Sodas: The Official CPF Soda Thread!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I tried Zevia grape last week. Think a slightly dry grape soda. Not bitter at all and no funky after taste like other sugar free beverages. Just less sweet.

If you absolutely positively have to have bubble gum sweet grape soda don't try it.

AlienBug

Newly Enlightened
Two regional favorites:

Moxie

Cheerwine

True story - The wife and I road tripped from Connecticut to Georgia about 15 years ago, and when we got south of the Mason Dixon line she starts talking about Chick Fil-A, which t the time was not around in the Northeast.

We stop for lunch at a Chick Fil-A in some small town off the highway in North Carolina. I order a chicken sandwich meal with waffle fries.

Now the girl behind the counter doesn't actually ask what I would like to drink, she spoke a sentence that sounded to my New York-born ears something like:

"Dijoo wahncherWINE witthat?"

Me: "I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that, can you say that again?"

Server (trying not to sound annoyed): "Didjoo wahncherwine witthat?"

Wife (making no effort at all not to sound annoyed): "She's asking if you want Cheerwine with your lunch"

Me: "Um, what is Cheerwine? We still have 300 miles to go."

Wife (sharing eye-roll with server): "It's like a cherry soda. (To the server) - "Yes, he'll have Cheerwine."

StarHalo

Flashaholic
This is a pleasant surprise; a little sweet, a little bitter, beautifully balanced gentle flavor but with big carbonation:

cv0SDKe.jpg

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a kid we use to get a case C&C Cola and a case of White Rock assorted sodas. Pineapple soda was the worst flavor (for me) but their cherry soda was great. Still I wasn't a big soda person and now I rarely drink it except for plain carbonated water.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I was a lad diet drinks were awful. Tab, Fresca etc were less than tastey. Yet round folks with bitter beer face gladly gulped them down. Over the years the zero calorie drinks got a little better but still no go for this soda guy. Yuck. Laying in bed in the evening with a still lingering after taste from one sip of diet Coke……

The blends they are coming out with these days aint half bad. A few calories, a few grams of sugar but normal taste is making me rethink diet soda. Now the craft soda makers should just stick with what they know. If somebody wants a yummy grape, or cherry they probably aren't counting grams anyway.

I still consider myself "a Pepper" but to be honest I don't think I have drank a Dr Pepper in 2020. My mechanic said if he stopped drinking Dr Pepper tomorrow and they tested him for residual he'd probably show positive for 20 years. "That stuff and THC are in my marrow man" he says with a grin.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I have no idea what i did wrong but man o man soda pop is all over kitchen it sounded like a bomb when i opened my home made grape drink

Mister Ed

Administrator
Staff member
Do we have any fans of Cheerwine? I think it's best served over crushed ice....

That and Nugrape...oh boy, if I'm going to enjoy a soda. I like the crushed ice.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I used to collect soda bottles in the 80's from old hillside homeplace trash dumps. Cheerwine bottles were pretty common from dumps going back to the 1930's. I finally found a modern one at a country store and eh, it was ok but it seems that one like some root beer's and ginger ale's is an acquired taste. I mean it was pretty tastey and all but I never persued another one.

Grape soda was once one of my favorite sodas. But one day after I had drank a Stewarts grape soda I gave birth to 11 kidney stones. Coincidence? Well I did not touch grape soda for a couple of years then one day got brave and tried a Sam's grape soda. Low and behold another kidney stone. So another few years later I tried a can of Shasta grape and……yup another kidney stone. That was some 15 years or so ago and last summer I bought a NuGrape in a plastic bottle and no kidney stone was birthed thank goodness.

Back to the old bottles, the holy grail was bottles still full. I had a full NuGrape in mint condition with 1936 stamped on the bottom. It slipped out of my hand and fell onto pavement "SMASH" and fizzed like Alka Seltzer. My brother said "hmm, I always wondered if those things were genuine"……

I kept the bottle cap and buried the bottle.

9943-F754-164-C-4030-8-C86-E954-D6691-EE7.jpg

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
they sell coke in 1l glas bottles again over here like they did in the 80s and its the best thing since regular coke. costs more tho. I drank so much soda when i was really young that caffeine has no effect on me anymore lol. nowadays its mostly still water, and fresh orange juice with dinner. I drink pretty much everything from those cooling glasses that look like thermo glasses but instead of air are filled with coolant. you put them in the freezer and they cool your drinks without ice cubes. best invention ever.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grape soda was once one of my favorite sodas. But one day after I had drank a Stewarts grape soda I gave birth to 11 kidney stones. Coincidence? Well I did not touch grape soda for a couple of years then one day got brave and tried a Sam's grape soda. Low and behold another kidney stone. So another few years later I tried a can of Shasta grape and……yup another kidney stone.
are you allergic to soda or sumthin?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Pure coincidence Olumin.
My family gene pool blesses us with extra uric acid. My sister got arthritis from it and my brothers got gout from it. My dad and I inherited kidney stones.
For him it was iced tea that would cause the tiny little monsters to break free and for me it was grape soda back when we were in our 40's.

Like many, we stayed on the verge of dehydration every winter. Once we both had a few episodes we both learned our lesson, each in his own way but it was the hard way for both of us. lol.

Now days my favorite soda is an orange crush or a sprite. Sometimes dr pepper, but all told I may consume about 2 litres of soda per year.

Mister Ed

Administrator
Staff member
Now days my favorite soda is an orange crush or a sprite. Sometimes dr pepper, but all told I may consume about 2 litres of soda per year.
I've given up soda mostly. However those flavors are also my favorites.

Good reminder to drink double water whatever you drink in soda.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I try for 3:1 on average. Low calorie sports drink like body armor lite, low calorie juices like cran-cherry and spring water these days at 3x water for the other stuff.

The other evening I had a hi c fruit punch.
Yum yum!!