• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Spare battery carrier ideas

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spare 16340 battery carrier w built in USB charger, free shipping, and battery included ;-)

Sofirn SC21 Pro comes stock with High CRI SDR50

emkxeym.jpg

(lights in photo have been modded to NB30)

If you just want a battery case, these look pretty good to me:

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually carry a spare light, instead of a spare battery

Both of these have built in USB charging:
7H3Zmee.jpg

Sofirn SC21 Pro uses 16340 only, shown w a stock "SDV50". Sofirn HS10 on right has sw45k swap (and works on both CR123 or 16340)

the HS10 is on sale for under $20, shipped free, w 16340 battery and headband included.

Choice of High CRI Samsung LH351d in 5000K, 4000K, or 2700K,

3_gun

Enlightened
My favorite spare carrier is a 2nd flashlight first followed by an old pill bottle. Tighten the top down on an O-ring or rubber-band to improve water tightness (if needed).

indigon

Enlightened
I guess carrying a second light as backup makes sense but not too practical on a keychain. I actually forgot that little titanium fob holder with a cr123a in it was on my keychain. I've never used it. (I think I gave a couple batteries away to others over the years though). Those lights with a built in USB charger port look cool but require a power source, and is just another thing to go wrong with the light. I learned many years ago the chances an HDS light is going to fail you are negligible unless you lose it. I've had a few close calls but never lost one, so I don't pack a spare light anymore. JMHO.

Edited to add: I believe on a longer adventure or for critical work it is prudent to pack a backup light, but for normal daily EDC I don't worry.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
They weren't just battery holders. They were a body and switch as well so you had a backup. Very cool

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Since I don't use a sheath on my belt for the light I carry, I use the sheath that fits the light as a battery carrier. A double a minimag sheath for example can carry 6 triple a cells for the 2x aaa minimag I use. Or 2 double a if using that version. Pelican M6 lights came with a sheath that has a spot for two spares. If the light isn't in the sheath, 4 more cr123's can work.

muichimon

Newly Enlightened
They weren't just battery holders. They were a body and switch as well so you had a backup. Very cool
I didn't know it doubled as a body tube and switch. I heard that the price of the battery holder was expensive, but I agree.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I didn't know it doubled as a body tube and switch. I heard that the price of the battery holder was expensive, but I agree.
They were on the expensive side. But many got them from a company that is now out of business for something like $10 a piece. God I miss them days.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Wait a minute; wouldn't a metal container short the battery? They would need some sort of non conductive inner lining or be made of plastic. Maybe im not getting something here.
HDS battery tubes had a piece of plastic on both caps.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite spare carrier is a 2nd flashlight first followed by an old pill bottle.
good idea ;-)

0krdjFA.jpg

---
A note about spare batteries, CR123 vs 16340.. (simplest to carry the same chemistry as in the light)

If you run the light on LiIon but choose to carry CR123 as a backup
You must take deliberate action to turn off the LVP when you start using CR123 after LiIon..

because
If the light is running on LiIon, the HDS driver enables LVP for LiIon automatically.
(LVP shuts the light off when voltage drops below 3V, but a CR123 is still more than half full at 3V)

If you switch to a CR123 battery after using LiIon, the LVP does not turn off automatically. You must do a battery detect reset when switching to CR123

here are the instructions to do a battery detect reset:

"No special actions are needed to use rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries. Your flashlight detects them automatically.

However, if you have been using rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries and want to return to using regular (non-rechargeable) batteries, you must perform a reset. The simplest way to perform a reset is to turn on your flashlight (with the button released) and open the battery compartment until your flashlight turns off and then replace the battery compartment.

If you fail to perform a reset when returning to using non-rechargeable batteries, your flashlight will act as if the new non- rechargeable battery needs replacing – just do a reset to restore normal operation."

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used an Oveready battery capsule (fits 18350- I'm using a CR123 with sleeve) or a PK-PR1 as a battery holder/spare light.

Now that I have the 18500 HDS, I usually don't carry a spare unless I have my bag with me or I'm going for a latenight/ overnight trip somewhere.
F52943D6-0094-4BF9-8B34-C5162B34D091.jpeg

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking about an 18500 headlamp but I'm spoiled and Zebralight doesn't make any.

Maybe HDS will do a run of 18500 headlamps if we ask Hogo very very nicely.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope they work well for you... do you use 18350?

else, that seller is planning to make 16340 size also..

Latest posts