Solar Charger for Eneloop MQR06 Battery Charger?

Opstanak

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

to begin with, I'm not an expert on electricity, so bear with me here. I'm constantly on the field and using AA Eneloop batteries. And while I have enough AAs to last me a few days I do spend weeks sometimes without a power source to charge them. Carrying 50 something AAs is an expensive solution. So, my question is this: is there a solar charger (small enough for single person carry) that I can plug-in my MQR06 Eneloop Charger to fill up my batteries? Is this even possible to do in the field, considering the MQR06 Charger's electricity input requirements?

Also, this question stands for UltraFire LiIon intelligent charger (model WF-139) for AW 18650 batteries.

I've been trying to approach this problem for some time now.

Thanks.

borrower

Enlightened
Have you looked at Cottonpickers solar panel thread over on the marketplace? While they put out DC, I'm sure you could find a suitable eneloop charger that works with them. (I've got one of the panel kits and am very pleased with it.)

CyberCT

Enlightened
I had the same needs as you did in the early summer, and after some research, I ended up buying a solar power battery inverter kit. I plug my Maha 8-Cell AA / AAA charger (I think the MH-8080S) into this kit so I have a constant supply of power. If you plug your charger directly into the solar charger kit which is reliant on having sunlight every second while charging, you will probably end up with power to the charger cutting in and out during the AA charge.

Here's what I use: GoalZero Extreme 350 Adventure Kit
You can leave the whole solar kit charging itself in the car while you're out doing stuff. 350 watt hours should be enough for charging your batteries for two weeks.

Sales Link removed - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Lobstradomus

Newly Enlightened
I was looking to get a solar setup dedicated to Eneloops as well and am thinking about just picking up Sanyo's NC-MDU01 USB charger and pairing it with a cottonpickers large 420ma panel. According to Sanyo's specs their USB charger can take up to 500ma maximum input and put out 450ma to each cell, plus it comes with a pair of Eneloop AA batteries.

Dishonor39

Newly Enlightened
This is the same thing I was wondering. I recently purchased a Sanyo MDU01 (a 2x Eneloop bay with a male usb tip that plugs into a 5v female usb plug) and was looking for the cheapest easiest way to charge a pair of Eneloops. I looked at Cotton Pickers and it looks like he provides a battery charger, I was hoping to just find a solar panel with a 5v output that had a female USB plug. Its my understanding from reading this thread and others like it that the maH output of the panel cannot exceed 450, thats about all I know. Anyone point me in a direction worth heading? Came across this from 2009... anyone know what ever happened to it?

http://en.akihabaranews.com/24022/misc/sanyo-announces-a-new-personal-solar-panel

Last edited:

Opstanak

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys for all the answers. I like the option of having the Goal Zero solar charger because it makes everything simpler. Cottonpicker's panels are fine but I yet have to understand some logic and standards behind using such custom stuff. I'll revive this thread after I learn some more about this topic.