SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Mp0w3r

Newly Enlightened
Re: Disc. Cut-Off current(A) vs Discharge Cut Current

Why makes you think it's discontinued?

It still shows up on their company web site. I just checked 3 US vendors and they all show stock. I have firsthand experience with all three of these vendors and they all ship next day. There is one very popular European vendor that shows availability in 3 days. Seems to me if you want one you can buy one and probably have it buy the end of the week depending on where you live.

A few weeks from now or even sooner this info might be stale but today this is what I saw.

Frank

Gearbest and Hobbyking have it as discontinued

nqhzdkdf

Newly Enlightened
"made up" and "damaged" is not true. The cells are working completely fine. They also charged up with the old and now broken (water got inside) cheap charger without any issues. It was some cheap 10$ charger and that worked perfectly fine.
I have never ever seen anyones "blown up face" because he charged just his really empty batteries. This is not some tesla hundreds of volts 18650-circuit. This is a 3,7Volt battery.
Have you ever tried to "blow up" a really (measured capacity 50mAh instead of 2500) worn down 18650 cell? Try it. Its not that easy and its really boring. Its just getting warm and nothing else. Flat cells are much more easy to blow up.

How can this MC3000 charger now be used to charge up rellay empty 18650 cells? I still cant believe that cells that are empty cant be charged up with this charger.

The manufacturer told me after i asked him if the warranty should be used to fix the issue that really empty li-ion cells cant be charged and there was no warning anywhere on the MC-3000-package that i should use the wrong chemistry to charge up a bit. After many weeks of trying around i find out a quite working solution.

Howto charge li-ion cells with SkyRC MC3000 (Firmware Version 1.15) that are below 1.81Volt(this is the voltage that the MC3000 in even advanced mode simply don't allow you to charge the li-ion cells):
Program to be set up:
Batt type: NiZn
Mode: Charge
Capacity: Off
C.Current: 0.10A (the safe charging current for li-ion decided by skyrc for batteries below 3V is 0.15. I dropped this value to 0.10A for this mode, because the batteries goes up fast to the TARGET VOLT and should also stay there.
[unimportant settings ...]
TARGET VOLT: 1.95V (this is important to set, its the max possible value in the NiZn-mode)
TERMINATION: Zero (or 0.01A if you want to have a beeping sound and a stop) - this is important to set
RESTART VOLT: 1.88V (optional but does not hurt if you have setup 0.01A Termination)

When used it looks like this:
Take the li-Ion battery and put it into the MC3000. If the voltage is below 1.81V, choose this NiZn-Mode you have set up and for practicality i leave TERMINATION: Zero. Then remember that after few minutes(but it can also be few hours, does not matter with TERMINATION: Zero) you have to switch the modes. The MC3000 is holding the cell-voltage at 1.95V from whatever lower voltage it was before. Then stop the NiZn-Mode and switch immediately to your normal li-ion charging mode and start to charge up from the charged up 1.95V to whatever is been set in your li-ion charging mode.

I still ask SkyRC to add the option to remove this user-blocking-feature for li-ion below 1.81V. Yes, i can understand that there could be a user that drops a nimh-cell into the charger and forget to switch the mode from li-ion to nimh, the nimh-cell would then get burning hot, could leak and so on. But the charger is in advanced mode. Not in dummy mode. Please leave the advanced users do their own thing and run their own risks. Yes, there should be also a option-switch in the settings to enable/disable this 1.81V-blocking thing so that advanced mode users can decide if they want this blocking to be there or not. But please leave the freedom to the people to decide on their own if they want something blocked or not.

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
I tried updating the firmware on my MC3000 and the process was taking so long, I screwed up and pulled the USB cable during the process. Now the unit is not recognized by my computer and I can't start the update process. So I think I bricked the unit. Where can I send the unit to be repaired? Thanks in advance.

fmc1

Enlightened
I tried updating the firmware on my MC3000 and the process was taking so long, I screwed up and pulled the USB cable during the process. Now the unit is not recognized by my computer and I can't start the update process. So I think I bricked the unit. Where can I send the unit to be repaired? Thanks in advance.

Take a look at post #3464

Frank

Would it not be a lot easier to just use a (dumb) charger to charge the battery up to (say) 2.00V so that the MC3000 will 'recognize' it?

The manufacturer told me after i asked him if the warranty should be used to fix the issue that really empty li-ion cells cant be charged and there was no warning anywhere on the MC-3000-package that i should use the wrong chemistry to charge up a bit. After many weeks of trying around i find out a quite working solution.

Howto charge li-ion cells with SkyRC MC3000 (Firmware Version 1.15) that are below 1.81Volt(this is the voltage that the MC3000 in even advanced mode simply don't allow you to charge the li-ion cells):
Program to be set up:
C.Current: 0.10A (the safe charging current for li-ion decided by skyrc for batteries below 3V is 0.15. I dropped this value to 0.10A for this mode, because the batteries goes up fast to the TARGET VOLT and should also stay there.
TARGET VOLT: 1.95V (this is important to set, its the max possible value in the NiZn-mode)
TERMINATION: Zero (or 0.01A if you want to have a beeping sound and a stop) - this is important to set
RESTART VOLT: 1.88V (optional but does not hurt if you have setup 0.01A Termination)

Take the li-Ion battery and put it into the MC3000. If the voltage is below 1.81V, choose this NiZn-Mode you have set up and for practicality i leave TERMINATION: Zero. Then remember that after few minutes(but it can also be few hours, does not matter with TERMINATION: Zero) you have to switch the modes. The MC3000 is holding the cell-voltage at 1.95V from whatever lower voltage it was before. Then stop the NiZn-Mode and switch immediately to your normal li-ion charging mode and start to charge up from the charged up 1.95V to whatever is been set in your li-ion charging mode.

I still ask SkyRC to add the option to remove this user-blocking-feature for li-ion below 1.81V. Yes, i can understand that there could be a user that drops a nimh-cell into the charger and forget to switch the mode from li-ion to nimh, the nimh-cell would then get burning hot, could leak and so on. But the charger is in advanced mode. Not in dummy mode. Please leave the advanced users do their own thing and run their own risks. Yes, there should be also a option-switch in the settings to enable/disable this 1.81V-blocking thing so that advanced mode users can decide if they want this blocking to be there or not. But please leave the freedom to the people to decide on their own if they want something blocked or not.

nqhzdkdf

Newly Enlightened
7histology, there have not been payed over 100$ for the advertised in the internet/forum "best" li-ion charger that exists and then not being able to charge really empty cells and have to buy an second one. I wrote that the broken charger was a 10$ one. If a new 10$ charger would been bought, then there wont be a need for a second charger. There was no warning on the mc3000-package like for example "warning, you need to buy an additional charger to charge up really empty cells". Or a warning like "MC3000 - the charger that does not work with some cells advertised on the package as supported".

skid00skid00

Newly Enlightened
7histology, there have not been payed over 100$ for the advertised in the internet/forum "best" li-ion charger that exists and then not being able to charge really empty cells and have to buy an second one. I wrote that the broken charger was a 10$ one. If a new 10$ charger would been bought, then there wont be a need for a second charger. There was no warning on the mc3000-package like for example "warning, you need to buy an additional charger to charge up really empty cells". Or a warning like "MC3000 - the charger that does not work with some cells advertised on the package as supported".

Stop writing this nonsense! Do you work for a competitor?

To those readers out there who are new to LiIon chemistry, charging cells that have been depleted this far is DANGEROUS. Don't do it. And don't be infected with stupid nonsense. Just don't.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stop writing this nonsense! Do you work for a competitor?

To those readers out there who are new to LiIon chemistry, charging cells that have been depleted this far is DANGEROUS. Don't do it. And don't be infected with stupid nonsense. Just don't.

It depends on the cell. For example, the spec sheet for the Samsung 30Q states that they can be recharged from as low as 1.0v. It just has to be done slowly until they reach 3.0v, then charge normally. It's probably safer to do a slow charge from the MC3000, than an unknown charge rate on a cheap charger.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend charging from that low, but in theory I suppose it's possible.

Anyway, it's not inherently dangerous, as long as you follow the manufacturer's guidelines. Well, I suppose anything to do with lithium-ion is somewhat dangerous, since they are not intended to be used outside of sealed devices with BMS. From that perspective, the manufacturer says don't use them in flashlights at all, or charge them with any external charger, or even buy them.

Whatever you do, just be smart about it.

skid00skid00

Newly Enlightened
It depends on the cell. For example, the spec sheet for the Samsung 30Q states that they can be recharged from as low as 1.0v. It just has to be done slowly until they reach 3.0v, then charge normally. It's probably safer to do a slow charge from the MC3000, than an unknown charge rate on a cheap charger.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend charging from that low, but in theory I suppose it's possible.

Anyway, it's not inherently dangerous, as long as you follow the manufacturer's guidelines. Well, I suppose anything to do with lithium-ion is somewhat dangerous, since they are not intended to be used outside of sealed devices with BMS. From that perspective, the manufacturer says don't use them in flashlights at all, or charge them with any external charger, or even buy them.

Whatever you do, just be smart about it.

Good information, thanks for the clarification.

tjh

Enlightened
My MC3000 (bless its soul, it was one of the first, has the fan mod etc) has started making a "clicking" noise, like it's sparking somewhere, when it's getting towards the end of charging 4 AA Eneloops.
It'll be fine, but when the voltage on the 4 batteries starts getting up to 1.55 1.56 it'll start going "click" (wait 3-4 seconds) "click" etc.
Soon as one of the batteries finishes, the clicking stops.

Anyone have any suggestions? Time to buy a new one?

fmc1

Enlightened
My MC3000 (bless its soul, it was one of the first, has the fan mod etc) has started making a "clicking" noise, like it's sparking somewhere, when it's getting towards the end of charging 4 AA Eneloops.
It'll be fine, but when the voltage on the 4 batteries starts getting up to 1.55 1.56 it'll start going "click" (wait 3-4 seconds) "click" etc.
Soon as one of the batteries finishes, the clicking stops.

Anyone have any suggestions? Time to buy a new one?

Sorry if I ask the obvious questions first. Does the clicking problem follow a one particular slot, meaning when slot 1 finishes the clicking goes away but when slot 4 finishes it still clicks? The click for sure is coming from the charger and not the power supply? Have you tried charging 4 lithium ions, same thing with a greater power load? Of course you can open it up and look for anything obvious visually.

My generation 1 MC3000 is still hanging in there after breaking a spring post and swapping the case. I gave it to my son so it's on very lite duty now. My second charger, generation 2 post 6/2016 build died about a year ago and ironically my third charger also a generation 2 is still fine and has a numerically lower serial number than the first gen 2. My first early generation 3 with raised positive contacts and 2 fans that came with firmware v1.13 has a dead micro USB port but everything else is fine. My other early generation 3 is also fine. I use these things a lot almost daily, if or when I find something better I'll buy it but for now I think it's the best out there.

If it's a tool that you rely on having a spare is just a smart choice IMHO. I have seen times where I could not find a vendor anywhere in the world that had stock but right now that is not the case so I think this is a good time to buy a new one based on availability. I know it is frowned upon to mention vendors on this board but Nkon, 18650 battery store, Progressive RC and RC Juice all show stock. I have had only positive experiences with all 4 of them.

Frank

arturnet

Newly Enlightened

Hi,

"Clicking" noise comes from a battery, not device. It is a gas coming out through safety valve.
Had this on brand newly bought MC3000 and when charging not used for several years Ni-Mh AAA. I have spotted "clicking" battery and put it to another charger. Was still "clicking" in it.

:wave:

MarioJP

Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Hey all

Is anyone having issue with the app? It failed to connect to charger. I think the bluetooth on the charger froze as the blue led won't turn off.

Slayer1

Newly Enlightened

Program to be set up:

This is cool. Was trying to figure out why my Aspire 1100mah Li-ion batteries was showing as NIMH when the volt is low at 1.56/1.60.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Li-ion is many chems. I think LFE can do this, IMR, perhaps INR... depends how long the cell was below 2.5V with latter 2, I believe... and do it with extreme caution regardless. But doing this with unprotected ICR is asking for serious trouble, injury, and a burned out pit where your home used to be. Pretty irresponsible to vaguely use the ambiguous "Li-ion," and post as some solution. If your unprotected ICR drop below 2.5V, do not attempt recharging. Recycle bin them.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Li-ion is many chems. I think LFE can do this, IMR, perhaps INR... depends how long the cell was below 2.5V with latter 2, I believe... and do it with extreme caution regardless. But doing this with unprotected ICR is asking for serious trouble, injury, and a burned out pit where your home used to be. Pretty irresponsible to vaguely use the ambiguous "Li-ion," and post as some solution. If your unprotected ICR drop below 2.5V, do not attempt recharging. Recycle bin them.

Again, that depends on the cell. For example, the spec sheet for Samsung 30Q, states the "do not charge" threshold as 1.0v. Granted, it's giving specs assuming they're used in a BMS. But if you want to be totally safe, do not use lithium-ion cells at all; they're not designed or sold for use outside of a BMS.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually came to ask a question about SkyRC MC3000, and got sidetracked with finger wagging.

Can one set up a charging profile such that it sits doing nothing for a set period, then charges for certain voltages of, say, an NiMH, it applies a different charge voltage during the charge cycle.

e.g. Does MC3000 allow me to create a charge profile that charges the NiMH I want in there for this profile at 0mA for an hour, then idk let's say 150mA until the cell voltage reads 1.40V, then charge at 375mA until the cell voltage reads 1.49V, then charge at 1A until termination?

Because I kind of want to do something like that for different chems, to baby a cell, then as voltage gets closer to expected termination voltage, pump the charge voltage a couple times until I know the charge will terminate properly.

And I expect I am the only one.

Dascombe

Newly Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Hey all

Is anyone having issue with the app? It failed to connect to charger. I think the bluetooth on the charger froze as the blue led won't turn off.

Yes, happens all the time. The app is extremely buggy.

Last edited: