SL 20X led upgrade

eze284

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone heard about or used the TerraLUX TLE-110S upgrade for the Streamlight SL20X. I was looking into getting the Pelican 8060, but if this upgrade would work for a duty light it's cheaper than buying a whole new light. The 8060 has a longer runtime though.
Any and all thoughts appreciated.
-thanks

eze284

Newly Enlightened
And I'm sure everyone here is aware, but I'm refering to the new 600 lumen upgrade. Thanks :naughty:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 110s just arrived. My 20x is in my work locker, but I had had an older 20XP (plastic version of the 20X) laying around. And...I can't get the module to fit...

It is bright. Very floody like most MCE based lights. Mine has a tiny black hole in the center, but it isn't a concern.

I don't think there's an internal difference between the XP and X, but won't make any conclusions about fit until I try it in the appropriate light.

Even if it did fit, I would NOT recommend it in a 20XP, as the module gets HOT after a few minutes of runtime.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Interesting thread! I have an SL-20X that I've used for duty for the last 11 years but the battery took a dump on me and much smaller and brighter lights have kind of left it in the dust. The Terralux option looks very promising! I'm debating between the single mode (600 lumens) or the multi-mode!?! I would say I'm leaning towards the single mode because when I turn it on I typically just want it blazing!!! If I wanted less lumens I would use something off of my duty belt.

Not to hijack this thread but any battery recommendations for the SL-20X besides the old Streamlight nickel cadiums!?!

Policetacteam

Enlightened
dano,

It has been a long time since I have seen any discussion about the SL-20X or XP but I thought I remembered some threads a few years back and there was a difference between the X and the XP because there were a few guys who used to do mods on the SL-20X and they would always tell you that it would NOT fit in the XP. Again...I'm just going from memory so I may be wrong!

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
dano,

It has been a long time since I have seen any discussion about the SL-20X or XP but I thought I remembered some threads a few years back and there was a difference between the X and the XP because there were a few guys who used to do mods on the SL-20X and they would always tell you that it would NOT fit in the XP. Again...I'm just going from memory so I may be wrong!

Probably. I'm guessing there's some tolerance issues between the two models.

For a battery upgrade, Maglite now sells a NIMH stick for the Magcharger, which will also fit the 20X. I believe it's rated at 3500MAH (vs. the stock 20X's 2500 NICD stick).

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Dano will the SL20X charger be OK on the Maglite MagCharger NIMH 3500 mah Battery Stick. Thanks.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XP is not a good choice for LED upgrades. You really need the aluminum body versions for LED upgrades.

It is not ready yet, but I am working on an SL-20x LED drop in as well. I don't know about the Terralux version, but the setup I am working on will accept either the standard 5 x 1/2 D cell pack, 3S of the 26650s, or 9xAA to 3D adapters. Obviously, the standard charger won't charge those other packs.

The SL-20x-led version has an extended tailcap. It might be possible to modify that cap to fit on the SL-20x and use a 5X Sub C NiCd or NiMH pack and sleeve it up to D size diameter. I assume that even with the higher capacity, the standard charger would work.

The MC-E is a nice LED, but it is hard to get any reasonable throw from that LED package, which is consistent with Dano's experience. I tried that LED with some various reflectors and optics and just could not achieve the desired throw.

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dano will the SL20X charger be OK on the Maglite MagCharger NIMH 3500 mah Battery Stick. Thanks.

Yup, works fine, but your charge time will increase.

Batteryjunction sells a good charger that will charge the 20x/Magcharger sticks (out of the light). Although not a super fast charger, it's quicker than the stock Streamlight trickle charger.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Will the Streamlight SL-20X Dimmer work with the TerraLUX TLE-110S? Thanks in advance.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the Streamlight SL-20X Dimmer work with the TerraLUX TLE-110S? Thanks in advance.

Unknown, though the voltage drop may be an issue with the LED?. I have a dimmer on mine, but light isn't available (it's at work, I'm not).

I will report back....

Policetacteam

Enlightened
For those of you using the TerrLUX TLE-110S what are you thoughts, likes, dislikes. before I throw down $40 I want to know if it's worth the coin.

houtex

Enlightened
I got the NEW TLE-110S from Lighthound yesterday. I used it last night and early this morning. Wow!!!!

It makes carry a light this BIG worth while. The unit seem solid. I'm a little concerned about heat sinking so we'll see how that goes. I think I'll get a better lens to replace the stock ,cheap plastic one. It may be too soon to say but I'm happy.

One more thing,the tint is slighty warm,which I'm totally okay with.

tommydonovan

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

Just so everyone knows and there is no confusion. The SL20X and SL20X-LED versions of this light are different. The Terralux conversions built for the SL20X will work for the SL20X-LED as well. The battery packs, however, are different between the two. My LED model has a long thin pack with both pos and neg on one end. The others use a shorter fatter one. The reason I know this is because I just ordered the battery that was suggested above, the 3500MaH one from battery junction. Needless to say, for some of you that know a little more about flashlights than me, it fits, but does not work due to the arrangement of the pos and neg. I did, however, get it to fit and work with a little soldering. Post if you'd like help ordering one and getting it to work. The battery really made my light brighter! My old battery was only putting out 5.2V fully charged. The new one is at 6.3.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,

Just so everyone knows and there is no confusion. The SL20X and SL20X-LED versions of this light are different. The Terralux conversions built for the SL20X will work for the SL20X-LED as well. My old battery was only putting out 5.2V fully charged. The new one is at 6.3.

Hi, it sounds like that old pack was pretty much dead.

I was curious - does the terralux conversion still allow the secondary beams (the -led part) to work, or is that portion lost?

Thanks