Spot to flood

nightowl66

Newly Enlightened
I live in the sticks and always carry a light to see if anything is lurking in the yard and since I work nights I'm out at night a lot. I bought a convoy c8 but wanted more of a flood so I got the s2+ and really like it. What I would really like would be the 2 combined, to go from the flood of the s2+ to the spot of the c8.
Is there anything out there like that?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think many folks here prefer to have two lights, just in case, so having one with a narrow, throwy beam, and one with more of a flood beam is typically not an issue, however, you might want to check out the Ledlenser line of lights.

benedictine

Newly Enlightened
If you aren't fussed with tint, LED Lenser has probably got the best spot to flood focusing system in the market.

But I find that virtually all of their lights are waaaay too cool white (with very blue-ish tint). Only exception to that would be the P7QC imho which is a bit more neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I found a light by Energizer at my local Lowes hardware store the can do spot, flood or both depending on how long you hold the on button. It is a light with 3 LED's that has one covered by a honeycomb type diffuser.
Intele-beam I think it's called. It was $20 If I recall correct.

D6-B61-D81-E3-F9-415-E-9812-6-F8-F999-AF521.jpg

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could buy/make a diffuser lens for the C8 that would turn it into a flood light.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yup Fenix has a lot line of adjustable lights.doubt they will be equally good at throwing as what you got though

Candlestick

Newly Enlightened
Maglite anyone?
I personally avoid twisty lens type lights ever since having one break on me in record time. Pocket carry inevitably leads to lint and dust in moving parts. I like Zebralight type headlamp flood for really close up work and a standard beam for anything farther out.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite anyone?
I personally avoid twisty lens type lights ever since having one break on me in record time. Pocket carry inevitably leads to lint and dust in moving parts. I like Zebralight type headlamp flood for really close up work and a standard beam for anything farther out.

The Maglites I've used recently don't really do flood unless you remove the head for candle mode.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Coast Poly Steel lights might do the trick for you.

Beautiful flood, impressive bulls-eye spot.

I find the neutral tint quite acceptable.

nightowl66

Newly Enlightened
How would the Coast Polysteel 600 compare to the Convot S2+ and the C8? The Convoys are supposed to be 900-1000 lumens. Don't know if they are really that much. The Coast 600, 710 lumans.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think that the Convoy S2+ and C8 are adjustable focus (spot to flood) like the Coast Polysteel and their other Pure Focus lights.

I don't own any Convoy lights, yet.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED Lenser MT10 is spot-to-flood (max 1000 lumens) and features an excellent beam pattern at all zoom settings. It's a bit large for EDC though. But on the upside, the battery compartment has enough room you can replace the stock 18650 cell with a 20700 cell for more capacity.

If you want something a bit more compact I suggest the Wowtac A3S. It's the best compact stock zoomie flashlight around. Especially when you replace the stock 18650 battery tube with a Convoy S2+ 18350 tube.

Last edited:

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
bought a convoy c8 but wanted more of a flood so I got the s2+ and really like it. What I would really like would be the 2 combined, to go from the flood of the s2+ to the spot of the c8.
Is there anything out there like that?

I bought several specimens of both models.
If you are looking for an economic light I have found a good compromise with the Convoy M2, it has a wider beam than the C8 but still has enough throw.

nightowl66

Newly Enlightened
If you want something a bit more compact I suggest the Wowtac A3S. It's the best compact stock zoomie flashlight around. Especially when you replace the stock 18650 battery tube with a Convoy S2+ 18350 tube.
Looking at this, but after reading reviews the battery that comes with it is a little longer than normal 18650's so you have to stick with the battery that comes with it.
Amazon prime day in a couple weeks. I'll keep an eye on a few lights for deals.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at this, but after reading reviews the battery that comes with it is a little longer than normal 18650's so you have to stick with the battery that comes with it.
Amazon prime day in a couple weeks. I'll keep an eye on a few lights for deals.

Wowtac A3S is a great zoomie. Features a perfect artifact-free beam pattern in all zoom positions, excellent UI and good beam quality.

However, I did find mine a bit long for EDC. I replaced the stock 18650 tube with a much smaller 18350 Convoy tube. Had to add a C-Ring made from scrap copper to get good battery contact. Result is a much more compact and practical zoomie. Much better size for pocket EDC, though still not perfect (head is a little wide for pocket use).

I've tried dozens of EDC-size small zoomies, and I think the Wowtac A3S is the best of the bunch when used with 18350 tube.

nightowl66

Newly Enlightened
Wowtac A3S is a great zoomie. Features a perfect artifact-free beam pattern in all zoom positions, excellent UI and good beam quality.

However, I did find mine a bit long for EDC. I replaced the stock 18650 tube with a much smaller 18350 Convoy tube. Had to add a C-Ring made from scrap copper to get good battery contact. Result is a much more compact and practical zoomie. Much better size for pocket EDC, though still not perfect (head is a little wide for pocket use).

I've tried dozens of EDC-size small zoomies, and I think the Wowtac A3S is the best of the bunch when used with 18350 tube.

I might go ahead and get one of these, I'm not looking to use it as a EDC. Is there a way to use normal 18650's in it?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try bending the tailcap spring so it is longer. Or replace it with a longer spring. Or add a piece of metal to close the gap.