SSC Acriche?

fyrstormer

Banned
It seems Seoul Semiconductors is making special LEDs (branded Acriche) that have a forward voltage of 110V, and supposedly they can be connected to 110V AC without needing any special equipment (except a heatsink, of course). I seem to be doing it wrong, though, because I'm getting nowhere with the couple of samples I bought from SuperBrightLEDs.com.

Does anyone know what the proper way is to wire an Acriche LED? The samples I have are mounted on octagonal PCBs with resistors(?) pre-attached, but nothing else besides a pair of unmarked solder pads.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should be able to connect the AC hot to one pad and the neutral to the other. The circuitry shouldn't care about the phase.

fyrstormer

Banned
Should be able to connect the AC hot to one pad and the neutral to the other. The circuitry shouldn't care about the phase.
That's what I did; I used some thick stiff wire (okay, repurposed paper clips) and bent them into shapes that would allow them to be soldered to the solder pads and have both wires stick off to one side like a small halogen desk lamp bulb. No dice. I even took a power cord and attached alligator clips to the wires, then tested various exposed metal parts on the LED (not counting the aluminum base, of course), and I got nowhere. Infinite resistance, no light, not even an impressive POP! when I plugged it into the wall. I'm stumped.

Garibaldi

Newly Enlightened
Did you attach to the solder pads beside the resistors or directly to the LED mounting pads first? Are you sure you have the 110v version and not the 220v?

Illum

Flashaholic
hmm...

Datasheets: http://www.acriche.com/en/product/prd/acriche.asp

Pictures: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/224752
Rehosted here: SSC Acriche 110VAC 4W

Now...from the looks of it it shouldn't be phased by the phase waveform, but I'm not so sure about the removal of the 60Hz flickering...unless there's a capacitor somewhere that buffers it.

Vf: 100, 110, 220, 230...gee, it covered just about all the voltages around Korea... Database made no mention of 50/60 Hz compatibility or with what US uses [125VAC 60Hz]

[International Voltage Chart]

For LED type AX3211 Vf: 110V the Iled is only 60ma at 125V...so Its going to be very very efficient compared even to CFLs if a single (or array of) LED can satisfy a given lighting requirement.

There appears to be existing heatsinks developed for it...but given the size of it I would try something else...something wider, not necessarily thicker.
Depending on installation limitations and selected placement I think an AC driven, low RPM box type fan should have sufficient airflow in active cooling a 7.5W capable heatsink without much noise... :)

Last edited:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
try reflowing the connections? just take a soldering iron, melt the solder that is holding the legs to the star. when it melts, make sure it is touching everything it should be and remove heat. also, examine bond wires.