Small Solar iPhone chargers

Bufordtwo

Newly Enlightened
anyone have any good luck with those solar chargers that are about the size of an iPhone?
wifey wants one, but i know she's never going to use it; pricepoint $20-40.00
the ones i've seen online are around 2000-3000mAh; are these even worth anything?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I say skip them and invest in a quality power bank using the same money. You likely can get a 20,000 or so power bank that supports fast charging both on the input and output. These days unless you want a pocket sized power bank 3000mah is a joke you can buy a 2000mah power bank for $5 at Walmart.
Solar cells for backup is only good if you have sun, and likely if you don't have any power chances are the sun isn't out while the storm that caused it isn't over with yet and at night they are useless. I think most people into solar power invest in a separate panel setup instead of built in solar stuff.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
those things are a gimmick.
in that physical size you MIGHT get 200 ma IF the sky is clear and you set it at optimum angle.
most are not weatherproof and worse yet if you leave it where it charges best it may get too hot for the battery so it will have a short life.
you will have to leave it out for several good sunny days to charge it fully.
and an unexpected rain may kill it.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider installing a small solar system at home and being able to power numerous items from sunshine. That is a less fussy way of doing it without the issues mentioned by snakebite and Lynx_Arc.