• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD: Mako Flood Titanium, Two-Stage, 1xAAA

phosphor22

Enlightened
Re: FS: Mako Flood Titanium, Two-Stage, 1xAAA

That's off-the grid flashlight territory for sure - what a view - beautiful! The few times I have been to the pacific northwest (mostly urban though - Seattle, Vancouver) I have loved it. And I see smoke from a wood stove -- I have a little cast iron Jotul that I keep stoked in the winter. Nothing like it for warmth, light, coziness. Happy wintering!

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, awesome area for sure. What's the altitude there?

4000' which means pretty short summers, but not complaining, as winters are great excuses to catch up on indoor projects, read forum posts, and stay warm by the fire.

i too lived in SF for a few years, then in the hills near Oroville. Nice places but too crowded for us. seems we make better country hermits than we did city-folks. (like you magellan, i was city raised, in upper manhattan.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow! Off grid for sure!

you bet:

panels-and-ponies.com_zps3rs5wimz.jpg

That's off-the grid flashlight territory for sure - what a view - beautiful! The few times I have been to the pacific northwest (mostly urban though - Seattle, Vancouver) I have loved it. And I see smoke from a wood stove -- I have a little cast iron Jotul that I keep stoked in the winter. Nothing like it for warmth, light, coziness. Happy wintering!

far off-the-grid. had the place almost 40 years now and are so accustom to it that even towns of a few hundred feel crowded to us, really.

yep, we heat only with wood. our stove is an old Cawley-LeMay we bought new in the 70's. still runs great. it was designed by a couple fellows back east who grew up using jotul and morseth stoves. its a bit more american in size.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie

4000' which means pretty short summers, but not complaining, as winters are great excuses to catch up on indoor projects, read forum posts, and stay warm by the fire.

i too lived in SF for a few years, then in the hills near Oroville. Nice places but too crowded for us. seems we make better country hermits than we did city-folks. (like you magellan, i was city raised, in upper manhattan.

Very cool. I once visited New Pine Creek, said to be Oregon's highest town way in the east, and was quite taken with the place.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast

coyote, you are living my dream.

honestly eala, its not the easy dream folks would imagine. everything is much harder, there is no one to call or turn to for help/support/services, costs for some things are far higher, medical services hours away, no jobs (i had to invent one), and even going to the store or mailbox is an all-day affair. but then again,we are happy here.

Very cool. I once visited New Pine Creek, said to be Oregon's highest town way in the east, and was quite taken with the place.

you're right, NPC is a nice little town we drive thru there now and then and have the same feeling you did :)

magellan

Honorary Aussie

honestly eala, its not the easy dream folks would imagine. everything is much harder, there is no one to call or turn to for help/support/services, costs for some things are far higher, medical services hours away, no jobs (i had to invent one), and even going to the store or mailbox is an all-day affair. but then again,we are happy here.

you're right, NPC is a nice little town we drive thru there now and then and have the same feeling you did :)

It's quite amazing you're able to do that. I've only known a few city people who ever went totally off the grid and they spent a few years learning the back woods, hunting, fishing, carpentry, electrical, ranching, farming, and other skills needed.

Last edited:

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's quite amazing you're able to do that. I've only known a few city people who ever went totally off the grid and they spent a few years learning the back woods, hunting, fishing, carpentry, electrical, ranching, farming, and other skills needed.

in the early 70's we decided to get out of the city (SF) so drove around for months looking for the right place. found eastern oregon to our liking. took employment that would teach us the type of skills we'd need to live a remote lifestyle (we worked as surveyor, architectural draftsman, realtor, construction, USFS inspector, map maker, sporting goods sales...), purchased some very remote bare property, worked double shifts for 12 years to pay the mortgage off while on weekends we built the tiny cabin we now live in, and once it was paid-in-full, we give up city life and moved up with no savings/income/jobs... nothing but a few hand tools and a 20 year old truck. no electricity, no phone, no refrigerator, no indoor water, no toilet, no generator, not even an access road, and of course, no world wide web! :)

so we learned all those skills you mentioned as we went, lived hand-to-mouth, took any jobs we could find (construction, logging, fence building, day-riding, magazine writing and photography, criminal investigator, etc) while continuing to live on the place and getting things in working order.

we've been here almost 30 years full-time now and we know we made the right choice, for us. it hasn't been easy but its always been exciting, interesting and challenging. and yes, we still use an outhouse.

fyi - for the last ten years we've run an internet business (Wild Dog Studios), plus patti still day-rides moving cattle in the wilderness, pre-dawn to dusk, alone all summer long. she's the more impressive of us.

anyone who's handy, likes to do things themselves, has some self-confidence and drive, not scared to take chances, and willing to do without, can do what we've done. if you're of that sort of mindset, don't put it off, just do it. life is too damn short to put anything off, really.

nbp

Flashaholic
Coyote, why aren't you posting in the new Adventuring and Questing subforum yet?! Your life is an adventure! :bow: Very cool, I'm sure you have some great campfire stories.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Coyote, why aren't you posting in the new Adventuring and Questing subforum yet?! Your life is an adventure! :bow: Very cool, I'm sure you have some great campfire stories.
+1; In fact, I'm thinking that at least a few of the posts in this sale thread ;) could be moved to form a new thread there perhaps? :)

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh heck, yeah sure kestrel, i'd try playing along for a while (but its hard to believe anyone would be that interested)