SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

mrQQ

Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

guys, how can I try to revive deeply discharged li-ion with this? it says check voltage and does nothing :(

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

guys, how can I try to revive deeply discharged li-ion with this? it says check voltage and does nothing :(
You need to hold the corresponding slot button pressed, until voltage gets high enough for the chemistry of the battery to be recognized.
Not 100% sure, but I suppose it would be around 2.5v or something similar for li-ion.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast

This question, i believe, needs a simple answer. Most of you are experts in this topic but some users are just begginers.

mrQQ

Enlightened

You need to hold the corresponding slot button pressed, until voltage gets high enough for the chemistry of the battery to be recognized.
Not 100% sure, but I suppose it would be around 2.5v or something similar for li-ion.

I've tried that, but it also results in "Check Voltage" message...

klrman

Newly Enlightened

Not clear what you mean. Are you saying that IR testing does not work on your unit?

I don't read Russian. Perhaps you could summarize for us.

Just jumping into this thread, but on top of slot #1 failing on my mc3000, it can't properly read IR anymore on any of the slots. It's gone completely haywire with readings all over the place. Purchased it in feb of this year.

HKJ

Flashaholic

Just jumping into this thread, but on top of slot #1 failing on my mc3000, it can't properly read IR anymore on any of the slots. It's gone completely haywire with readings all over the place. Purchased it in feb of this year.

Probably connection problems, you can try cleaning the connections on the charger, but the problem may be the internal rail connection (It is slightly more difficult to clean).

klrman

Newly Enlightened

Probably connection problems, you can try cleaning the connections on the charger, but the problem may be the internal rail connection (It is slightly more difficult to clean).

I've cleaned all the exterior connections but it didn't help. Would cleaning the internal rail connections possibly fix the problem with bay #1 failing to charge?

HKJ

Flashaholic

I've cleaned all the exterior connections but it didn't help. Would cleaning the internal rail connections possibly fix the problem with bay #1 failing to charge?

The answer is maybe, if the problem is due to bad connections it will, but if the reason is a damaged chip it will not (A reason for a damage chip may be a battery put in backward).
Sorry, but I cannot give a definitive answer.

klrman

Newly Enlightened

The answer is maybe, if the problem is due to bad connections it will, but if the reason is a damaged chip it will not (A reason for a damage chip may be a battery put in backward).

I've never put a battery in backwards. If GB doesn't do anything, I will pull it apart and do some cleaning. I had three mc3000's but sold two to my friends. Should have kept at least one for backup.

klrman

Newly Enlightened

Gearbest has suggested to me to send it to their repair center in the US and pay for shipping to get it there. I live in Canada. Has anyone had good luck sending it to their repair center? I'm sort of reluctant to do that as they said if they can't repair it, they would send me a refurbished one. My experience with anything refurbished is "yeah bob, it works........next".

Well, I had nothing to lose so I pulled mine apart and found that the soldering around the + terminal on the board of bay #1 was cracked and lifting on the edges. I've seen cracking like this before on my honda cars on the drl control unit board and needed to resolder them to get the drl's working again but, no such luck with the mc3000 as resoldering didn't change anything.

44607737644_15c9be379e.jpg

For anyone disassembling there mc3000, the wires that run to the battery temp sensor can sneak up on you
when putting it all back together like they did to me in the pic below. There is a plastic slot for each temp sensor
wire where you need to route these to. It's not obvious at first upon disassembly but when you reassemble, as you
can see in the pic, it's easy to have them snag.

31456584048_2480aea260.jpg

Last edited:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

Heads up mc3Kers. Spare top housings are now being sold on eBay (USA) for $3.99 with free shipping. Get 'em while they last (from China).

Btw, if you're in USA and you need anything else from China then be aware that Trump is killing ePacket, so it will likely no longer be possible to get dirt cheap shipping from China. So now is the time to stock up before the window closes. So long to cheap imported hobby parts. It was sure nice while it lasted.

hc900

Newly Enlightened

Heads up mc3Kers. Spare top housings are now being sold on eBay (USA) for $3.99 with free shipping. Get 'em while they last (from China).
Really a decent price, when I bought it it was about $ 20 from GearBest.
Thanks for the information :thumbsup:

There are at least 4 that sell it on eBay at an almost equal price, maybe they ship from HK?

an654

Newly Enlightened
So I purchased a MC3000 and have been happy with it, but its not without its problems. One area that seems to need improvement is Bluetooth. So when I received it, the Bluetooth LED was off, but Bluetooth was on. So I downloaded the iPhone app. and it worked. The blue LED turned on and the charger communicated. But now I want to use it with a different phone. I turned Bluetooth off and back on with the charger, turned off my original phone, but the blue LED stays on and I can't connect any other phone to the charger. Do I have to do completely reset the charger to reset this?

an654

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if anyone is still here anymore, but one other question. I have noticed that if you place mostly dead NiMh cells in the MC3000, it says "No Battery" so you basically can't charge the cell. We all know that NiMh cells can be almost completely dead, and still charge fine. I have 5 other NiMh chargers, and none have this problem. If there a workaround? The only one I found was use another charger to get them up to maybe 1 V then move the batteries to the MC3000. Yes that works, but its pretty bad that you have to use a $20 charger on your batteries for the $100 charger to work. I know that tapping the "SNB" buttons will unlock LiIon protection, but it doesn't seem to do anything for NiMh. Its hard to believe SkyRc hasn't fixed this. I'm running V1.14