SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Where to get the FW1.14B ?
Becouse I have LTO CELLs .
I have Beta 1.14. hasnt been released yet because has few other bugs as listed in de list. Hybernating sounds about correct. I'll wake up after Wimbledon 2018 :D

Feel free to contact skyrc and ask, they might give beta to you since you really have \need lto.

Congrats to owning lto. They are very hard to obtain.

You're back!!!?

I have Beta 1.14. hasnt been released yet because has few other bugs as listed in de list. Hybernating sounds about correct. I'll wake up after Wimbledon 2018 :D

Feel free to contact skyrc and ask, they might give beta to you since you really have \need lto.

Congrats to owning lto. They are very hard to obtain.

inetchik

Newly Enlightened

Hello, kreisl.
I have Beta 1.14.....
Thanks for replying to PM.

I wrote a question, with link for video, on skyrc support.
I got a response from them: " ..... on testing LTO firmware...."
Much water has flowed since that time and there is no changes (no progress). :(

Maybe you give me FW with bugs for testing too ? ;)
Or, I'll wait for the end of Wimbledon 2018. :)

LTO cells to buy easily: aliexpress (https://ru.aliexpress.com/af/%25D1%2582%25D0%25B8%25D1%2582%25D0%25B0%25D0%25BD%25D0%25B0%25D1%2582%25D0%25B0-lto.html?SearchText=титаната+lto&blanktest=0&initiative_id=RS_20180507045220&origin=n&jump=afs), or ebay, or .... . I bought on taobao.

BR,

Last edited:

cadric

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I'm new to charging 18650 and I wanted to start the right way.
I began in March to learn how to handle 18650.
After I read all the positive things about the MC3000 I bought one in the same Month and a second one last week.
As the original Software is not that perfect and in most discussions Data Explorer is recommended I would like to try that Software.
But unfortunately I don't find my right way into this program, except for the handbook. But I didn't find anything that explaines the handling like installing or how it is possible to start the charging process with DEX.

So can someone give me a hint how to use DEX with:
1. More then one Instance on a PC for at least two MC3000 connected, additionally an Imax B6 mini....
or
2a. how to install it on a raspberry
2b. how to use it there for at least two chargers ( so again 2 instances )
Else I'm really lost with this software.

Thanks in advance

cadric

joegmeyers

Newly Enlightened
Is there a SKYRC MC3000 thread or link to vetted programs for various batteries types/capacities?

Albert_

Newly Enlightened
Re: Problems with MC3000 turning on

Hello,

I haven't used the MC3000 for a several weeks.

I have stored in a safe place and today pulled it out, connected the Skyrc PSU to the MC3000's 12V jack and then plugged in the PSU using it's AC cord.

The MC3000 momentarily turns on then turns off. I've tried several times disconnecting and plugging in the ac cord and MC3000 keeps momentarily turning ON then OFF.

When I try plugging in the 12 DC jack from the rear of the MC3000 nothing happens. The MC3000 only turns on momentarily while the AC/DC power adapter is plugged into the DC jack and then AC cord is then plugged into the ac/dc adapter.

I checked the PSU for dc output voltage and it measures ~15.2 VDC, AC input is ~115 VAC.

I've also tried jiggling the cords to determine perhaps there is a break in one of the cords with no results.

I'm thinking there's either a problem with the MC3000 or it's SkyRC AC/DC PSU.

The SkyRC PSU-60W measures a steady ~15.2 DC volts output, I'm not certain of it's current. The PSU-60W is rated as 15V === 4A. MC3000's DC input shows 11-18 V.

When purchasing the MC3000 I also purchase a Square Trade Warranty for MC3000 which is good for three years after the purchase date of 2/28/2016.

I'm wondering what else to check and test before creating a claim with Square Trade?

Possibly there's something wrong with PSU-60W power supply? Putting out too little current?

I haven't yet tried testing the MC3000 using a volt dc jack connected to a 12 volt power source.

Last edited:

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

If you dont have another psu you can try connecting it to a PC PSU on the 12v line, to make sure if its the power supply fault.
Hello,

I haven't used the MC3000 for a several weeks.

I have stored in a safe place and today pulled it out, connected the Skyrc PSU to the MC3000's 12V jack and then plugged in the PSU using it's AC cord.

The MC3000 momentarily turns on then turns off. I've tried several times disconnecting and plugging in the ac cord and MC3000 keeps momentarily turning ON then OFF.

When I try plugging in the 12 DC jack from the rear of the MC3000 nothing happens. The MC3000 only turns on momentarily while the AC/DC power adapter is plugged into the DC jack and then AC cord is then plugged into the ac/dc adapter.

I checked the PSU for dc output voltage and it measures ~15.2 VDC, AC input is ~115 VAC.

I've also tried jiggling the cords to determine perhaps there is a break in one of the cords with no results.

I'm thinking there's either a problem with the MC3000 or it's SkyRC AC/DC PSU.

The SkyRC PSU-60W measures a steady ~15.2 DC volts output, I'm not certain of it's current. The PSU-60W is rated as 15V === 4A. MC3000's DC input shows 11-18 V.

When purchasing the MC3000 I also purchase a Square Trade Warranty for MC3000 which is good for three years after the purchase date of 2/28/2016.

I'm wondering what else to check and test before creating a claim with Square Trade?

Possibly there's something wrong with PSU-60W power supply? Putting out too little current?

I have some spare lead acid batteries such as a Group 31 AGM and some open cell RV/Boat batteries and haven't yet tried testing using my own diy 12 volt dc jack.

Albert_

Newly Enlightened

If you dont have another psu you can try connecting it to a PC PSU on the 12v line, to make sure if its the power supply fault.

All I have are 12 volt lead acid batteries and a few DC plugs of which one should be the correct size.

If it fails to power on while connected to a 12 volt car or RV/Boat battery I was planning on filing a claim.

I seem to remember reading about the SkyRC psu's failing. Initially I was going to try and find a better quality PSU, but never go around to it.

Albert_

Newly Enlightened

I found a cig lighter adapter with difference size DC power jacks, one of which is the correct size for the MC3000.

Plugged the adapter into the a car's cig. lighter and started the car to obtain approx. ~13.8 volts from the battery and alternator.

Plugged in the DC jack to the MC3000 and nothing, then re-plugged in the cig lighter adapter with the dc jack plugged in, and got the same behavior as when using the SkyRC PSU-60W power supply. (power on then off).

So apparently the problem is with the MC3000?

I can't think of any other testing to perform. The M3000 was working just fine the last time I charged a set of batteries a while back.

I went ahead and filed a claim online as it's still covered by a Square Trade Warranty. The warrany was oked and wants me to give it to a electronic repair shop for repair.

Last edited:

ArmaBene

Newly Enlightened

I just found German 1.14 manual on SkyRC site. Maybe they're going to release FW 1.14...

Albert_

Newly Enlightened

Well SquareTrade to agreed to re-reimburse me $99.99 if I send the non-working charger to them.

At first they wanted me to have the MC3000 repaired where I would upload the repaired bill to be reimbursed. However after some research of calling and e-mailing repair shops the minimum repair amount is ~$100.00. I'm told by the some repair shops that they have no schematics, parts list and/or service manual which would increase labor charges.

All have an one hour min. and labor rates of approx. ~$100.00 - ~$125.00 per hour.

I told this to Squaretrade and they responded to provide a repair quote, but none of the shops wanted to provide an official repair quote estimate.

After telling this to Squaretrade they agreed to re-reimburse me for $99.99 where I will ship the non working charger back to them where they provide a free FedEx shipping label.

Anyway my 3 year warranty covers $99.99 which I'll be re-reimbursed.

I'm going for the MC3000 sold by ProgressiveRC on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BLTZ9UE/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Amazon has two different optional 4 year warranties $100-$124.99 for ~$8.50

One from SquareTrade https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BLTZ9UE/?tag=cpf0b6-20

And the other from ASURION https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M65R0ED/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Haven't decided which one to go with. SquareTrade did honor the previous 3 year warranty. However at first they wanted a repair quote which none of the shops contacted would provide. Shops were a ways away from 30 to over 125 miles so I only called them and none that I contacted wanted to provide an official quote on paper to repair the charger.

Last edited:

ArmaBene

Newly Enlightened

FW 1.14 just released :)

tjh

Enlightened

FW 1.14 just released :)
Thanks for letting us know!

I just upgraded with no issues.

(Note: The way I upgrade is to pull the power and USB out, then plug the power back in with the enter button pressed. This boots it up to a blank screen, it's in firmware update mode already. Then plug the USB in and run the upgrade. It seems to work well this way, no chance of it failing)

John Bentley

Newly Enlightened

I successfully updated to FW 1.14 too. My procedure was to unzip MC3000_Firmware_Update_V1.14.rar and follow the readme.txt.

In essence if you try to follow the upgrade procedure in the original (FW V1.13) manual then MC3000 Monitor V1.03 will return "Can't get firmware from internet" when you [Checking (sic) for new version]. There will be no opportunity, therefore, to update from there as the [Update] button remains disabled. Moreover I'm not sure how TJH's procedure gets around that problem.

Anyway the essential tip from the readme.txt is

> 1. Read the above full QUOTE and follow all instructions, even though the PC Link software does not find the firmware on the update server.
>
> 2. Now close the PC Link software. We don't need it anymore. We only needed it to test the reliability and stability of your USB communication ...
>
> 3. Finally launch the provided *.EXE [UpgradeFrimware_MC3000_V1.14.exe], and click on the 'Update' button. ....

This resulted in a factory reset. So you'll have to reprogram your settings.

The key improvement in the firmware that I've so far noticed is that "Global Setup View" now contains 8 key combo shortcuts (Up+ SNB#N; and Down + SNB#N).

tjh

Enlightened

Moreover I'm not sure how TJH's procedure gets around that problem.
With previous firmwares, lots of people have tried to update and then encountered an error halfway through the upload of the firmware to the charger. Then they post here "My charger is broken and ruined and a brick" when it's not. Booting the charger with the enter button pressed forces the charger into "I am going to accept a new firmware" mode. This is just the safe way I do firmware upgrades, because previous I'd encountered the error too, but booting the charger this way before flashing I have never had a problem.

My method had nothing to do with loading firmware from the MC3000 app, which has never worked (I think maybe they tried to make it work with the very first upgrade but it didn't) - you've always had to extract the firmware.exe from a zip file and execute it, nothing I said indicated otherwise :)

Wrongway

Newly Enlightened

I still have 1.13 firmware. I don't have any LTO cells so is it worth me upgrading to 1.14? As I can't find a changes list I don't know if anything else was added/changed/repaired.