• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SMJLED PR Bulbs In Stock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monolith

Enlightened
:wow: These things are great!

Try them in the Rayovac Valuebright 2AA flashlights with the smooth reflector. 84 cents at Wal-Mart.

Haz

Enlightened
Are you getting more light output, or simply whiter light. Does the bulb heat up enough to melt plastic?

Monolith said:
:wow: These things are great!

Try them in the Rayovac Valuebright 2AA flashlights with the smooth reflector. 84 cents at Wal-Mart.

Monolith

Enlightened
Haz said:
Are you getting more light output, or simply whiter light. Does the bulb heat up enough to melt plastic?
More light, whiter. I haven't run it for any duration tests, so I don't have any info yet on heat. They're just fun to play with.

Haz

Enlightened
Monolith said:
More light, whiter. I haven't run it for any duration tests, so I don't have any info yet on heat. They're just fun to play with.

Sounds excellent, now, i'm waiting for possible 3 cell versions, so i can buy a few to try.

Monolith

Enlightened
Haz said:
Sounds excellent, now, i'm waiting for possible 3 cell versions, so i can buy a few to try.
I bought some of the bigger D cell industrial (yellow) faceted reflector Rayovacs with the battery level indicators to use as car emergency lights. The hotspot is much smaller with these lights than with the Valuebright 2AA light. The runtime on D cells is very long (something like 5 days!). In my mind, that's what these bulbs are best at - long runtime emergency lighting.

And, if the 84 cent light works out well after some use, it makes a fairly inexpensive light to store with BOBs or to give to the kids to go play with (or to your "all thumbs" friends to borrow...).

EDIT:

Just to clarify:

Rayovac Value Bright 2AA "Bright Pre-Focused Beam" "Non-Roll Feature" EVB2AA-B (I assume B is for black, they come in red also).

Rayovac Industrial 2D "Battery Life Indicator" I2D-BLI

Last edited:

Monolith

Enlightened
Anyone tried putting these in the small keychain lights yet? Will they fit? Seems like it will work by removing one of the batteries (I believe they take two 3 volt coin batteries). I'm just wondering what the beam spread would be like.

Yooper

Enlightened
Monolith said:
Anyone tried putting these in the small keychain lights yet? Will they fit? Seems like it will work by removing one of the batteries (I believe they take two 3 volt coin batteries). I'm just wondering what the beam spread would be like.

You'd want a bare SMJLED for that. These are PR based. Lamda sells them bare - check the website: http://home.mchsi.com/~lambda_lights/smjled.htm

About the beam - the SMJLED is similar to a Luxeon emitter - it's a flood, not a beam.

Monolith

Enlightened
Yooper said:
You'd want a bare SMJLED for that.
Right, I just got carried away posting about the PR and wondered about the bare LED.

I really like the Rayovac Value Bright 2AA. I tried a focusable Husky tonight from Home Depot and found the hot spot too small for anything useful. The Rayovac has a nice sized hotspot that makes it much better for short to medium distance viewing.

Last edited:

vortechs

Enlightened
Monolith said:

I am also curious if the (bare) SMJLED would work in a photon clone keychain light. Would the 6V from the 2x2016 coin cells be too much for it, or would they not be able to provide enough current to drive it to full brightness? How would the bare bulb work without any reflector? Has anybody tried it yet? If so please let us know what happens. I assume there is a reason that lambda offers a modified Key-Mate with the SMJLED as a keychain light but not a photon clone. I'd like to know more about what the problems are.

[edit: I eventually did put a SMJLED into a LRI Photon Freedom microlight, see here for the results.]

Last edited:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
the internal resisance of 2x2016 cells will more than likely stop the led from being overdriven. You'll certainly want an uncut full acrylic on the keychain light to focus the light forward instead of the side emitters. It'd probly be very bright for about 5 mintues, ok for 20minutes and pathetic for another hour. It'd be neet to see though.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
paypal.gif
for three 2-cell PR bulbs!

Monolith

Enlightened
Tried two more lights:

Energizer Worklight 2AA K220WB-E

Energizer Worklight 2D K250WB-E

Both had very small hotspots with a lot of artifacts. Wal-Mart Value Bright 2AA is still king! As a side note, the Wal-Mart Value Brights are different than those listed on the Rayovac website.

Zigzago

Enlightened
I went to Wal-mart to get a Valuebright, but I like pushbutton switches so I got a Garrity G-Tech 2AA for $3.97. Extravagant, you say? Well I guess I was just in a drunken sailor kind of mood. It also has a cool faceted reflector.

DSC00796-sm.jpg

I winced when I saw the incandescent beam - it was full of artifacts. But happily, when I installed the PR-SMJLED, it was quite smooth, with a large hotspot and good spill - exactly what I like.

DSC00799-sm.jpg

The beam is slightly blue, but not as blue as the pictures suggest. I think these bulbs are a great deal, especially for emergency power outage lights. I also like the Garrity light, although I may cut off the knobby rubber grip; it seems unneccessary on a lightweight plastic light.

Last edited:

van1

Newly Enlightened
Just recieved mine today. :wow: Very impressive !! I do have a question though, what type of batteries are recommended?
I have one in a minimag and one in a 2D both are using alkalines right now. I think I would like rechargebles but what type and how much ah should I get.
Thanks ,
keith

van1

Newly Enlightened
:paypal: I'm addicted!!! Paypal sent for 1 AAASMJLED kit 1 IMS SO20XA reflector and 1 SMJLED

thanks,
Keith

jtice

Flashaholic
:paypal: for 2

any chance of making a few 4 cell versions?
I have a few lights that use either 4AAs or 4D,
would make killer LONG runtime emergancy lights.
There are some real cheap 4D Dorcy spotlights they would be great in!

~John

Monolith

Enlightened
Tried the Garrity G-Tech 2AA and 2D lights. Very nice, tend toward the flood side with the 2AA. The nice blended hotspot of the 2AA comes from the shape of the reflector. The 2D is very nice also but more of a throw monster. The faceting of the 2D is very noticeable on the edge of the spill.

I also tried a few more Value Brights (Rayovac) and learned that for 84 cents, quality consistency is not the greatest, but is fair. Apparently, the very first one I tried had a nice round hotspot while the others have a confused hotspot that is not as nicely defined.

A new recommendation for these bulbs comes in the form of the 2D Dorcy Auto Safety Light from Wal-Mart (automotive section) #41-2387, with magnetic base and 180 deg swivel head. It has a sharp focal point that I subdued with diffusing material (tape) to gain more of a flood. The magnetic base allows it to attach to the side of a car, icebox, etc. while the swivel head allows the light to stand in candle mode, 90 deg, or laid down and swiveled up towards the ceiling. This is definitely a true multifunctional emergency light and a keeper at just under $10.

Important Note: The 2D Dorcy Auto Safety Light has reverse polarity. You will need to insert the D cells "backwards" so to speak to get the LED to light.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts