.

Logview

http://www.logview.info/lvstudio_doku/index.html

Download: http://www.logview.info/forum/index.php?pages/eng/

Last edited:

Ravel

Newly Enlightened
Albert,

If you look at the manual and the config file mc3000.xml
(or via the menus9 you will find for combo5 the keyword
scale_sync_ref_ordinal

The graphs configuration are driving the digital display behaviour
(This is why I asked about graphs against time, not single value or the "digital board")

So in the osciloscope / graph view, how many T scales do you have ?
They can be merged because of scale_sync_ref_ordinal

Maybe you found a bug in the way they merge labels (or multiplicators if you played with them)

viperxp

Enlightened
I do not know if this possible.
I read a long time ago the manual and a quick read today does not show this kind of option

Neither the config file DataExplorer/DataExplorer.properties

Wild goose chase ?

Hey,
Well, it seems that the layout change was made with changing the program code (it's open sourse after all). The author does not want to disclose any details of how he done it and the final result.
Don't want to learn another programming language just to change some layout, but seems like I have no choice.
So no wild goose chase, it will be reasonable to efficiently use all sccreen real estate.

Albert_

Newly Enlightened
Albert,

If you look at the manual and the config file mc3000.xml
(or via the menus9 you will find for combo5 the keyword
scale_sync_ref_ordinal

The graphs configuration are driving the digital display behaviour
(This is why I asked about graphs against time, not single value or the "digital board")

So in the osciloscope / graph view, how many T scales do you have ?
They can be merged because of scale_sync_ref_ordinal

Maybe you found a bug in the way they merge labels (or multiplicators if you played with them)

My MC3000 is set to outupt temperature in "F" Fahrenheit

Temperatures scales from the Graphics tab from Slot 1 there are two a System and Battery temperature

System Temp. = ~72 deg. F
Battery Temp. = ~714 deg. F

Temperature scales from the Graphics display from Combi-5 (All active slots)

Battery Temps slots 1 -4 = ~73 - ~76 deg "C" Centrigrade
System Temp. = ~81.x deg "C" centigrade

I swapped out the NiMh batteries for a set of 4 Lithiums

Previously while charging NIMH, I was able to obtain some "F" Fahrenheit output and the rest was in "C" Centigrade even though the MC3000 was configured to "F" Fahrenheit

I'm currently trying to get Dex to output temperature units in "F" Fahrenheit.

The other problem with changing from portrait to landscape mode becomes a problem if you have all or many of the combi-5 measurement selections.

The the digital and analog tabs become more easily to read with fewer selections. (deselecting some of the measured units) So it's not really that much of a problem, only if you need to select most of the Combi measurements for a comparison.

Digital and analog output seems to work ok with up to around 8 selections. With more selections both outputs become difficult or impossible to read.

I've begun to read the ms3000.xml file but haven't ever programmed in either java or xml.

Apparently "scale_sync_ref_ordinal" is a property name. I'm uncertain how its being used to configure Dex measurement display output(s).

<property name="factor" value="0.1" type="Double" description="factor to measurement value"/>
<property name="scale_sync_ref_ordinal" value="12"

type="Integer"/>
</Measurement>
<Settlements/>
<ReferenceGroups/>
<TransitionGroups/>
<Transitions/>
<ScoreGroups/>
</Channel>
</Channels>
<Desktop>
<property name="table_tab" value="true"/>
<property name="digital_tab" value="true"/>
<property name="analog_tab" value="true"/>
<property name="voltage_per_cell_tab" value="false"/>
<property name="utility_garphics_tab" value="false" description="UTILITY_GRAPHICS_TAB"/>
<property name="utility_device_tab" value="false" description="UTILITY_DEVICE_TAB"/>
</Desktop>
</DeviceProperties>

Last edited:

Ravel

Newly Enlightened
I've begun to read the ms3000.xml file but haven't ever programmed in either java or xml.

Apparently "scale_sync_ref_ordinal" is a property name. I'm uncertain how its being used to configure Dex measurement display output(s).

This is changed via the menus (device properties editor)